baumer

Django Unchained

77 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I dont know man, I just think it took a while for the movie to make me hooked. Am I getting crucified for not absolutely adoring this movie?

Yep. And rightfully so. Maybe it took you a while to get into it because you had already gone on and on about how the movie was the most despicable thing ever before seeing it. :huh:

Yep. And rightfully so. Maybe it took you a while to get into it because you had already gone on and on about how the movie was the most despicable thing ever before seeing it. :huh:

I was in good spirits going to see the movie. Goddamn, Tarantino and his movies are such sacred cows; say some criticism about them and you get shitted on 

I was in good spirits going to see the movie. Goddamn, Tarantino and his movies are such sacred cows; say some criticism about them and you get shitted on 

You're not saying any criticism except "eh, didn't like that" though! This is a thread for well thought critical analysis so analyse this shit!!! :P

Edited by CoolioD1

You're not saying any criticism except "eh, didn't like that" though! This is a thread for well thought critical analysis so analyse this shit!!! :P

I'm not worth shit when it comes to analyzing movies.  :lol: Well, I just think that the first 30 minutes, or maybe 25 minutes, I dont know, weren't as gripping as what came next. 

It blew my expectations away. I rank it up right there with Jackie Brown (I still think it's the most complex, raw and well-written feminine character ever portrayed in any of Tarantino's filmography playing also as a tribute to the lovely Pam Grier. The Bride is just a tad under) that owns a special place in my cinephile's heart which resonated in an intimate and personal level. Django Unchained is the more riotous side of the same token.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Never seen a Tarantino film before Django Unchained, so I was a little unsure whether I would enjoy this film.  After seeing it, I have to say this is one of the best films of 2012 and I wish it continued success at the box office.  I have never seen anything like it....the film was so dark yet so light-hearted.....intense but humorous...realistic yet completely outrageous.  And it blended all these components effortlessly.  The acting was stellar resulting in some of the most memorable characters put to film.  And the story was compelling.  I didn't expect a film about bounty hunting to be so interesting and entertaining but it had me hooked within the first 15 min. I went to see it Tuesday and I cannot stop thinking about it.  I am now officially a huge Tarantino fan and I will definitely have to watch Inglorious  Bastards and Pulp Fiction in the near future. 

9/10

• Like 4

well well well....

i finally got around to watching this, knowing full well what to expect from a quarantino film his style is unique, very much like a tim burton film...

i gave it an A but consider that an A-  for two main reasons,

1/ i nearly fell asleep those first 20 mn , that said i hate westerns they bore me out of my mind, the story has to be really good to get me to keep going and suffer those western-ish scenes (yawnnnn)

2/ i don't get why waltz character just wouldnt shake leo's and be on his merry way , none of that carnage that ensued was necessary or didnt have to go down like that, he could have shake his hand, make as if they're leaving and come back 3 hrs later and shoot them up if he still wanted too,i didnt understand that thought process from a guy who was playing it super smart and cool all along when things got tight and heated suddenly because he never saw a slave die like that , he loses sight of logic and reason???

now those out of the way , what a hoot the film was, LEO is one beautiful man :wub:  no matter what he does or plays , here he was the most handsomest cruel villain ever, WALTZ was good except for the bit i mentioned previously and just for that he shouldnt win best supporting actor, tommy lee jones and robert de niro were more consistent in their respective oscar nominated films!

i had no idea will smith had been approached to do this, but his loss, django is a great character, with a speedy learning curve, so i highly doubt he has those 3 dimples in his brain, sorry Mr candie and jamie foxx played him with finesse

kerry washington was also great even though she hardly spoke but acting isnt only about words but emoting sentiments, yeah if i were her i'd feel safe with a badass like that for husband ...(sorry but years of evolution slip through my feminist cracks; has to do with that me tarzan you jane syndrome)

i'd heard samuel l jackson was in this film but while you're watching you forget so and his entrance is quite the surprise, at first i was worried Mr Candie was going to kill him for talking like that but then i remembered that house slaves have allowances in their rapport with their masters that field slaves  dont, so it might be affection and confidence in his loyalties that give him his statue in the house, very impressive performance, very impressive!

why oh why does leonardo always have to get kill these days , why does he do this to me? does he have no pity on my poor little fan heart :(  , well at least it wasnt like in the departed, also agree he should have been nominated, pffff

lastly there's a stylistic approach to the way blood spatters in a tarantino film that's very poetic, it reminds me of a painter in front of a blank canvas going hmmmm before putting on "mambo n5 " on the cd player and having fun with his colours B)

so yeah except for the slow start , it pays off in the end! i get why the film is having success with audiences

2/ i don't get why waltz character just wouldnt shake leo's and be on his merry way , none of that carnage that ensued was necessary or didnt have to go down like that, he could have shake his hand, make as if they're leaving and come back 3 hrs later and shoot them up if he still wanted too,i didnt understand that thought process from a guy who was playing it super smart and cool all along when things got tight and heated suddenly because he never saw a slave die like that , he loses sight of logic and reason???

It's clear that Schultz reached a point where lawful compromise wasn't enough for him anymore. His arc in the film is really fascinating. Through the film he's always ragging on Django for staying 'in character' but back when the slave was about to be pulled apart by dogs he had trouble giving a straight face. But shaking Candie's hand would have indicated this was a lawful business exchange between two consenting partners. In Candieland exchanging humans with money and a handshake was totally okay, but Schultz couldn't deal with it.  

His famous last words- "I couldn't resist"- speak wonders. When he finally resisted and shot Candie, he died. 

• Like 1

It's clear that Schultz reached a point where lawful compromise wasn't enough for him anymore. His arc in the film is really fascinating.Through the film he's always ragging on Django for staying 'in character' but back when the slave was about to be pulled apart by dogs he had trouble giving a straight face. But shaking Candie's hand would have indicated this was a lawful business exchange between two consenting partners. In Candieland exchanging humans with money and ahandshake was totally okay, but Schultz couldn't deal with it.  

His famous last words- "I couldn't resist"- speak wonders. When he finally resisted and shot Candie, he died. 

I really like how most people don't realize Django is not becoming the badass Mofo at the moment Candie and Schultz died to let him shine but much before in the movie, during the journey to Candieland. You can see Schultz showing cracks failing to "stay in character" and Django is clearly getting stronger than him as he remains strongly focused during that pivot scene with the dogs tearing D'Artagnan to pieces. I love their little dialogue when Django reminds him of his "dirty business". You feel Schultz is on the constant verge of losing control and focus due to his moral issues about compromising with slavery business whereas Django embodied his role with more and more confidence to reach his goal. Django took the ascendant over Schultz (and the lead in the movie) well before Schultz's death.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2