Punishment

12/14-12/16 Weekend Actuals

Avengers dropped 67% on its first Monday. That is what Elessar means

But early May films always drop more than middle December films on their first Monday.

And yet many are still clinging to "Uh, kids are still in school. Yeah, that's why Monday #s were soft!"

By that logic, The Avengers should have nose-dived because all those kids were back in classrooms on its first Monday. Yet a lot of people still went. Not hard to comprehend.

Avengers had a 200m opening weekend. 200m. So by default there would be higher weekdays due to to the much higher demand and spillover business.

And kids being in schools did lower Avengers weekdays a bit. Why else did Avengers have a lower Monday than The Dark Knight despite having an opening weekend that is 50m higher?

nThis is not excuses. This is pointing out that The Hobbit's Monday drop is in like with other movies released during the school year right now, whether family movie or not. The Monday drop is standard and neither good nor bad

Edited by John Marston

The opening weekend of Avengers was 200m. Obviously then that means the weekday numbers would be better by default. Avengers first Monday was lower than Dark Knights first Monday despite a 50m higher opening so schools did affect it. I'm not sure whet you're getting at hereWhy should the Hobbit have a better than normal Monday hold than any other film this year?

The Dark Knight came out in July. No kidding its first Monday was bigger than Avengers.
  • Like 1

The Dark Knight came out in July. No kidding its first Monday was bigger than Avengers.

That was the point i was trying to make. Schools being in session prevented Avengers first Monday from being as high as TDK, so it did "hinder" it in some way Edited by John Marston

God forbid people admit the obvious. The Hobbit ain't doing that hot. Denials, excuses and more denials...

*lol* (to you and baumer for "liking" it) How smart you are, aren't you? No need to convince us. You're preaching to the choir. But its Monday drop has no significance. Avenger's Monday drop wasn't out of the ordinary either.

Before The Hobbit opened to soft numbers, people were pimping this film out to be the next Avatar/Avengers type film.

Again, you are lying. Domestically, no one had it doing that type of gross. Those one or two crazies don't count. You find those outlier predictions with every movie.Why don't you just get over it? It's like the best thing that's happened to you in your life. *lol*

There weren't one of two 1.5-1.8 billion dollar predictions for the Hobbit, there were many people who predicted those kinds of numbers. Would you like me to post some of them again?

Oh my fucking god. I said "domestically". Get it? GET IT?And no, not many thought up to $1.8b, as far as i remember. $1.5b? Yes, quite a few thought it could get to $1b OS, which would bring it close to $1.5b WW.

Edited by Elessar

Oh my fucking god. I said "domestically". Get it? GET IT?And no, not many thought up to $1.8b, as far as i remember. $1.5b? Yes, quite a few thought it could get over $1b OS, which would bring it close to $1.5b.

And if people thought 1.5 billion, isn't that enough to say it would have an Avengers type run? Which is what I said people said. :)

From the Hobbit vs TDKR thread:How much will the Hobbit make:Less than $300 million (2 votes [4.35%]) Percentage of vote: 4.35% $300-350 million (10 votes [21.74%]) Percentage of vote: 21.74% $351-400 million (17 votes [36.96%]) Percentage of vote: 36.96% $401-450 million (6 votes [13.04%]) Percentage of vote: 13.04% $451-500 million (7 votes [15.22%]) Percentage of vote: 15.22% More than $500 million (4 votes [8.70%]) Percentage of vote: 8.70% 17 people said more than 400 mill. Out of the people who voted 37% of the people said it would make more than 400 mill.