iceroll

Weekend Numbers Jan 25-27 2013 HG 19 Parker 7

Yea, it seems like the projections think that the SuperBowl is a week early this year. Anyway, even if it's below supposed "tracking" expectations, I'm really impressed by HG. I thought it was ending up closer to 9 million than 19 million. Good for it.

HANSEL AND GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS made 25 M from 20 countries, 127% and 12% better than what UNDERWORLD AWAKENING and SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN did in the same territories respectively.That deserves a "whoa".

That is pretty good. Maybe it'll hold up. And those Sunday drops seem to be too steep.

Another Dredd .....

Except of course it's not quite as good as Dredd.

(Though it's ceratinly enjoyable if you're in the mood for an action film. If any action fans are thinking about seeing The Last Stand, better do it this week!)

Just noticed that 9 of the films in the Top 11 are rated R.  Only Lincoln and Mama are PG-13....and the latter is a horror film.  This should be good news for any animated/kids movies coming up.....

Has that ever happened before?

Just noticed that 9 of the films in the Top 11 are rated R.  Only Lincoln and Mama are PG-13....and the latter is a horror film.  This should be good news for any animated/kids movies coming up.....

Les Miz is PG-13 too.

As for kids movies, Escape From Planet Earth is coming up, but I don't think that's going to be big at all. Beyond that, I think you're looking at Oz and The Croods as the 2 big kids films this spring. By the time those finally come out, it will have been a long time since a lot of kids got to go see a movie in a theater.

Hansel & Gretel had a sufficiently solid opening. The movie looked (and was) so stupid that I was half-expecting it to bomb and miss the #1 spot. Especially surprising is the 38% Friday-to-Saturday jump it got. Legs will probably be really weak, but with a relatively low budget of $50 million and better prospects overseas, it should turn a solid profit.

Mama had a rough hold. I thought that being one of the few PG-13 movies in releases would result in a hold better than the norm for the genre; evidently, it didn't. Nevertheless, it has done very well against its small production costs, and it should finish near $75 million.

Silver Linings Playbook had a fantastic hold. Regardless of what ends up happening with it for the rest of awards season, it will surpass $100 million with ease. I guess the Weinsteins knew exactly what they were doing with this one after all.

Zero Dark Thirty held well again, once again thanks to a significantly larger multiplier than it had in the previous frame. It should still be able to top $100 million.

Parker had a weak opening, as expected. Jason Statham is a draw for his fans, but the trouble is that there aren't enough of them to make his movies hits, and the movies themselves are doing little to appeal to anyone else. It's not the weakest opening he's had as a headliner, but it's in the bottom tier.

Django Unchained also held well again. I don't think it will catch True Grit at this point, so it will have to settle for its current place in third on the all-time Western chart.

Movie 43 barely registered, but that's not surprising. The movie looks beyond awful, and its sole appeal seems to be seeing big stars in remarkably disgusting vignettes. It should have a quick exit for theaters, but I wouldn't be surprised if it picks up much, much more popularity on DVD as "so bad you have to see it" viewing.

Gangster Squad and Broken City both suffered large drops. Both have been disappointments.

Les Mis had a relatively large drop this weekend. It's definitely a bump in the film's leggy run, but it should still be able to top $150 million before closing.

Lincoln is still holding very well outside the top ten. It success with precursors (and by extension, its Oscar hype) will play a large role in determining whether it can gain another boost before wrapping up its run.

The top ten combined for $80.8 million, which is off from the same weekends in each of the last 8 years. But with the slate of new releases for the weekend, that's not particularly surprising.