Dementeleus

Weekend numbers thread (close between TH and DU 31.5-31 so far)

It has everything to do with you hating it. If you could have justified it, you would have gone even lower.

And yet I'll have one of the best predictions for it. And yes, I didn't like it.
  • Like 1

You`re mixing apples and oranges. There`s a difference between familiar and workman-like. TTT was already familiar but apparently no less magical because PJ put top quality work in it, his A game as I call it. OTOH, TH is familiar but his direction was really workman-like and without flare. Not bad but not inspiring either. Definitely not his A game.So Avatar sequels will be familiar but whether JC is going to bring his A game or direct on autopilot remains to be seen.

The Lord of the Rings is a complete story and "The Two Towers" is just a chapter of it. Jackson did "The Lord of the Rings" in 2001, not 3 single movies.- Edited by Poseidon

TTT was shot at the same time as the others, it wasn't the case of returning to Middle-Earth, but continuing to stay in it.

It doesn`t work that way with audiences when it comes to novelty and familiarity. FOTR was a novelty, TTT was familiar. But if you are talking about quality of work, A game (LOTR) vs autopilot (TH) than yeah, I don`t expect TH sequels to be shot with more directorial flare than AUJ.

That's amazing but not surprising at all for Django, it did spectacular business at my theater yesterday. Four sellouts for Django, two for PG, one for Les Mis, one for This is 40, and none for Hobbit. WOM is kicking in, AND it's the hip movie of the season.

So is Les Miz still a John Carter-size flop?

Nah, just a thoroughly meh film (artistically, financially, critically) that will fail to do many of the things that Mizheads overzelaously predicted, like 200 million in the USA, outgrossing MM! worldwide, becoming a four quadrant hit that everybody(not just LM fans) loves, being a critically beloved across the board smash, and becoming an Oscar behemoth. Most of all, contrary to what most fans predicted, this is not shaping up to be the buzzy, must-see Christmas event that hype tried it to make it.