Noctis

Most Visually Striking Potter

HBP, DH1, and DH2 each have absolutely incredible cinematography. I would honestly rank all three of them as being one of the most visually appealing films of the past few years. HBP - mesmerizing cinematography. The washed out yet colorful palette with the addition of some amazingly creative shots (the staircase, the rock on the sea, the shots of Hogwarts) truly make it the best looking film of 2009. Such a shame it didn't win the Oscar. Hogwarts looks the best in this film. There is such an absorbing, gothic look to the film. It honestly looks like a painting. Each and every shot.DH1 - I would probably rank this as the most visually stunning film of the franchise. The wide, panoramic shots were absolutely beautiful and jaw-dropping. It is probably the most colorful of the last three films in the franchise. The lighting was utterly magnificent. The standout scenes have to be Godric's Hollow, the camping montage, the opening scene, and Snape to Malfoy Manor. I loved the shot of the dementors looking down at the prisoners in the courtroom. DH2 - Epic cinematography. Truly. Some of the shots were insane in scope and incredibly striking. The opening shot of the dementors surrounding Hogwarts has got to be on of the most stunning shots I've ever seen. The Prince's Tale was just incredible in terms of cinematography, each and every single shot of it was fantastic. The best would have to be the shot of Lily/Snape by the tree, Snape making his way to the room, and him holding Lily's dead body. There was an incredible shot of when Snape fell to the floor, and the camera was put in an angle in which we could only see James' dead body once the lightning struck. Beautiful, beautiful. I used to think there were some shots that were a bit too dark, but the charcoal theme is impressive after having witnessed it properly again on Blu-ray, but I would have liked to see a bit more color.

PoA in my mind had the best visuals. Alfonso Cuaron is a genius at that. Sure the latter Potter's had the advantage of more advanced CGI, but his visual style was never beaten IMO

PoA pales in comparison to the last three, and that's REALLY saying something.

You've literally taken the words out of my mouth on these three, at least visually. There's really nothing more for me to say, so I'll just go on to list some of my favorite scenes visually, from HBP and DH1 (still need to give DH2 a few more viewings).HBP:Opening Title sequenceStaircase sceneHarry comforts Hermione, followed by zooming away from the tower and seeing Ron/Lavender, then shifting to Draco in the Astronomy TowerEach Memory SceneSlughorn's Confession (Harry's hand reaching into the shot to steady Slughorn's)Inferi in the FirestormIn Noctem scene (favorite scene in the film as well, sad that they cut it)Harry/Snape's duelDH1:Opening Title SequenceSnape flying in to Malfoy ManorGodric's Hollow GraveyardForest of Dean, particularly the opening shotLovegood SceneDobby's Fairwell on the beach by Shell CottageTale of the Three Brothers

PoA pales in comparison to the last three, and that's REALLY saying something.

Yeah, I don't think POA comes close to the last three, they were on an entirely different level visually, and I think that really enhanced them as films overall in my eyes. Somewhat OT, but Half Blood Prince had some fantastic non-book scenes. I loved where Yates tried to go with this film and I think he just fell short Edited by spizzer

I think Half-Blood Prince...The inferi in the firestorm was mesmerizing.DH1 had some fantastic cinematography though, namely the forest scenes + chase. One of the best sequences in the entire series. God I love that film. Infact, I'm gonna go and watch it right now. ;)

Edited by Heretic

I'm going with Half Blood Prince, the most simple scenes in that movie give my eyes orgasms, Aragog's death, the Astronomy tower, the Hogwarts Express and even the death eater flying into Hogwarts at the gates and being repelled.

• Community Manager

PoA in my mind had the best visuals. Alfonso Cuaron is a genius at that. Sure the latter Potter's had the advantage of more advanced CGI, but his visual style was never beaten IMO

I agree.

I agree that the last three films all had great cinematography. I was very surprised when DH1 missed out on a nomination.GoF was the only one where I didn't think the cinematography worked. It had some really breathtaking shots, but was way too dark when it shouldn't have been.

I'm torn between the obvious top 3. HBP had amazing cinematography; it just looks beautiful, and it had some of the most mesmerzing shots in the series. DH1 had superb cinematography as well, and it had some breathtaking set pieces and landscapes: those mountains were gorgeous. DH2 had the best visual effects in the series, so that's a plus, but its art direction and cinematography didn't quite top those of HBP and DH1.1. DH12. HBP3. DH24. PoA5. GoF6. OotP (too much blue)7. CoS8. SSThat's almost the same as Noctis's.