tommycruise

Angry Birds | May 20, 2016 | Best reviewed video game adaptation ever

Good thing this review is on a movie not many care about strongly enough. Imagine this on any of the big tent poles. The MRAs would go crazy.

What the heck is this? Some sort of meninist political statement attempting to vindicate male anger? In a kids' movie? Maybe men shouldn't make movies...

Full Review… | May 16, 2016
v1.YzsxNTgwO2c7MTY5NzA7MjA0ODszODszOA
Flick Filosopher
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Good thing this review is on a movie not many care about strongly enough. Imagine this on any of the big tent poles. The MRAs would go crazy.

What the heck is this? Some sort of meninist political statement attempting to vindicate male anger? In a kids' movie? Maybe men shouldn't make movies...

Full Review… | May 16, 2016
v1.YzsxNTgwO2c7MTY5NzA7MjA0ODszODszOA
Flick Filosopher

:wtf:

And that's the second review for this movie alone that had me react like this. The other one was about how this movie is meant to be a take on the immigration crisis in Europe or some shit like that. Come on! It's just an animation movie meant to make money off a silly game guys, seriously.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Blank Panther said:

Updated predicts:

OW: 45M

DOM: 150M

WW: 454M

Pretty much in line with m own thoughts on it. Smaller OW for me though, about 40m.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

Looks like total marketing budget was 400M, but probably only about 70M of that was from Sony itself

The marketing push, including promotional partnerships and the studio's own spending, has reached an estimated $400 million, making it the biggest-ever campaign for an animated Sony movie, according to executives at the company. 

Partnerships with the likes of McDonald's and Ziploc have generated more than $300 million in promotions and ads for the computer-animated film -- a big number even for a major studio release, analysts said. Promotional tie-ins for a high-profile movie would normally total around $200 million.

Production budget was 73M

Rovio produced the new Angry Birds movie and financed its $73-million production cost, limiting the financial risk for Sony. The Finnish company, which first released the avian-themed mobile app in 2009, wants to keep the characters alive so it can sell more apps and merchandise based on the cuddly fowl. 

So, the best-reviewed video game movie of all time... and it's still "rotten". The general post-release-day trend on RT is downward, so I don't see it clawing its way back to "fresh".

That's the critics, though. For those curious, as far as the opinion of each film's target audience goes, there have actually been four adaptations with positive Cinemascore reaction (defined as "A-" or above, since "B+" is considered average). Those four movies? Mortal Kombat (1995) and the first three Pokémon movies (1999, 2000, 2001), which all got an A-. I totally get the first one, but even as a kid who loved the games, I thought the Pokémon films were garbage. Apparently the rest of the target audience disagreed.

• Like 1

I know the reviews seem to criticize its (intentional or not) anti-immigration message, but part of it seems more like anti-imperialism to me - the pigs seem to have stronger technology and a more advanced civilization, thus taking from the more 'peaceful' birds. 

There's a 95% chance I'm reading into this way too much, but it's definitely a minor issue when kids movies accidentally teach terrible lessons.

And at the rate the reviews are going, it won't even have the "distinction" of being the best-reviewed video game movie for very long. Eight more negative reviews in a row and it will fall below Final Fantasy.

Edited by johnboy3434

13 hours ago, Spaghetti said:

I know the reviews seem to criticize its (intentional or not) anti-immigration message, but part of it seems more like anti-imperialism to me - the pigs seem to have stronger technology and a more advanced civilization, thus taking from the more 'peaceful' birds. 

There's a 95% chance I'm reading into this way too much, but it's definitely a minor issue when kids movies accidentally teach terrible lessons.

Yes, it's clearly and very evidently an Anti-American movie - which is normally a BIG plus for the Shay.

I don't think though that the European Resistance will come to life influenced by this specific title. :/