baumer

Before Sunset

15 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This is such a unique and heartfelt film. It works because their time Before Sunrise stands as a sort of centerpiece for how the two navigate each other back into each other's lives. It makes creating real people on screen feel so simple. CANNOT WAIT for Before Midnight.

There's a scene near the end of this film - the two main characters are in the back of a taxi, talking... that's all it is. Just two people talking while being driven through the streets of Paris. And that scene has more drama and emotion than pretty much any other scene in any other film you'll ever see.

One of the best films of the 00's, and even better than the (genuinely great) first film.

Blatantly an A.

• Like 3

There's a scene near the end of this film - the two main characters are in the back of a taxi, talking... that's all it is. Just two people talking while being driven through the streets of Paris. And that scene has more drama and emotion than pretty much any other scene in any other film you'll ever see.

One of the best films of the 00's, and even better than the (genuinely great) first film.

Blatantly an A.

Seriously! When Hawke looks away, and Delpy reaches out for him, I about died!

I died because that's the same reach that Hawkes gave towards Delpy at the beginning of Before Sunrise. It's weird and wonderful that a virtually plotless film suddenly has a moving climax.

Oh damn, I don't remember that. It's been a few years since I have seen them. It was just one of those things that I like them so much as characters, I want them to be together.It's really hard to find that in modern romances these days.

Re-watched this again in preparation for next weekend, when Before Midnight comes to my town. 

It's just as magical as Sunrise, but I think it's a tighter, more urgent film (that's simultaneously just as contemplative), and possibly my favorite movie ever. 

• Like 2

Welp, I guess somebody had to fill this role, and at this point I'm more than happy to fill the role of the heartless douchebag who doesn't get the greatness of this series.

I still have to see Before Midnight, but after the first two films I still can't really relate to the characters displayed on hand here.  The taxi ride was a great scene, and seemed to show progression and the culmination of how the characters have grown from the events of the first film.  Besides that, I was left a bit cold.

B-

I'm in such a contemplative mood now a good 30mn after seeing it again for first time in like forever since it came out I guess! My heart just fills up with love for these two people trying to get back to each other, bridge the gap of time and life that's happened since the last time they spent time together For some reason I thought he had taken the plane I don't know why?! The first was a love affair , this is more mature take on love , I love that he wrote a book about it to reassure himself that what happened happened that she was real what they felt was realThe entire film you're never sure if what they say is real or embellish or it is real but then they laugh it off to not seem too vulnerable and let the other see how acutely vulnerable they still are in each other presence. And the song she sings at the end is just beautiful , and then she's like "you mister are going to miss your plane" and he laughs saying "yeah I know" with such love and joy in his eyes like he's right where he's suppose to be and he's not going to let her out of his sight again I sighed so much during that taxi ride , stuff got real real for a moment there! And now I can watch before midnight , I feel in order to appreciate the 3rd film I had to rewatch the previous two you truly get a deep appreciation of these two characters I like to believe he actually did write the book in hopes she'd see it and chance a meeting with him I like his vision of romantic love!

At this point I'd name it as one of my ten favorite films of all time. Much as I love the other parts of the trilogy, this is the only one where I think every single conversation scene is as strong. and endlessly rewatchable, as any other (on the other hand, I become much less attentive when they meet the fortune teller and the street poet in Sunrise, or when Hawke starts talking about his premises for novels in Midnight). The theme of dealing with passed time hits me the most here, and consequently the resolution, where they finally - after almost a decade! - regain control over their lives and relationship to the sounds of "Just In Time" is one of the most triumphant and deliriously happy, yet not a tiny bit fake or forced, endings I've ever seen. 

• Like 1