baumer

Silver Linings Playbook

64 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This has taken its place as the best comedy I have seen in years, romantic or otherwise. As one could very easily expect out of a movie from David O. Russell, it's unconventional (at least in the types of characters it focuses on), quirky, and crafted with so much energy that it almost feels as if the action is going to burst right off the screen. However, it also hits the bullseye in being a charming and poignant film about finding love and happiness in spite of the obstacles along the way. Such a description of the film may sound a little trite on paper, but Russell and all others involved do so much to either rewrite or eschew the standard formula for arriving at the happy ending that twists that might feel forced in a lesser movie feel fresh and organic to the story at hand (even the note, whose rather obvious "twist" makes sense given what we know about the characters and the situation they find themselves in). Much has already been said about Jennifer Lawrence's work, but the performance that really blew me away here was that of Bradley Cooper. In his previous work, Cooper struck me as being "just" a good actor whose charisma could make potentially unlikable characters stick. While there's certainly an element of that ability on display in this film, it's not just surface work he does with Pat; he really digs deep into this character and finds both the pain that plagues him and the fierce determination that motivates him to get better. Despite the loudness of some of his scenes, Cooper's performance is so grounded in humanity that Pat seems more like a person than an invention. However, Lawrence is definitely no slouch; in fact, she has no trouble whatsoever playing against type as an often coarse and bitter, but ultimately well-meaning person. Like Cooper, Lawrence finds both the pain and the optimism in her character, and works both angles with equal skill. Both of them deserve significant recognition for their work. While the destination the film ultimately arrives at is predictable, the path it takes to getting there is a joy to watch, as each individual scene feels like a success in its own way, and as the film is so consistently in touch with powerful emotions that it feels like something that truly comes from the heart. No movie this year has affected me as greatly as this one, and the bar is now raised high for the remaining contenders.

A

• Like 5

After such an awful day and terrible tragedy, this movie cheered me up big time and made everything a little bright. What a fantastic movie, best of the year so far. As somebody with major OCD and minor anger issues (not near on that level, but still) it really hit home with me. Cooper, who didn't do a thing for me in anything before this, was incredible. Jennifer Lawrence was so gorgeous AND wonderful, best female performance all year. Robert De Niro is the best he's been since Cape Fear, if Alan Arkin gets nominated over him it's a tragedy. A+

• Like 2

Movie was AMAZINGLY good. Totally unexpected. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence gave some great performances, though I felt like Bradley Cooper was a tad bit better. Robert De Niro was also great as Jack Sr. Best he's been since Meet The Parents. Very underrated performance. The film was totally predictable, but I was still amazed with every aspect of it. Due to the great direction by David O'Russel, the handful of fine performances, and the enthralling plot.I give it an A.

Edited by FilmBuff
  • Like 1

I enjoyed it a lot, although I thought the first half was stronger than the second half. David O. Russell is really good at these off-kilter variations on typical genres and stories. Solid acting all around, although I was most impressed with Cooper (Lawrence and DeNiro were fine, but I thought he was the standout).

B+

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

I enjoyed it a lot, although I thought the first half was stronger than the second half. David O. Russell is really good at these off-kilter variations on typical genres and stories. Solid acting all around, although I was most impressed with Cooper (Lawrence and DeNiro were fine, but I thought he was the standout).

B+

Sure just bring the mood down. BOOOOOOO. :)

I saw this earlier today. I really liked it. Cooper and DeNiro were great. I will admit that being from Philly and an Eagles fan added even more to the comedic parts for me.Glad I had a free ticket so I could finally see the movie.A/A-

WOW just saw this today, the acting is great here. Cooper De Niro and Lawrence are all great, the story was entertaining, and the jokes are funny. Also where in the hell has Chris Tucker been?? Its kind of funny that he isn't around in movies for the longest of time then reappears out of nowhere in this little role. Anyway great film I personally can't wait to watch it again and will no doubt be in my top 5. A+

• Like 1

I loved Lawrence in this, so feisty, so real and so likable at the same time. The scene where she reads the last letter from Cooper is priceless.

• Like 4

So, I just finished watching this, and I have to say, I was impressed. It has to be one of the best movies I have seen recently (Along with Perks and The Prestige)First, let me start with Lawrence. This being the first movie I watch with her in it, I don't understand the "Lawrence should win an Oscar" hype. I think it's only because she was nominated for it once, and now it was nominated again for a stronger interpretation (Still weaker than other BA contenders in my opinion), and that automatically means that she has to win it. NO.I have to say that Cooper's interpretation impressed me more than Lawrence's. Before I ever laid an eye on this, I thought, since the buzz was there, that Lawrence was just outstanding and Cooper was just... there. But man oh man, did I love Cooper's interpretation.I mean I actually felt so sorry for him that I just wanted to hug my screen. He had funny scenes, but they mostly ended up with him mentioning his wife, and that just made me feel ... don't know. He just nailed this character so much that I think, if there wasn't Daniel Day-Lewis with his Lincoln role, Cooper would have a shot at winning this. I do hope that for once, the Academy really messes shit up and gives Cooper the Oscar... (No hate for Daniel Day-Lewis now!)As for supporting. DeNiro did an awesome job and I was truly moved by his speech when he said that they need to be together (When he told Pat to go and watch the game together). Seeing him in tears, It just moved me deeply... Top notch scene.Weaver, though... OH MY GOD. She was awesome as the Rain Woman. All she did was cry through the entire movie for the love of the god, and they honestly gave her an Oscar nomination?Fuck dat shit - Hand me the onions, I'm going for my Oscar!A+

• Like 2