baumer

Silver Linings Playbook

64 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

A

Who would have thought ?

;)

Zero Dark Thirty is still the best movie of 2012 though.

David O Russell has a way with actors few directors have, everybody in the cast brings their A game, even the minor roles.

SLP loosing ensemble to Argo was  kind of a travesty because you feel the energy about this ensemble how the actors bounce off each other. There s an energy and a realness to all these performances that enable you to relate to all these characters.

You know what, I think the craziest character was De Niro's, the way everything in his life is linked to the EAGLES is crazy. And De Niro sold it and nailed it, so glad to see him playing such a unique character.

Bradley and Jen, I don't remember the last time I saw such great chemistry between two leads in a romantic situation, each scene they have is electric.

Their couple seems so natural, they fed off each other so well, I think they really became great pals during the shoot to have that ease and energy.

Can't wait to see what they did together in Serena.

Bradley gives the performance of his carreer and now everybody in Hollywood has the memo : the guy can fucking act and I hope he ll have more great parts in the future, he deserves it. He s rumored to be even better in The Place beyond the Pines.

Jen, well, Winter's Bone, Hunger Games and now this. This is not a coincidence. She has it , I don't know what it is but she does.

The range of emotions and state of minds she has in this , such a rich character. From crazyness to despair to joy to sadness ...

The despair in Jen/Tiffany's eyes when she sees Pat's wife before the big dance : I was sad like a little puppy.

And that don't bullshit a bullshitter Jen's stare , love it.

Oh, and she says "Fucker" like nobody else ...

I know he is a quote whore, but Peter Travers of Rolling Stone gives the best summary of Jen's performance in SLP, quote :

"She's rude, dirty, funny, foulmouthed, sloppy, sexy, vibrant andvulnerable, sometimes all in the same scene, even in the same breath. Nolist of Best Actress Oscar contenders would be complete without theelectrifying Lawrence in the lead. She lights up the screen."

The big house scene when Tiffany explodes in the room in front of everybody is the most beautiful  declaration of love I ve seen in a long time.

Such a good feel good movie, the last  scene has such peace and tenderness to it, after all the crazyness.

And no, romantic comedy is not a dirty word.

There.

I loved this movie, so much.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 6

As far as romantic comedies go, it's about as good as it gets and a masterpiece of the genre.

Unfortunately, a masterpiece of the rom-com genre apparently has the typical rom-com ending.  It's still pretty great, and one of the year's best.  It's kind of disappointing in that the film had really come into its own prior to the last half hour, and was really hitting its stride.  The characters and situations felt real, and it was turning into one of those experiences when you forget you're watching a movie.

The ending doesn't totally derail the movie, but rather it simply makes you wonder if we'd be looking at the runaway best film of the year if not for the foray into cliches at the end.

B+

• Like 2

I was kinda on the fence how to start my major write up ... and then as usual I realized I don't need it I'll just keep it brief 

Forgive me for this but this just may be the biggest conformist film I ever saw 

There's no acting there's only yelling ... but because lines are being yelled out by young and hot actors its considered good acting apparently 

Its no different than your regular rom com ... except that its worse cause it tries so hard to be this quasi serious film but to me it only ends up with some white american problems that only they can relate to 

In the end this takes the crown for the most overrated film of 2012 

4/10 

• Like 3

Lawrence, Cooper, and DeNiro are absolutely magical. Despite the great performances, I am slightly baffled at how some people consider this to be the best movie of 2012. In what way? I appreciate the sensitivity of O'Russell's direction and the charming script (that unfortunately descends into pure formula in the last ten minutes), but it thinks its more than it really is. I've had a bit of time to think about this film, and while I wouldn't say the tonal shift between the romantic comedy and mental illness is necessarily jarring, it is definitely noticeable (especially once the dance practicing starts and the mental illness issue takes a severe backseat). 

There's a lot of fun to be had, and it's often charming, but it doesn't pack much of a punch at all. It's pretty forgettable aside from the performances, and even those are inundated by the ending. It tried to be more than it was.

B

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 2

It's a charming film. I love the tonal shifts. It mixes comedy, drama and romance in a brilliant way. I love the energy that David O' Russell brings to the movie and the performances are all great. I think that Cooper steals the show though. The third act is pretty comnventional and cliche though so that brings it down a bit.

I don't think it's a masterpiece or anything close (it's not even David O' Russell's best film) but it's a well made, intelligent, lovable and kinda twisted rom-com.

The absolute definition of a mediocre movie. Fine prformances by Lawrence and Cooper. Deniro is ok. The mother has the same expression the entire movie. The pacing is off and the script is irritating at times. I just did not feel the chemistry between the two leads and the script fails badly in building their relationship. 

B-/C+

The absolute definition of a mediocre movie. Fine prformances by Lawrence and Cooper. Deniro is ok. The mother has the same expression the entire movie. The pacing is off and the script is irritating at times. I just did not feel the chemistry between the two leads and the script fails badly in building their relationship. 

B-/C+

Thank god I'm not alone 

I thought there was something wrong with me 

I felt pretty much the same minus the acting props as I do not consider constant yelling legitimate acting 

and LOL at Lawrence for winning over Riva 

such a shameful win I get sick in my stomach just thinking about it 

Edited by Crusader