Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

So The Dark Knight Rises got completely shunned by the Academy, not even a SINGLE nomination. This is worse than 2008 when TDK was shunned in many of the major categories.Rises didn't even get a visual effects nomination, yet Snow White and the Huntsman did? Also not even a nomination for editing for Rises? Absolute travesty. At this point the Academy is flat out mocking Rises, not giving it a visual effects nomination or any other minor nomination.The other nominations are mostly predictable.

Edited by ACCA
  • Like 1

I can't agree with you. It's a entertaining film, no doubt. Big time Oscar contender? Let's just say it wouldn't get my vote.

SLP hit me in a way that few films do. It floored me with its emotional resonance.The reason (besides how good of a film it is) the academy loves movies like this is because it's about the triumph of the human spirit. Broken characters putting their lives back together or overcoming great odds to accomplish something, is something the academy has liked for eons. Cuckoo's Nest, Rocky, American Beauty are just some examples of this. I think some of you are not giving enough credit to this film. For me of course, it is the best film of the year (tied with Argo and Perks, but they are no longer in contention).
  • Like 1

So The Dark Knight Rises got completely shunned by the Academy, not even a SINGLE nomination. This is worse than 2008 when TDK was shunned in many of the major categories.Rises didn't even get a visual effects nomination, yet Snow White and the Huntsman did? Also not even a nomination for editing for Rises? Absolute travesty.The other nominations are mostly predictable.

:lol:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca31znwNRqs

Oh, and in the No Guts No Glory thread I predicted that Haneke would get a bd nomination. Kiss my boot you peasants

And I've been championing the entire film for months sometimes facing ridicule. And take that you fuckers, GG, SAG. We don't fucking need your noms.

And seriously numbers, you are missing my point. I'm far from reaching. SLP has been touted as an oscar frontrunner every since it came out in limited release. It has won awards and accolades a plenty. I'm not saying this isn't a two horse race, because I believe it is, but when you are nominated in every major freakin category, then you have the attention of a lot of people. SLP imo will win it this year and I think it will big. Actor, actress, adapted and picture. Spielberg is locked for director imo.

Having 4 acting nominations ain't as big a deal as it used to be. And having a nomination in every acting category is nice and all, but the awards narrative still lies in Lincoln's backcourt because it has the most nominations, it has the Spielberg/DDL/Field three-time narrative, it has the American context, and so on.For SLP to win, it has to join The Departed as the only film since 2000 to win that did not have the most or second most nominations. The nomination in every major category narrative SLP has pales in comparison to The Departed's narrative: "It's Finally Scorsese's Fucking Time."As for the accolades, Lincoln has won substantially more precursor awards in the major categories than SLP has, so your argument doesn't go far there.

So The Dark Knight Rises got completely shunned by the Academy, not even a SINGLE nomination. This is worse than 2008 when TDK was shunned in many of the major categories.Rises didn't even get a visual effects nomination, yet Snow White and the Huntsman did? Also not even a nomination for editing for Rises? Absolute travesty. At this point the Academy is flat out mocking Rises, not giving it a visual effects nomination or any other minor nomination.The other nominations are mostly predictable.

The nominations this year are the complete antithesis of predictable.

SLP hit me in a way that few films do. It floored me with its emotional resonance.The reason (besides how good of a film it is) the academy loves movies like this is because it's about the triumph of the human spirit. Broken characters putting their lives back together or overcoming great odds to accomplish something, is something the academy has liked for eons. Cuckoo's Nest, Rocky, American Beauty are just some examples of this. I think some of you are not giving enough credit to this film. For me of course, it is the best film of the year (tied with Argo and Perks, but they are no longer in contention).

I feel you. I'm not counting it out completely. The actors obviously love it, but I think Lincoln will be too much to overcome in the end.