baumer

War of the Worlds (2005)

48 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I remember seeing this a few years back and liking it. Re-watched it today with my cousin, and I still like it. Although the ending is quite meh, over all, the movie was quite good. The cinematography and sets were amazing. It's a wonder it didn't get nominated for cinematography, to be honest.

B+

Well, this was... bizarre :blink: Tom Cruise is good in this movie. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for his character or any other character who we are supposed to care about... Everyone is fucking stupid and really annoying, especially the son, whose motivation and survival I still can't grasp, then the daughter who screams all the time and finally, a crazy Andy Dufresne who is not only creepy but is also a goddamn idiot. With all that, I could care less about any of them and frankly, I would have liked to see pretty much all of them killed...

Spielberg also disappointed me in this easily his worst film that I've seen. He tried to apply some kind of head-level camera angles to make it more realistic, but the only thing that accomplished was making it look utterly fake. All those shots of people standing in circles backing away were very unrealistic and the bleak cinematography didn't help either. He also didn't do a very good job with the child actors which was unpleasantly surprising.

I have to say though, the scene in the basement when the 'thing' is searching for them was intense and it felt like nothing seen in the movie before that...

5/10

Great way to top off a Tom Cruise marathon :rolleyes: I guess I'm seeing Collateral tomorrow after all...

The basement scene is one of those classic Spielbergian moments that only he can deliver in a film.  And he gets another great performance out of Cruise.  But the rest of the movie lacks a sense of awe and wonder. B-

• Like 1

Despite its (many) flaws, this has some of the best setpieces of any blockbuster from the past decade (side note - this is 10 years old. I feel fucking old). That first tripod attack is insane. Spielberg is so good at capturing mass hysteria and panic. That scene is just heart stoppingly intense.

That first tripod attack is insane. Spielberg is so good at capturing mass hysteria and panic. That scene is just heart stoppingly intense.

Yeah I saw this in cinemas when it came out, so I was 9 or 10 at the time. NIGHTMARES.  :(

• Like 1

Re-watched this again. I've seen this movie so many times and it is still keeping me on edge. Cruise's performance is the best in any of his movies. Yeah, the ending is kinda simple, but man oh man, the feels and the fun.

I mean, just look at this shit:

And that soundtrack!

Edited by James
  • Like 3