Jack Nevada

One Hit Wonder directors

I think most will agree with these:Irvin KershnerRichard MarquandSteven LisbergerMary Harron

actually, I'd only agree with Steven Lisberger due to Tron's cult status.American Psycho is Mary Harron's only wild release film, helping its cult building.Her other works are strictly personal cinema projects, which have enjoyed their share of critical praises.As for TESB and RotJ, I don't think that the directors had enough power over the production to call them the directors' hits.not all directors have decisive power over a movie project; "director's vision" is privilege in studios system, not a norm. Many directors are assigned to do the directing job only, which I'd think is the case for TESB and RotJ.

Rob Marshall. I don`t count POTC 4 because that was a default success. But he is one hit wonder. Chicago. That`s all.Also Chris Weitz. American Pie. New Moon was default success. Anyone could helm that and it would`ve made a fortune.

About a Boy and A Better Life say otherwise, critically if not commercially. Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

How could I forget Roger Allers, who did The Lion King. Rob Minkoff had a little more success with those Stuart Little movies but he's still come nowhere close to either the financial or artistic success of that film. Hopefully Mr. Peabody will be a return to form but I kinda doubt it.

Edited by tribefan695

Richard Kelly actually does fit this, so far. Nothing has approached the success he had with Donnie Darko and it's doubtful anything will.

Michael Cimino is another one. Deer Hunter followed by Heaven's Gate, which bankrupted its studio.

Daniel Myrick & Eduardo Sanchez - Blair Witch Project. Never have or will approach the lightning in a bottle success they had with that film.

• Like 4

Curtis Hanson:He hasn't had a hit since 8 Mile. He used to be popular in the 90s with The Hand that Rocks the Cradle, The River Wild, and LA Confidential. But in 2005, In Her shoes flopped even with critical acclaim. Then two years later, he ran out of luck with the Drew Barrymore drama, Lucky You. This caused him to take a five-year hiatus in directing theatrical movies. Then in 2012, Chasing Mavericks came out but opened even worse than LY.John McTiernan: He was popular in 1987-1990 with Predator, Die Hard, and The Hunt for Red October. But in the early 90s, he had a string of flops from Medicine Man to Last Action hero. Then, made a slight comeback for Die Hard 3 and The Thomas Crown Affair but faded out badly with The 13th Warrior, Rollerball, and Basic. Then, he went to jail for some tax evasion crime a few weeks ago.Renny Harlin: He was popular with Die Hard 2 and Cliffhanger. He only directed one hit in 1999 (deep Blue Sea) But between Cliffhanger (1993) and DBS, he failed with Cutthroat Island and The Long Kiss Goodnight. Then, after 2001, he was no longer the excellent director he once was.Paul Verhoeven: He connected well with audiences with Robocop, Total Recall and the controversial 1992 thriller, Basic Instinct. In 1995, however, his popularity was officially gone when Showgirls had one of the worst reviews ever and was an instant flop. While Starship Troopers and Hollow Man a few years latter had better grosses, it was a financial flop for them.Ron Underwood: He directed the popular City Slickers and grossed $125M, which easily became one of the highest grossers of 1991. However, the rest of his movies flopped. (Heart and Souls, 1993), (Speechless, 1994), (Mighty Joe Young, 1998). But in 2002, he was involved with one of the biggest flops and generating one of the worst openers ever, (The Adventures of Pluto Nash) despite the star-power of Eddie Murphy was met with bad reviews. Then after a 3-year hiatus, he directed a movie with Usher but that flopped (In the Mix).

eh??

• Like 1