iceroll

Weekend #s Hobbit 84.7 ROG 7.4 Linc 7.2 Sky 7.0 Pi 5.4 BD2 5.2 pg 90

400m is still realistic and likely for it. Jesus tap dancing Christ I don't think I've ever seen so many people on this board try to call a movie a failure when we don't even have an OD yet. I mean damn, haters STFU and go post in some thread for a movie you actually like or something.

• Like 3

Reading different number for midnights. What was the final number and from that how much was IMAX? Also were there 10PM shows?

There were a limited number of 10PM shows. WB's final number was 13M. 1.6M from IMAX. No 2D/3D split given so approximately 1.3-1.4M tickets sold. ROTK sold 1.3M in 2003.
  • Like 1

400m is still realistic and likely for it. Jesus tap dancing Christ I don't think I've ever seen so many people on this board try to call a movie a failure when we don't even have an OD yet. I mean damn, haters STFU and go post in some thread for a movie you actually like or something.

Yes, you have....that would be every time a Twilight film comes out. People are out with their pitchforks, shovels and a whole heap of dirt before the opening day numbers are out.This is nothing.
  • Like 6

Yes, you have....that would be every time a Twilight film comes out. People are out with their pitchforks, shovels and a whole heap of dirt before the opening day numbers are out.This is nothing.

The thread for the OD numbers of BD2 was hysterical. I had some good laughs with it. People were going nuts!
  • Like 1

13m good or 13m bad? We don't know that. And that's what makes the weekend so interesting. Will it behave like a LOTR sequel with 2012 midnight frontloadedness, or will it play more like an original movie?We know, that it is the midnight record for december, we know, that it's not that much more than what ROTK made, we know, that "The Hobbit" is going to break december record for OW.As mention above, that's gonna be exciting.

• Like 1

No one was calling BD2 a failure until we got that early OD number that turned out to be way too low. But yes it most certainly would have been a failure if that OD had happened. If we had some early awful OD number I could at least understand all the failure talk, but damn you guys against this are just desperate right now. And NO December movie ever lives or dies by it ow just for the record, and that includes the LOTR films.
  • Like 1

Since the amount of tickets is about the same, we know that whatever number of LOTR fans who were turned off by the look of the trailers, the 9 years separating it from the other movies, or who just didn't care that much for "The Hobbit" as opposed to LOTR, were covered by the growth of the fanbase over the years. I guess you can spin this both ways: that TH didn't establish a bigger immediate fan base than ROTK, or that despite nearly a decade absence and the fact that it's a first film, it managed to equal the pent-up demand of the trilogy finale.

• Like 4

Are you forgetting what series this is? This is Lord of the Rings. It's not a sequel to Oogieloves.

but are you forgetting its December. Where no film has ever done even ten million. It's just odd that no popular fis or franchise or movies based on books or stories with rabid fans has ever opened previously in December.

For a mega franchise with what was said to be a massive fanbase, I don't see how $13m can be seen as anything but disappointing. I mean, even Sith 7 1/2 years ago did 17m. The review results are as I expected, down to 65% and a bad rating. This is Ang Lee Hulk ugly. But the Hobbit should be critic proof, and the bad reviews were held back for as long as possibble, so what are the reasons for the weaker midnights? I'm open to any ideas for this discussipn, because the only thing that makes any sense is that time has not been kind to LOTR and many lost interest in this world. Also, perhaps repeat viewings over the past decade exposed the flaws and excesses in the LOTR trilogy, and people don't view more of that as MUST SEE and are content to just wait until it comes out on video so they can have the remote in hand ready to skip through the boring parts.Thoughts?

• Like 3

Since the amount of tickets is about the same, we know that whatever number of LOTR fans who were turned off by the look of the trailers, the 9 years separating it from the other movies, or who just didn't care that much for "The Hobbit" as opposed to LOTR, were covered by the growth of the fanbase over the years. I guess you can spin this both ways: that TH didn't establish a bigger immediate fan base than ROTK, or that despite nearly a decade absence and the fact that it's a first film, it managed to equal the pent-up demand of the trilogy finale.

I think it's pretty damn impressive it matched the insanely hyped ROTK in admissions myself.

No one was calling BD2 a failure until we got that early OD number that turned out to be way too low. But yes it most certainly would have been a failure if that OD had happened. If we had some early awful OD number I could at least understand all the failure talk, but damn you guys against this are just desperate right now. And NO December movie ever lives or dies by it ow just for the record, and that includes the LOTR films.

Can you find me a post of mine where I said this was anything but fine?I just said it was a little disappointing considering ROTK did 8 mill in 2003. Hard to argue with that, isn't it?

Can you find me a post of mine where I said this was anything but fine?I just said it was a little disappointing considering ROTK did 8 mill in 2003. Hard to argue with that, isn't it?

Um how is it NOT impressive that after a decade it still matched one of the biggest finales of the millennium in midnight admissions? C'mon now baumer.

Baumer I think part of that is after the first film a significantly larger percentage of its full domestic gross was earned in its first weekend. Far larger then most any sequel. Thus it's been statistically much easier to get a fairly accurate range based on its opening, it's first show, it's first day it's opening weekend then you will get for most any other film or film series.