baumer

BSG (GAME ON!!)

I want to try at this game but I'm new so I'm not very clear on the game rule/structure. Can someone kindly explain on how the game is played?Thanks

When it gets closer to the start of the game there will be a long post detailing all the rules.

• Like 1

I want to try at this game but I'm new so I'm not very clear on the game rule/structure. Can someone kindly explain on how the game is played? Thanks

Its pretty easy at the beginning you predict a top 12 Dom,top 5 WW,top 5 OW. Then every week you have to answer the questions by thursday night. Its a fun game.

Here's a link to last years game, and really, all you have to do is scroll through the threads here and you will get a good idea of how it is played.Go to the fourth post down, and it is the giant post for how the game works:http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/2614-bsg-movie-trivia-worth-20000-points-is-up/I will warn you though, the thread with the instructions is all bark and no bite. It's long and incredibly detailed but what it really comes down to is this:You predict the top 12-15 films for the summerYou predict other categories like WW top 5, OW top 5 and so onThere are 12-15 preseason questions worth a lot of pointsThere are anywhere from 12-50 weekly questions to answer for pointsThere are Spur of the Moment questions worth anywhere from 8-15K eachThat's the crux of it. By the end of the summer, the person with the most points wins. I give out prize money every year, but unfortunately for Fake last year, he didn't receive his money because paypal in India would not accept my money transfer for him.I have a sort of big announcement before the game starts this year. It really doesn't affect the game in a negative way, and it could be a positive thing. It has to do with my personal life. So stay tuned, I'll fill you in when it gets closer to May.

Edited by baumer

Thank you so much for the replies guys. So fun games, and promise of prize money too? Yep I'll be there ^^Since I'm new to predicting box office, I think I will set my ultimate goal for this year to be somehow end up in Top Ten and I'll be happy lol.Looking forward to your big announcement Baumer. And thanks again!!

• Like 1

Here's a link to last years game, and really, all you have to do is scroll through the threads here and you will get a good idea of how it is played.Go to the fourth post down, and it is the giant post for how the game works:http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/2614-bsg-movie-trivia-worth-20000-points-is-up/I will warn you though, the thread with the instructions is all bark and no bite. It's long and incredibly detailed but what it really comes down to is this:You predict the top 12-15 films for the summerYou predict other categories like WW top 5, OW top 5 and so onThere are 12-15 preseason questions worth a lot of pointsThere are anywhere from 12-50 weekly questions to answer for pointsThere are Spur of the Moment questions worth anywhere from 8-15K eachThat's the crux of it. By the end of the summer, the person with the most points wins. I give out prize money every year, but unfortunately for Fake last year, he didn't receive his money because paypal in India would not accept my money transfer for him.I have a sort of big announcement before the game starts this year. It really doesn't affect the game in a negative way, and it could be a positive thing. It has to do with my personal life. So stay tuned, I'll fill you in when it gets closer to May.

:angry:

Baumer, your game has always intrigued me but I was afraid my overall predictive capabilities wouldn't be on par with the rest and chose not to play the game. This year I want to give it a go and see where I finish.  :)

I assume it has to do with your participation being a minor role. It is "Baumer's" Summer Game. <_<

Well, thanks for the kind words, but I did not say I would only be participating in a minor role. I just mean that there might be some changes in my personal life that might affect the game for the better.

Baumer, your game has always intrigued me but I was afraid my overall predictive capabilities wouldn't be on par with the rest and chose not to play the game. This year I want to give it a go and see where I finish.  :)

Dude, you don't have to worry about how bad you think you might do. This is a lot of fun and there are so many ways to get points. You will do fine, buddy.

I really like the prediction part of the game. Maybe more aspects of it. Maybe I will say one that is already in the game, but OS OW and OD. For questions ones that focus on 3-day and 5-day totals and top 5 biggest midnights. Top 5 biggest OD's of the Summer maybe a few fastest to 100M, etc questions.

Just a few suggestions. :D

The top 12 will always be important. The game was built on the top 12. That's why the more accurate you are the more points you get. I might work out a system where you know in advance (like a semester in college) what each category will be worth to your score % wise. But the top 12 will always be worth the most as this game was devised so that people would put up or shut up. :)

Yeah I definitely agree that the top 12 should be the bulk of the points, just that in the past I felt that the scores didn't align with the difficulty/accuracy that well.  For example, near the bottom ranks from 8-12 usually when grosses are closer the big point swings for getting the position right could make or break someone's game, but the actual difference in gross between those films might have been as little as 5 or 10 million, so it seems to have more to do with luck.  And acsc sort of addressed the issue of having a bonus for 9/12 and one for 12/12 but nothing in between by adding bonuses for 10/12 and 11/12 which was really good IMO since it's a lot harder to get 11/12 than 9/12 but before they were just the same bonus.

Just some thoughts I've had while playing this game  ;)

• Like 2

To druv10 and Sam: myself and Gopher played for the very first time back in 2009 after we had just joined the forums in late 2008 and were up against veterans who had been there for years with analysis and knowledge. He came 1st and I came 2nd. And let me tell you right now your top 12 means everything, so put a LOT of thought and effort into them. Me and gopher were just barely in the top 10 before our top 12 was counted. I will definitely be back to playing this game this year and I can't frigging wait! :D

• Like 2

I can't wait! Even though I'm generally pretty unsure apart from the top 12 prediction which is pure prediction! Also I can't wait for the coinciding Laguy03 thread which is fantastic for keeping a track of scores

Is laguy03 even around anymore? I haven't seen him.