baumer

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

128 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

So, in other words, you hated it. Shocker.

I hated it for reasons I mentioned. And I reviewed it fair and square. It`s an A+ if you are an EE fan without much attachment to the book. It`s a Z- if you are a purist. It`s a C when rated as amovie itself, not as something for fans of one or the other.It isn`t abad movie. It`s really averige. It isn`t TPM. But it falls flat on its face as an adaptiaon because they thought they could re-write it and make a better story and they couldn`t. I`m very annoyed by how little confince they have in the source and how overconfident they are about their re-writing ability. Edited by fishnets
  • Like 2

That's reasonably balanced, fish. :)

Thank you. I see why some people would love this. I cna tell you that while I think that slapstick at the dinner was awful, and that Gandalf would never let dwarves play with Bilbo like that (that plate tossing shit,etc) it didn`t bore me. I expected a slog but it didn`t drag. The movie was long and you cna feel it but so were LM and DU. Almost 3 hours (when commercials and trailers are included) is a long fuckin sit.But i`m sorry it`s a flat out bad adaptation, not a bad movie mind you, bad adaptation. They kept every scene and expended it beyond necessary but changed the lead and that`s a single most important thing to keep Bilbo as the audience`s avatar. And they fucked that up. Sorry, no.

Will you be watching DOS?I thought the Riddles scene was one of the best scenes of the year.

i`ll see DoS for free like this and yes Riddles was fabulous because the fuckers didn`t try to be smart asses and deviate from the source. Plus they had strong actors. Armitage is such a disappointment. Seriously, WTF were they thinking?

.Though I'm sad to see you're on the 48FPS train. :(

Sorry buddy but I loved it and the clarity really didn`t put me in pain. Yes I noticed fake ears,etc and it really didn`t matter to me. Also, the depth of the picture was insane. All the shit when they start falling through tunnels,etc was incredible. Too ba dnobody died for a) raising stakes and B) emotional effect. That dwarf who wished Bilbo good luck when Bilbo tried to leave could have died, for example. They had a sweet little scene and if he died it would have resonated a little. Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

i`ll see DoS for free like this and yes Riddles was fabulous because the fuckers didn`t try to be smart asses and deviate from the source. Plus they had strong actors. Armitage is such a disappointment. Seriously, WTF were they thinking?

Sorry buddy but I loved it and the clarity really didn`t put me in pain. Yes I noticed fake ears,etc and it really didn`t matter to me. Also, the depth of the picture was insane. All the shit when they start falling through tunnels,etc was incredible. Too ba dnobody died for a) raising stakes and B) emotional effect. That dwarf who wished Bilbo good luck when Bilbo tried to leave could have died, for example. They had a sweet little scene and if he died it would have resonated a little.

100% agree. That was my main problem, 14 dwarfs fighting their way through serious shit the entire movie and no-one get killed? Killing of Nesbit would have added emotion that the movie desperately needed.
  • Like 1

100% agree. That was my main problem, 14 dwarfs fighting their way through serious shit the entire movie and no-one get killed? Killing of Nesbit would have added emotion that the movie desperately needed.

Another thing that really annoyed me was that there were several instances that go like this - Bilbo does something,like confront the enemy, tries to save the ponies, save Thorin`s ass, and then the whole gang jumps to help him. There weren`t moments where individual characters make a bond. We had that scene with Nori and another with Bilbo and Balin and I guess Bilbo being pranked by Annoying and Irritating (yes, I know they are Kili and Fili but my God were they awful!) would be considered sorta whatever trying to distinguish them a bit but there weren`t character moments between dwarves including Emo Loner Plank`o`Oak. LOTR was completely different. Everyone interacted with everyone, at least fellowship members interacted with one another. But here, there`s a bulk and there are 3 individual characters and that`s that. So cut the bulk in half I say and develop those who make the cut.
  • Like 1

I haven't read the book in over 15 years so as I watched it I kept wondering which bits did they add and which are consistent with the book. I agree with a fair few of the points fishnets makes. However, I enjoyed it more then she did. There was a moment when Kili or Fili was the last one shooting arrows at the orcs before they jumped into the passage to the Rivendell. I didn't noticed whether or not he had jumped down but then I remembered. Of course he survived, no one dies. It would added some emotional impact if one of the dwarves had died. It's not as if they are all needed for the story. I'm going to see it again today to check out 48 FPS.

Thorin will die in the TABA

so you will get your wish.

Thorin will die in the TABA

so you will get your wish.

Yeah, but who cares? That's the last movie. And everyone who's read the book (and it should be everyone) knows that. The stakes need to be higher in volume 1. At this point Hobbit is just a cartoon, lower than Harry Potter danger because at least HP had guts to start killing people off fairly early. Even the teacher died in first movie.

Fishnets gives it a C+?? I'll take it!I understand your arguments but I disagree with you on most of them. Thought Thorin really stayed with me as a character. Yes he is very broody, but his character demands someone who has gone through pain and loss. I think most would agree that Thorin was one of the highlights of the movie. I agree that half the dwarfs have no stand out moments in the movie. Also I only picked up half of their names. The rest are a blur. I hoped that is fixed in the next movie. Its my only gripe in the movie.The hobbit book is just really short and not much really goes on in it when compared to lotr. It needed the appendices to really add some flavour and make the tale grander. Perhaps when the 3 movies are seen back to back they will flow better for the naysayers? We can hope.Oh I'm glad you liked the 48fps. I will be going sometimes in the next couple of weeks to check it out. Quite excited to see what all the fuss is about.

For my, 48fps worked very well. it looked different - that's true - but better. Never seen better 3D in a theater. I'm not a fan of 3D at all, but if you want to go 3D, take HFR.And here's some points concerning the critics rating:Well, actually you could go along with a lot of the arguments they make because, you know, they're true. That happens when you watch only the first third of a film and review it. I think it was a risk taken by PJ, because by making it 3 instead of 2 films, they really robbed part 1 of a big part of its possible appeal. Whereas in FotR (to take another part1) we get to see a lot more of Middle-Earth, plus the action is well underway, plus there's danger and death - in H1 we have just the meeting of the "fellowship" and some minor skirmishes everyone has to survive because nobody dies before the climax.So, taken as as standalone film: We got a bunch of characters - only a few of which gain some depth - starting on their way and experiencing three fights. Then the story ends in the middle of nowhere. And that's why I don't review it as a single film; I loved it but of course I liked it as part 1 of what will become a whole only in 2014. The critics have to write a review for this single film now. Imagine someone had to watch "Ocean's 11" up to the part where they form their team, and then, blimey, the film ends.

• Like 1