baumer

The Impossible

17 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Just got back from seeing this in a packed Cinema!

I was very impressed overall. Wasn't entirely sure what to expect as I didn't really like the trailer, but I had heard about the positive critical reception and so decided to give it a chance.

A major positive was the acting. Superb by all the main cast members (the children were unbelievably good!), especially Ewan McGregor who deserves an acting nod for this (but I imagine won't get it).

I was moved to tears on several occasions, something that is fairly unusual for me. The film really managed to hit me, often viscerally, with the fallout of the tsunami and it's catastrophic effect on peoples lives, in a way that I hadn't really felt when it was on the news all those years ago (something very impersonal about seeing it on the news for some reason).

It was very emotionally draining and I came out of it feeling quite mentally exhausted. At points during the film you could almost feel the emotion in the cinema, like electricity.

I'm not sure what certificate it has in the US, but over here in the UK it is a 12a (which means children must be accompanied by adults, so it's really only an advisory certificate). I would say that the subject matter of the movie, and the very real way that the events are laid out in front of you means that 10 is about the age limit for who should see this. That's just my opinion of course, and obviously it will vary from child to child.

Personally I am hoping this gets a best film nomination, we will see.

9.0/10

Edited by rahvinn87
  • Like 1

Saw this on Saturday and was absolutely blown away. Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor give powerhouse performances (Watts is the best I've ever seen her) but what really caught me off guard were the three children, particularly the oldest child who played Lucas. Though all three were some of the best child actors I have ever seen, the eldest is a scene-stealer and virtually every scene I cried at, which was multiple times, was due to him.

Visually, the film looked fantastic and the disaster scenes were extremely well crafted. The overall style of the film, from the cinematography to the use of silence in several key scenes created a very raw, real effect that made me feel as if I was being washed away too.

The person I saw this with literally wept from the first 10-15 min until the credits rolled which was common place for the entire audience that was at my showing. I made the mistake of seeing Life of Pi directly after this and I quickly realized I had nothing left to give the film and was completely wiped out, emotionally. Even when I got home and sat down, several scenes started replaying in my head and my emotions hit me, well, like a wave. It could have easily have played like a feel good, family friendly movie but instead transcends to become a moving, emotionally stirring film that is going to resonate with me for years to come.

It's truly a shame that this didn't make the Globes' field for Best Picture.

9.5/10. A.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 1

This is a really touching/emotional film. The tsunami scenes are absolutely incredibly well done and real. Watts definitely gives a top notch performance, as well as Tom Holland. Lots of tearjerker moment (plenty of audience members were crying throughout). Yes, I cried.A-, I wouldn't mind this ending up on the BP nominations list.

Tsunami scene was definitely very well done and intense. Though I get that the guy is a Del Toro protégé and all but some parts felt like they were being directed like a horror movie when it really wasn't necessary.

It also has very one-note characters, and damn if it isn't manipulative with that awful score pretty much screaming at me about how I should feel throughout. The movie lays the emotion on so thickly that I'd be lying if I said a couple parts didn't get to me.

Edited by CoolioD1

Loved this film. Naomi Watts gives a powerhouse performance and I have to commend the child actors who were absolutely phenomenal for their ages. It was a lot more gritty than I had expected, and the movie has a beautiful visual style. I loved the direction of this film and I have high hopes for the director in future projects. Well done to everyone involved.

