iceroll

Oscars Final Ratings: Over 40 million viewers 13.0 A18-49 ratings, TTYL Seth Haters

I dunno what show you were watching. The show I watched was the best in a long time. 

When the host's tone is this gross and perpetually nasty you've failed. When you have The Avengers cast bombing and not even in the same frame you've failed. When you have Paul Rudd and Melissa McCarthy bombing with horrible dialogue you've failed. When you shamelessly self promote you own musical (Chicago), you failed. When you CAN'T HEAR ADELE, you've failed.
  • Like 1

When the host's tone is this gross and perpetually nasty you've failed. When you have The Avengers cast bombing and not even in the same frame you've failed. When you have Paul Rudd and Melissa McCarthy bombing with horrible dialogue you've failed. When you shamelessly self promote you own musical (Chicago), you failed. When you CAN'T HEAR ADELE, you've failed.

The Host was hilarious. If you thought the Jew jokes, Ageism jokes, Boob Jokes, and etc. were offensive then you're too uptight about it. Let loose and just enjoy it. Not everything has to be politically correct. His tone was young, edgy, and above all extremely entertaining which couldn't be said about Francaway's trainwreck, and Crystal's recycled crap. 

Chicago's the highest grossing Musical of all time, they weren't gonna do a musical tribute and leave that out. And the Adele thing is just ridiculous, were you guys seriously not able to hear? I heard her perfectly fine over the music, granted I was playing it through a  set of speakers which could've made a difference. 

• Like 1

As individual bits of schtick, they're not terribly offensive. But it just built and built and you could tell the room wasn't liking it. It didn't help that most of them weren't funny (and I'm a guy who will defend The Onion on the whole Wallis thing) and a lot of them went on far too long. And I find that the fact that four of Seth's references in 'We Saw Your Boobs' were rape scenes to be gross. Also a bad idea: a tribute to Hollywood musicals and showing us three of them. One of which was nominated this year (and made for one of the highlights of the night), one of which the producers were involved with (so of course we got two appearances), one because Jennifer Hudson won a few years ago. The Adele sound mix was objectively awful. They underplayed her and they overplayed the orchestra. Plain and simple.

The Adele sound mix was objectively awful. They underplayed her and they overplayed the orchestra. Plain and simple.

I pin this one on 75% of the people have bad sound systems or something, because that didn't happen with me. Adele's voice was perfectly mixed with the orchestra. 

You are correct on every count. This was a boring show saved by the people who won the awards. Bad jokes, even worse musical numbers and terrible production value. I don't think MacFarlane is coming back. It is one thing for Golden Globes to have Gervais back (who was actually very funny) but the Academy takes itself very seriously and MacFarlane doesn't really have the stature to overcome the deficiencies of this past show. The ratings were mostly due to the quality of the movies involved and let us not pretend that they are going to tolerate Macfarlane due to a 3% ratings bump. This is just a minor fluctuation and Oscars is a show that sells out ads weeks in advance.

If you want a boring safe host have billy crystal. Host every year. Mcfarlane was fresh and funny. I say either bring him back or like he said get tina and amy to do it.

Oh God no. Not Tina and Amy. They aren't nearly nasty and politically incorrect enough to survive Academy neutering. At the GGs there's no filter, you can say whatever you want. At the Oscars you get neutered down to Academy standards. You could tell that Seth was neutered by the AMPAS but he still pushed through a lot of stuff like the Orgy presentation by Ted, and the Boobs song. I doubt anyone else could've gotten the Academy to approve of anything of that sort. 

Oh God no. Not Tina and Amy. They aren't nearly nasty and politically incorrect enough to survive Academy neutering. At the GGs there's no filter, you can say whatever you want. At the Oscars you get neutered down to Academy standards. You could tell that Seth was neutered by the AMPAS but he still pushed through a lot of stuff like the Orgy presentation by Ted, and the Boobs song. I doubt anyone else could've gotten the Academy to approve of anything of that sort.

I doubt they would do it anyways cause its a big commitment and amy still has parks to do. I think its a thankless job no matter how good you do someone wont like it.

I doubt they would do it anyways cause its a big commitment and amy still has parks to do. I think its a thankless job no matter how good you do someone wont like it.

Yeah. It's a thankless job because the Academy insists on its "moral" standards. They should just let someone as talented as Seth just write the entire show and don't interfere. 

• Like 1

I just hope they dont go back to crystal again

At least it's not Francaway. Whenever you think the show is going horribly just remember Francaway and the show seems to be more bearable. No one can possibly touch the rock bottom that Francaway hit. :P
  • Like 1

Billy Crystal brought ratings up and nobody liked that show either.Seriously, it's the movies. The nine BP noms collectively made a billion dollars. This year's race was more interesting than ever.

What about the 2011 show? You had TS3, Inception True Grit among others and ratings still went down. They increased last year for reasons I'm not quite sure of. I don't think it has anything to do with the movies.

Agreed. He was hit and miss. I think if he keeps it up he lost tons of the female audience, Jews and Christians it almost seemed last night.

The professionally offended that complained about it don't actually represent the people they supposedly speak for, he's fine.

What about the 2011 show? You had TS3, Inception True Grit among others and ratings still went down. They increased last year for reasons I'm not quite sure of. I don't think it has anything to do with the movies.

Of course ratings would be down between the year of Avatar and 2011. Look at the ratings history. It mostly has to do with the movies.