Neo

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch | Nov. 9 2018

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Sing was on of Illumination's better movies and ended up with 634 ww. DM1 is good too and is at 543 ww. Both of them combined barely beat Minion's 1159 :gold:

Those are their only good movies.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Empire said:

I have no doubt this will make money. I just doubt it will be any good. 

Well no one expects a masterpiece from Illumination. It may be a funny time burner though and that's what their target audience wants. If you are not fine with their usual formula I dont see any reason to check this.

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I've  always been the biggest Illumination proponent when it comes to box office. Predicted the likes of Lorax, DM2, Minions, and SLOP's huge performances when most were barely predicting half of what they made. But I did get a bit burned predicting 300+ for DM3 and moreover this is the first one of their's that I'm seeing a few red flags in the marketing. Combine that with an unusually competitive holiday season for family films and I wouldn't be shocked if this ends up "only" doing around 200 to become their lowest grosser. But there's also still plenty of time for them to turn things around with the ho-hum marketing, so it's not like this movie's fate is sealed yet or anything. They need to step it up and do better than that first trailer though, and I've never once said that about one of their marketing campaigns. 

Of cource you can be right but it's very soon to know anyway.

I think they have one of the smartest teams on the game and it seems like eveery time they find a way to turn anything into a success.

The Grinch tale is very popular in the US as I hear which is double-edged. It will either elevate the movie into some serious heights or be negatively compared to the previous one and "fail".

But since they are targetting U12 kids and the parents that tjey will drag, I don't think there can be enough criticism to hurt this. Give them a bit of good laughs and they will love this.

I am seeing +$350m for this.

• Like 2

I don't know if it's been posted but apparently there was a director swap.

The big news here is today’s revelation that Gorillaz music video director Pete Candeland, who had been the director of the film since it was first announced five years ago, is no longer the director.

The Grinch directing team is now comprised of Yarrow Cheney (co-director of Secret Life of Pets) and Scott Mosier, the longtime producing partner of Kevin Smith on films like Clerks and Chasing Amy.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/illuminations-grinch-first-trailer-late-directorial-shake-157194.html

On 3/10/2018 at 11:30 PM, FantasticBeasts said:

Btw, I still think that SLOP is Illumination's best together with DM1.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I think SLOP is probably their best because it achieves what it sets out to. Basically just trying to be crazy ADD comedic slapstick. Minions also tries this, but fails miserably. All their others try some combination of that as well as also having more heart and dramatic heft, but none of them succeed fully in both categories. 

• Like 2

Illuminati already started their marketing crusade for this. When I went to see Deadpool 2 at my AMC theater, they started playing Grinch ads in between the trailers, with the Grinch doing hijinks.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 10:05 AM, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Illuminati already started their marketing crusade for this. When I went to see Deadpool 2 at my AMC theater, they started playing Grinch ads in between the trailers, with the Grinch doing hijinks.

:ohmygod:

So that's why their movies are always so successful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:27 PM, Empire said:

I have no doubt this will make money. I just doubt it will be any good. 

Exactly. The marketing people at Illimunation are a lot more competent then the actual filmmakers.

Unless you equate box office success with being a good quality film, in which case you are hopeless...