A-

• Like 4

The Impossible ReviewBack in 2004, a devastating tsunami hit Southeast Asia. I remember seeing images and video on the news and thinking that it was slightly scary and unbelievable but mostly I thought it looked cool. I used to wish that I could witness natural disasters first hand. I was 16 at the time and even to this day, myself and most of us feel that the news doesn't seem like reality, and we are emotionally numb to the situations that we see. Now that I am older and have a better understanding of emotions and culture, I wish to never experience a natural disaster.What was it like to be there when the tsunami hit? What did the locals and tourists go through? How many people were separated from family members, lost somebody they loved, or died? Were the people there helpful or was it utter chaos with everyone in an attitude of every man for himself? These questions are answered beautifully in the 2012 film The Impossible. The Impossible is a film based on a true story by Spanish Director Juan Antonio Bayona about a family vacationing in Thailand for Christmas when a tsunami hits and they are separated from each other. The story follows mother and son (Naomi Watts and Tom Holland) as they go through the tsunami, go through the devastation after the tsunami, and interact with those in the local hospital. We also follow the father and two younger sons (Ewan McGregor, Samuel Joslin and Oaklee Pendergast) as the father sends the younger sons to a safe shelter while he searches for the mother and oldest son. The Impossible is a movie about love. Love in its most absolute form. The love for family through any and all things. The love for strangers through the worst imaginable situations. The love for the injured and sick. And the love for those who have died. Through love comes hope and this movie is filled with hope. The films shining light is newcomer Tom Holland, who plays the oldest son Lucas. His character goes through a complete transformation from an awkward 12 year old boy to a courageous 30 year old in a 12 year olds body. This transformation is brought to the screen beautifully by some of the best acting I've seen in a young actor. His performance is real. He steals every scene that he is in, which seems like a tough task considering he shares the screen most of the film with Naomi Watts who gives the performance of her career here and has shot up in my list of favorite actresses. Her character goes through all kinds of hell in this film and you can feel every bit of it. Ewan McGregor also gives his best performance to date here and newcomers Samuel Joslin and Oaklee Pendergast are so great in there roles as well. The cast is superb. The realism in this film is top notch. I wasn't watching actors; I was watching a family experience and survive a tsunami. I wasn't watching a water tank with props; I was in the tsunami. I wasn't looking at makeup, prosthetics or costumes; I was looking at the real thing. I wasn't looking at sets but was looking at the real locations. Later, I found out that this film was shot in the same locations that the family stayed at while in Thailand and the actors stood where the family stood when the tsunami hit. It is that kind of realism that transports you from your world, to the world of the film. I wasn't in a movie theater; I was there.I would like to give two thumbs up to every department involved in the making of this film. The acting among ALL actors and extras was the best I've seen, great job actors and casting department. The screenplay was so well done, great job to the screen writer. Hats off goes to all of the visual departments including special effects, makeup, production design, cinematography and lighting departments. The score set every mood and tone perfectly and brought out every needed emotion without ever becoming over the top. But most of all, the film couldn't have been was it became without it's wonderful direction.I have never experienced a movie like The Impossible before. I have never been so engrossed in a story and its characters like I was watching this film. I have never felt the range of emotions throughout a movie as strongly as I did while watching this movie. I cried throughout the entire film and a good hour after it was over. Not because the film is sad, but because it fills you with such a range of emotions that you just break down. Even today, when I think about certain scenes, I tear up.This is both the saddest and happiest movie that I have ever seen. It is a nearly perfect movie. 10 out of 10, 5 stars, whichever rating system you prefer...You must see this movie.The Impossible achieved what I thought was impossible and became my favorite movie of 2012, as well as my favorite foreign film. But most of all The Impossible is my all-time favorite movie.

A good movie. Naomi Watts delivers a jaw-dropping performance, that is well worthy of its Oscar-nomination. The sound design n this is amazing, too. Every time a piece of debris scratches or hits Watts' legs I went "OW shit, goddammit OUCH!". The vomiting scene has to be one of the more upsetting things I've seen in a while. The cinematography, the editing and the production design are all fantastic, and I imagine this must have been a very expensive movie. The Impossible never really elevates to greatness, but I really dont have anything bad to say about this well made, high quality film, that made me cry a bit. 

4/5

I lol'd when after the movie ended some lady said "I liked the movie better before 

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 1

Naomi Watts, Sound Mixing, Cinematography, and Visual effects were all fantasic. A very well made movie and emotional, I started to cry twice during the ending of the film. The tsunami sequence  was chilling and the sound mixing during that part was very well done.  This film should been nominated for Visual Effects and Sound Mixing. I am glad Naomi Watts got nominated she gives a fantastic performance it is too bad nobody is talking about her.  A very well made film. 

8.5/10 

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia