Neo

Crimson Peak (10.16.2015) Trailer Page 29

The Legendary hype was inescapable a few years ago, I remember folks hyping Tull up as some kind of genius

Turns out investing in nothing but pricey fanboy flicks is risky with Nolan out of the picture

• Like 1

This is a 100% Legendary production as Universal doesn't like that it is R-rated

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywood-gorilla-warfare-s-universal-823715

Nice to see that the studio that once spent $175 million+ on making Evan Almighty, a sequel to a Jim Carey blockbuster without Jim Carey in it, is now showing restraint lol. Also, Universal has still had an illustrious year because they did not bankroll Blackhat or Seventh Son.

• Like 1

Yeah, Legendary ain't staying with Universal after the contract ends :lol:

And I don't know where Legendary will go this time;I think the other studios are going to be reluctant to sign a deal just because of Tull's antics. Best Legendary can get might be a "We will distribute,buy you have pay for the damn film yourself" kind of deal.

• Like 1

Looking for info on the budget I found this interview with Del Toro from a couple months ago.  I'm excited that he considers it's one of his top 3 films.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-guillermo-del-toro-crimson-peak-interview-20150723-story.html

We had the discussion. Legendary loved the screenplay, and they said, “We want to do it, but this is one budget if it’s PG-13 (a bigger budget if it’s PG-13), and this is the budget if it’s R.” And I wanted the luxurious part of the movie, but I wanted the R. So I was tiptoeing into balancing that it stayed an R, but it was luxurious enough to be an old-fashioned production. It feels like a throwback to the big productions of Hollywood, in a way.

• Like 1

I find the sudden anti-Legendary sentiment kinda amazing. They're doing exactly the sort of thing movie-fans should cheer for: funding (and helping studios fund) exciting directors that have the potential to make great and/or extremely popular movies.

What I don't understand is why so many in Hollywood are offended by Tull's ego. As THR put it, no studio ever refused to cash his checks, so why care so much about Tull "taking too much credit" for the movies? Aside from people like us, the public doesn't care who gets credit for making films beyond the stars and (maybe) the directors. Jettisoning an investor who brings hundreds of millions to the table for such a petty reason is just ridiculous.

Speaking of which, it's hilarious that Tull is right back at WB with a 5-picture deal so soon after being ousted. His arch-nemesis, Jeff Robinov, is nowhere to be found. Robinov also took issue with Tull's style, but his successor obviously likes the cash.

Who/What Killed the R Rated blockbuster ?

I have no idea.

Columbine ended the high budget R rated movie.  Sure you had a few big budget R movies after that but that where in the pipeline and Matrix 2 and 3 but otherwise the reaction to Columbine did it in.  Much stricter rules about when and where you could advertise R rated movies along with theaters actually enforcing the R rating.    

This just made having a PG 13 easier and safer.

Edited by jimisawesome
  • Like 3

What I don't understand is why so many in Hollywood are offended by Tull's ego. As THR put it, no studio ever refused to cash his checks, so why care so much about Tull "taking too much credit" for the movies? Aside from people like us, the public doesn't care who gets credit for making films beyond the stars and (maybe) the directors. Jettisoning an investor who brings hundreds of millions to the table for such a petty reason is just ridiculous.

Speaking of which, it's hilarious that Tull is right back at WB with a 5-picture deal so soon after being ousted. His arch-nemesis, Jeff Robinov, is nowhere to be found. Robinov also took issue with Tull's style, but his successor obviously likes the cash.

Cause Hollywood doesn't like ego, cause Hollywood is all about humbleness and grace.

There's no room for ego. Tull needs to learn the business to fit in.

Oh god I'm fucking hilarious aren't I?

• Like 5

If they are taking credit like this in public, I can guarantee you they are a pain in the a-- to work with in private.  The reason the put up with him at all is the checks.

I think the weird thing is, these people have no problem getting some of these movies going, but no end game in mind.

If they are going to finances these really expensive movies they should have a plan from the beginning on how to advertise it in a way that's gets butts in seats. Start early, get awareness out there, build the brand. They probably ly do, but it seems so weak sometimes that it's almost non-existent.

They can't sit on their hands, then all of a sudden opening weekend arrives and they can't understand why their movie tanked.

• Like 2

Boner, you're probably right.

(I just said Boner, you're probably right...that's awesome)...

But still. Cinema is not just finances. And as a guy who does that shit for a living...I think I have some perspective. Sometimes you just go with your gut. And sure, you might fail. They probably will with this one. But if it's not coming out of my bonus paycheck...

Fuck yeah! Do it! Great cinema is not defined by solid financial sense.

That being said, GDT...I'm still not sold on this being great cinema. You better deliver or I'm calling you out.

All the big franchises had an episode 1 nobody believed in, they all share the same story more or less... except for big books adaptations but even that, Lord of the Rings was a massive gamble, people were probably laughing in 2000 at the guys who did 8 freaking Harry Potter movies  for 10 years with the same cast of kids, every big studio said no to Hunger Games (the kids killing kids thing) etc etc

So it s easy to comment on Hollywood when you re not inside the machinery.

Every Movie is a prototype, and yes, even Fast & Furious 8 & Transformers 5.

Edited by The Futurist