baumer

Before Sunrise

18 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Look up charming and the dictionary and you'll see a picture of Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy holding hands.

An intelligent, sincere film. It's really hard to pull off natural conversation in film but Linklater does it in spades. Part 1 of one of the greatest romances I've seen.

A terrific and immensely human and likable movie. As Spaghetti said Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke have a startlingly good, almost magical chemistry. Speaking of magical holy crap, I dont think I've ever seen any actress look as luminous and beautiful as Julia Delpy does here. 

4/5

I've just now had the pleasure of viewing this wonderful meditation on love and existence. It's very funny, thought-provoking, and one of the greatest romances ever put to screen. I look forward to seeing the finale on the big screen even before having seen the second one all the way through.

A+

I've just now had the pleasure of viewing this wonderful meditation on love and existence. It's very funny, thought-provoking, and one of the greatest romances ever put to screen. I look forward to seeing the finale on the big screen even before having seen the second one all the way through.

A+

Who said Before Midnight was the finale?

• Like 1

Where can they go after that? "Before Astronomical Twilight"?

idk, but the people involved have, not outright said but hinted that they see it like Michael Apted's UP series where they look at the state of a relationship every nine years.

Is it wrong that I didn't love this near as much as everyone else?Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad. But I didn't find it that great either, and find its greatness to be a bit overstated. It seemed too cutesy for its own good, and suffered from pacing issues. A better score and style would have done numbers for this film. I thought Weekend did a much better job of portraying a temporary fling, and had characters/situations that seemed much more real.However, I am still interested to see how the last two films in the series play out.B-/C+

Is it wrong that I didn't love this near as much as everyone else?Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad. But I didn't find it that great either, and find its greatness to be a bit overstated.It seemed too cutesy for its own good, and suffered from pacing issues. A better score and style would have done numbers for this film. I thought Weekend did a much better job of portraying a temporary fling, and had characters/situations that seemed much more real.However, I am still interested to see how the last two films in the series play out.B-/C+

What is that?