baumer

Rise of the Guardians

20 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Rise of the Guardians is the story of a group of legends of childhood (Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and the Sandman) who band together after the Boogyman scares the hope and wonder of children. In order to stop this powerful foe, they recruit Jack Frost is still trying to understand his fate.Rise of the Guardians is an unapologetic kid's movie. Unlike some other films that have winks to adults, there is nothing here. It is all about the kids. In that stead, this is where the film falters. People speak to each other by monologues. There is goofy physical humor. Everyone explains their motivations really slowly and in BIG CAPITAL LETTERS. And yet, there is something more here.If you are planning on seeing this, make sure to get the 3D ticket. The visuals are on par with Avatar. You see these Guardians are not just Guardians on Earth but they each have their own different worlds. The 3D is not used too pop out at you but to immerse you into each of their worlds. This is mostly apparent by the silent Sandman who uses streams of sand to create dreams of each kid that are then conceptualized into 3D moving things, like a unicorn. And as the camera pans around, even the most stalwart person would submit to it.This movie is like Avengers for kids. From Jude Law's performance and actions as the Boogyman, who sometimes goes by Pitch Black, (he turns Guardians against each other). To the camera pan of the heros all together as they recover from fighting back the nightmares. It's really interesting to see. It's like visual candy. Something I did not like was emo Jack Frost's subplot. Yes once you realize that he became Jack frost by saving his sister and his untimely demise, it really hits but his moping around for 90% of the film feels out of place with most of the hijinks taking place in Santa's north pole. I think if his subplot wasn't such a downer in an otherwise light film, I would have gave it a better grade. Overall, I give it a B because I did not really connect to the clunky Man on the Moon stuff but the visuals overtake everything.

• Like 1

Outstanding movie. We'll see it again.A little slow at the beginning as each main characters assemble then it picked up.My 10 year old son actually sat forward in his chair 2-3 times which I've never seen him do before.

Something I did not like was emo Jack Frost's subplot.

Jack Frost's story was the plot... the boogeyman was the vehicle to tell it.

The template was here for a GREAT film but something's missing. It feels awfully slight, even though it has all the right payoffs and right moments in a structural sense. It's certainly engaging on a modest scale, but it's not specific, funny, clever, or surprising enough to rank with the best of animation this year.

What an utterly mediocre, bland and uninspired movie. I mean gee, its just.. nothing. There's nothing to attach yourself to, there's no fun to be had, theres no cleverness or energy, theres no visual splendor that makes you go "Wow, thats pretty cool". Its just an odorless fart of an animation that I imagine only really small kids would enjoy. 

2/5

Edited by Jack Nevada

So underrated and such a shame it was a disappointment at the BO. I thought it was fantastic. There were a few uninspired lines and the beginning could have been a tad more magical, but I loved how the movie too itself more seriously and focused more on the magic rather than the humor. It was also incredibly touching.

A

The visuals in this movie were incredible.  Especially the sand particles and Jack's ice.  Also some of the backgrounds like the Tooth Fairy's castle and the clouds were beautiful as well.

The movie actually started out well enough too for me, but delved way too far into the generic cliche ending in the 3rd act.  Everything was too by the numbers and cheesy even for children's film standards.  If the ending had maintained the same kind of tone and maturity as the rest of the film, I would have given it an A but it was more of a B+ for me.