baumer

Red Dawn (2012)

14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Red Dawn is a remake of the 1984 action film Red Dawn. It features high schoolers fighting back against invaders, in the remake North Koreans, in their hometown of Spokane, Washington.There are a lot of issues with this film but the most glaring is that none of the characters have an arc. The worst offender is Matt Eckert (played by Josh Peck). Throughout much of the film Matt Eckert is so focused on getting his girlfriend back that he puts the entire group in danger, even getting one of his friends killed. But instead of redeeming himself and not quite being such an a-hole, he goes gets his brother, Jed Eckert (played by Chris Hemsworth) killed. It is truly one of the most quizzical moments of film when the singular character who is always rushing things along despite death and mayhem surrounding the group, gets killed by stopping and relaxing. It doesn't even fit the character that has been established in the previous hour and half. Oh don't worry. Peace signs fix everything.There are a lot of explosions in this. It's too be expected with such a big undertaking, what with a country getting invaded and all. Explosions usually happen with a lot of space, but this film felt very restricted. There seemed to be only 3 or 4 locations in this film. And for all the talk of a Free America, most of the action took place indoors and behind cover. That wouldn't have been so bad if the film's perspective was not so restricted on the group's little issues. An entire country is getting invaded I am supposed to care whether one of the brother's hooks up or not? I mean I can understand the younger brother's relationship since it happened prior to the invasion but the extra tacked on relationship in order to garner more emotion from the unseen twist felt really cheap.All the action takes place in a bubble. How do you become an expert insurgent fighter like the Mujahadeen and the Minute Men? A montage. North Korea invaded the entire USA except this little forest right next to the cabin where the kids are staying. These are either the dumbest invaders in the world or they are the stupidest invaders in the world.This movie also did something really interesting. In a stupid way. You see there were too many characters in this little bubble and not enough screentime for them all. So they did what anyone would do. Kill the ancillary characters and play up the emotion. Like there is this random couple who somehow hitches a ride with Robert (Josh Hutcherson) who just saw their dad die (more tears) not even 3 scenes later and the male half couple is dead.Maybe this film would have been better under it's original form, before MGM went bankrupt. And it was. it just was released in 1984.

I enjoyed it. It's a little campy and hokey but so was the original. You have to suspend disbelief first and foremost and just accept that North Korea could somehow get their troops here without being blown out of the sky first, but once you do that, or once I did that, I enjoyed the performance of many of the leads, especially Thor. He anchors the film and you really believe he can lead the team to do the things they do. And I laughed out loud (because it was fun a good homage to the first) when they first stand up and shout WOLVERINES!6/10

• Like 1

I've seen both. I would say they're fairly comparable. I suppose it would have been easier to suspend your disbelief with the premise of the 80's version(I did first watch it in the 80's and several times since) then it is with 2010-12 version. I still don't understand why they didn't just keep the invaders as the Chinese. It would have made far more sense on just practical grounds and its not as if it was ever getting released in China.The original had better character development. The new version has a more urban setting and better production values.If you enjoyed the original I'd give the new one at least one viewing.

• Like 2

I knew it wasn't going to be good but I was shocked by just how bad it was.

The plot.

Posted Image

The dialogue:

Posted Image

And the Godforsaken 'acting':

Posted Image

I must say it was the acting which got me the most. Everyone in the cast gave the worst performance I have ever seen them give (I was especially stunned by how bad Josh Peck was). This really has to be the worst thing I have seen all year! And in saying that let me add that I watched Liz and Dick and most episodes of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.

• Like 3

this movie is so improbable and so preposterous, at first i was wtf wtf but then i chose to laugh about it, because seriously that's the only way to swallow this movie

north korea of all nation invading USA lollllllllll, i'd believe russia or china in a blink of the eye before them

group of green teenagers learned to be a proficient unit in a week? to level they could take on trained army 

did the NK army woke up one morning and said hey let's invade america and everyone just went along with it bwa ha ha ha ha

did they invade canada? what was their goal 

i'm suppose to believe gun-ho trigger happy america (this is one instance where this tendency might cme in handy) just meekly bent their knee? where was the national guard reserves 

i'd have believe this story faster if it was aliens !!! 

all that aside i can't believe chris hemsworth played in this film!  either he filmed this before he became a popular actor or he figured well the economy being what it is i better grab the paycheck

Edited by ladyevenstar22

So glad this tanked at the box office. 

It also rubs egg all over the face of anyone who says that Marvel has any impact on making actors marketable.

DC doesn't either.  Bale can't open a film either.