Punishment

12/14-12/16 Weekend Actuals

I know how much Hobbit will drop this weekend: a drop that is not good or bad, not big or small, a drop that some say too big a drop and what a fail while others insist that it is fine and expected, people are busy with Chirstmas ... and it will have much better hold next weekend.And such continues ... till the end of its run.

You know?? I was thinking and maybe, just MAYBE the LOTR movies came out at the right place, at the right time with the stars and planets fully aligned and at that moment in time in the 90's, people were simply craving a very good fantasy movie and Jackson came along and WOW'd the hell out of us with the imagary and it also helped that it made Lucas's Prequels look like shit in comparison.. I do remember at the time the online war between the SW vs LOTR fans in which one was better with every Poll being posted known to God.. Now, it's almost like the HOBBIT is an afterthought compared to back then...

I see what you are saying but you can't call them a fluke. They did things box office wise that had never really been done before. They were, if I'm not mistaken, the first real blockbuster type films that increased every film in gross bot domestic and internationally. There was a reason I predicted TTT to make 264 mill and that is because films that had giant grosses in the first film, before LOTR, did not increase in the second one.

Look at any blockbusters before 2001:

Star Wars

Jaws

Rocky

Indiana Jones

Jurassic Park

Back to the Future

Batman (original)

Beverly Hills Cop

Superman

All had very big hits for the first film and all dropped in the second. LOTR bucked that trend. It was not a fluke.

$84.6M is not bad. By itself, it's damn good.But it is bad when you factor in all the bumps in its corner (3D, IMAX, 2D ticket prices gone up, more screens plus it being the new installment of a popular franchise) and the insane expectations/hype/projections. Shouldn't be hard to comprehend.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 1

Before The Hobbit opened to soft numbers, people were pimping this film out to be the next Avatar/Avengers type film. This is the kind of film that didn't need excuses, it's the kind of film that defined the box office. Now that it has proven to be a decent opening but not massive, the excuses are running rampant.

• Like 1

And yet what was the Monday #?

$18.9M. So again I ask where were the "Well kids are in school" excuses then? People still went in droves.

The opening weekend of Avengers was 200m. Obviously then that means the weekday numbers would be better by default. Avengers first Monday was lower than Dark Knights first Monday despite a 50m higher opening so schools did affect it. I'm not sure whet you're getting at here

Why should the Hobbit have a better than normal Monday hold than any other film this year?

Edited by John Marston