CoolioD1

Film Critics Awards 2012 (Winners in 1st post)

I kinda resent that. I'm not in any film's camp. I want to see Les Mis as much as ZD30 or Django. I'm not a loonie who picks a movie and defends it while hating all other contenders. That's not my style. I enjoy following the race, but awards in the end mean absolutely shit. They aren't a true measure of a movie.I'm being honest about Les Mis. Today doesn't affect its front-runner status. It's going to be the most nominated film come January. It wasn't really expected to win anything today. I certainly wasn't expecting it to. Rachel Weisz won Actress instead of Chastain and Lawrence; does that mean she's the front-runner for Actress now? Chicago didn't win at the NYFCC ten years ago. That didn't seem to hurt it.

-Reviews-The other actresses available-what the hell is a Rachel Weisz who was predicting her. Not even listed on Gold Derby, etc.Sally Field over Anne Hathaway? Haven't seen Les Mis of course, but still.Supporting actor don't even get me started.

Have you seen the movie Rachel Weisz won for?

There's so many great Oscar contenders this year that it'll be tough determining a frontrunner. All we can say is good for Lincoln and ZDT. Wait and see on Les Mis. Argo and Master need some love from the other critics groups, though...

• Like 1

I think the only important stories are Weisz and MM. This will give AMPAS members and other voters something to think about. That's it. It doesn't change the equation with regards to movies like Lincoln, ZDT, Les Miz, Argo etc. as almost every voter will probably end up seeing these movies and they will make up their mind regardless of what critics think. Even DDL and Field's wins won't change anything as they are top contenders and everyone knows it.

Edited by TLK

Don`t know if this has been posted but great read:

http://blogs.artinfo...thirty-lincoln/

Several perennial contenders, notably Paul Thomas Anderson’s “The Master,” but also Wes Anderson’s “Moonrise Kingdom” and David O. Russell’s “The Silver Lining Playbook,” effectively shut out. The meeting, chaired by Joshua Rothkopf of Time Out New York, was amiable but consensus proved elusive. No film won on the first ballot and several took as many as four.

The sense that we were in for a long day was apparent from the onset. Benh Zeitlin’s “Beasts of the Southern Wild”, a heavy favorite for Best First Feature, fell one vote short of a first ballot victory and one voter shy of a second ballot win, ultimately defeated by a single vote on the third ballot by the documentary “How to Survive a Plague.” Ken Burns’ documentary “The Central Park Five” came from well behind in the pack to push aside the first ballot leaders, “The Gate Keepers” and “This is Not a Film,” on the fourth ballot.

Tim Burton’s “Frankenweenie” needed two ballots to win Best Animated Film over Pixar’s “Brave” and the Focus Features release “ParaNorman,” in a race that saw a number of abstentions and included votes for several CGI-driven features, notably “The Hobbit” and “The Life of Pi.”

Fish:LOL at voting for TH and LoP as Animated Movies.However, I don`t like that TH wa smentioned at all. Damn, this shit is happening again. :angry:

Although a heavy favorite, Michael Haneke’s “Amour” still required three votes to prevail over Leos Carax’s “Holy Motors” and Nuri Bilge Ceylan’s “Once Upon a Time in Anatolia.”

In the acting awards, Sally Fields (“Lincoln”) finally defeated initial front-runner Anne Hathaway (“The Dark Knight Rises” and “Les Miserables”) for Best Supporting Actress on a fourth ballot while, in a rare second ballot win, Matthew McConaughey (“Magic Mike” and “Bernie”) beat out Christoph Waltz (“Django Unchained”) and Tommy Lee Jones (“Lincoln”).

Fish:Notice that Waltz is placed in Supporting although Weistein campaigns him in the Lead.

The closest and most surprising race saw Rachel Weisz (“The Deep Blue Sea”) edged Jennifer Lawrence (“The Hunger Games” and “The Silver Lining Playbook”) and Emmanuelle Riva (“Amour”). Last year’s winner Jessica Chastain (“Zero Dark Thirty”) was a factor throughout, tying for the lead on several ballots. (This race was by far the most polarized; only three of the 16 ballots cast for Lawrence or Chastain cited both actresses.)

By contrast Daniel Day Lewis (“Lincoln”), possibly the most feted actor in NYFCC history, led on every ballot but still required three rounds of voting to best the closely bunched trio of Jack Black (“Bernie”), Joaquin Phoenix (“The Master”), and Denis Lavant (“Holy Motors”).

Fish:Jack Black??????????????????

Greig Fraser was named Best Cinematographer for “Zero Dark Thirty,” beating the initial favorite, “The Master” on the third ballot. (In a simple, up and down vote, the critics declined to acknowledge Fraser for his work on “Killing Them Softly.”) Although heavily favored, Tony Kushner’s “Lincoln” screenplay needed four ballots to win over those for “Zero Dark Thirty” and “Moonrise Kingdom.” “The Master”’s relatively poor showing in this race presaging its ultimate fate.

Fish:The Master is dead. if critics got off its train AMPAS certianly won`t jump on it.

An early favorite for Best Director, Paul Thomas Anderson was overwhelmed by Kathryn Bigelow on the second ballot, with Ben Affleck (“Argo”) finishing a distant third. (Strikingly, Steven Spielberg, who failed to get a single first ballot votes, was never in contention.) By this time, it was evident that “Zero Dark Thirty” would run the table and, indeed, “The Master” finished third for Best Picture behind “Argo,” although it took three ballots for the obviously exhausted voters to decide the winner.

Fish:Critics don`t have faith that Lincoln will beat Les Mis hence ZDT bandwaggon. Though ZDT actually looks good.

Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

Although it made my head spin, that was a great read Fishnets. Thanks for posting.

You`re welcome. Credit goes to Paralel Universe who are always the quickest to find stuff like this.It`s interesting to see that PSH isn`t even Top 3 while out of the left field-ers MM and Waltz took #1 and #2. If Waltz continues with critical response he may actually happen since BSA catgeory isn`t entirely locked. Unless campaigning him for the lead ruins his chances. He won`t win,though. Too recent winner, role to similar to that winning one.Riva is a lock now, I think. Strong showing here.I don`t know what to think of placing TH and LoP in Animated category. Sounds like visuals are considered stronger than the story and acting here. What else it could mean?Bigelow (frontrunner), Affleck and Spielberg are locked and loaded. Spielberg`s snub means nothing, he won`t miss AMPAS nom. Fight for 2 more spots. Edited by fishnets