baumer

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

128 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Fell asleep twice during the first 45 minutes. Just a movie about a really long walk and Gandalf coming to save the day on every occassio even though he would have no idea where they were at times.

6/10....easily the worst Rings movie

I say fuck the purists who were to hate it anyway, they should have killed at least 2 dwarves to raise stakes and make danger real. There are the ones you can`t kill in the first or second movie because of events in the book and in Appendices (Thorin, Kili, Fili, Balin, Gloin) but everyone else is a fair game. OK, keep Bombur because of Team Bombur. Bur, seriously, if that`s what they did, had them survive every unsurvivable situation because Gandalf saves them in the last minute

having 3 of them die in Bot5A won`t make sense that they conveninetly bit the dust now when they proved they are unkillable. WTF? And where was nick-of-time savior Gandalf when they were endangered?

This bothered me in the book too. The ending was suddenly so random,like

Thorin had to die because of redemption-through-death trope and Kili and Fili with him so that his lineage dies for those who pay attention to lienage shit. And PJ will now pump Kili and Tauriel romance to induce tears when the midget snuffs it even though he was unkillable for 2 movies in a row. Lame.

Fell asleep twice during the first 45 minutes. Just a movie about a really long walk and Gandalf coming to save the day on every occassio even though he would have no idea where they were at times.6/10....easily the worst Rings movie

Shocking ;)

Shocking ;)

Not really. like I have said many times before, you guys think I hate Rings more than I do. FOTR is in my top ten films of all time, TTT is a 7 and ROTK let me down because of the 17 endings so it is a 6.5.But The Hobbit just drags and there is really no sense of danger in the film. It's more like a cartoon. Nothing bad happens to anyone, no matter what situation they are in. And when they are in a terrible spot, Gandalf appears out of nowhere and rescues them. I can see why many of you enjoyed it, but after I woke up and shook the cobwebs out of my brain, the film just did nothing for me.
  • Like 6

I think it is a great movie, maybe not perfect, but I think it is quite solid. And I enjoyed it a lot. I can understand people who have not read the book and do not know the parallel story of Necromancer that can find a bit long or boring these parts. I consider those "boring" or extended parts as a present for Tolkien fans that we could not enjoy that extended moments in LOTR.Cast is great. I have liked a lot Martin Freeman (excellent surprise), Ian McKellen (obvious), Richard Armitage (great Thorin). And I have found very convincent to Balin, Bofur or Dwalin. We will have to wait next movies to see more of the rest of dwarves, but I am fine with them.Once the action starts, I see the movie frenetic. Gollum's scene is just amazing because the scene itself and because what it does mean. The scene in Moria impressed me. That battle was in the same level of reality and epic than the last one in ROTK in front of Black Gate. Adding to that Sauron plot and having into account how will the story ends, I think two next movies will be darker than LOTR.And of course, the final scene, with Lonely Mountain is just spectacular. Best possible trailer for Desolation of Smaug. I give it a A-.

I understood the Necromancer stuff....they were the entities that Aragorn got to help him out in ROTK. I didn't hate the film, I just thought it was a very long film that didn't need to be. I loved the Gollum stuff but I have a question about that.At the beginning of ROTK, is there not a flashback to when Smeagol, as a man and Bilbo were friends? They were in the boat together and they fight over the ring? Or is that Smeagol and his brother. I completely forget the story?

I understood the Necromancer stuff....they were the entities that Aragorn got to help him out in ROTK. I didn't hate the film, I just thought it was a very long film that didn't need to be. I loved the Gollum stuff but I have a question about that.At the beginning of ROTK, is there not a flashback to when Smeagol, as a man and Bilbo were friends? They were in the boat together and they fight over the ring? Or is that Smeagol and his brother. I completely forget the story?

That was Smeagol's friend, a nobody. As I recall they fight over the ring and he gets killed.

I understood the Necromancer stuff....they were the entities that Aragorn got to help him out in ROTK.

No, they were not. I know spoilers are allowed here but this is enormous if someone has not seen the movie.Necromancer is

SauronIn fact, in the movie, when Radagast goes to Dol Guldur, he is attacked by a Nazgul, probably the same Nazgul who attacked Frodo in FOTR.

Edited by peludo

No, they were not. I know spoilers are allowed here but this is enormous if someone has not seen the movie. Necromancer is

Sauron

I had no idea about that...thanks for clearing it up.Then who were those green ghosts from ROTK?

I had no idea about that...thanks for clearing it up.Then who were those green ghosts from ROTK?

You are welcome. The Necromancer plot can give us some memorable moments in next two movies.The green ghosts were a race of men that had sworn loyalty to Isildur (the king of Gondor who defeated Sauron in the beginning of FOTR), and they betrayed him, being loyal to Sauron in secret. Isildur knew it and he cursed them to not been able to rest in peace after death until they fulfill the loyalty oath to the king of Gondor. In ROTK, the heir is Aragorn, so he is the only to be able to make them to obey. Edited by peludo
  • Like 1

You are welcome. The Necromancer plot can give us some memorable moments in next two movies.The green ghosts were a race of men that had sworn loyalty to Isildur (the king of Gondor who defeated Sauron in the beginning of FOTR), and they betrayed him, being loyal to Sauron in secret. Isildur knew it and he cursed them to not been able to rest in peace after death until they fulfill the loyalty oath to the king of Gondor. In ROTK, the heir is Aragorn, so he is the only to be able to make them to obey.

Wow. That is confusing, cool, but confusing.

Those greenly "oathbreakers" were a part of RotK (the film) I could have done without ... either you tell their story right or you cut them - the story as told in the book doesn't rely on them that much and would work nearly as well without the ghost army at all. Their primary function in the book is to prevent "normal" men using the tunnel shortcut to the sea - that could have been managed otherwise. Their military value is not important in the book where they only help capture the corsair ships before they are released from duty.

This sounds like it could be used as a review for The Avengers, and you gave that a 9.5/10. ;)

I knew Tony wouldn`t die in TA but damn if I didn`t fear for his life when he did the Abyss sacrifice and then when he wouldn`t open his eyes I was really thinking Shit, no, not Tony,no! That`s a huge compliment to a movie when they cna make one fear for character`s safety even when you know he`ll live cause IM3 and TA2 are announced.
  • Like 1

Right here it isFirst and foremost its good ... its actually very good,,, but LOTR-good it ain'tPJ still has the touch and is brilliant at bringing Middle Earth to life but yeah its bloated as hell ... The way I see it PJ had 2 paths ahead of him 1 - two movies and acclaim on the same level as LOTR and 2 - adapting everything he imaginedAnd number 2 prevailed cause it also meant more money for everyone involvedEverything in the movie is right ... other than the fact that first act is actually first 2 acts and the film only takes off in the final act ( post Rivendell )As a fan of Tolkien I appreciate everything in the movie ... but I was also putting myself in the shoes of those that aren't ( shame on them but still ) and there is just flatout 40-50 minutes that should have been cut out completelyEveryone does the job excellent ...PJ,actors ( Mckellen Freeman and Serkis are standouts ), cinematographer, WETA and so onFrankly it should be a 7 but since I am a Tolkien fan and I did personally like all the stuff that was put in its8/10 from mebtw this forum is not easy on LOTR so I don't expect to be in the majority of those that liked it ... baumer ain't giving more than a 5 I bet my 2 balls on that :lol:

Baumer you canadian fuck lower your grade to 5 or I'm done with you for good :lol:
  • Like 1