Ariadne

Game of Thrones (TV ONLY) [Leaked Spoilers prohibited]

It was pretty funny how quickly Melisandre went from all confident and proud to

tumblr_nnxrh2WXo41tq4of6o1_500.gif

in about 5 seconds and she just books.

Show Mel isn't very competent compared to Book Mel. Show Mel doesn't even try to justify how Balon Greyjoy is still alive (it helps the writers seem to have made everyone else forget Balon Greyjoy even existed).

Edited by Numbers of Westeros
  • Like 1

The other reason is that I hate the Boltons and, fine, the Starks miscalculated and were killed, but Stannis should have killed them off. Why the Boltons have any support at all is beyond me, but they had more men than Stannis, who even likes them? I know half his men left, but the Boltons are a joke. I hope they are killed off quickly because their "rule" is a farce. All the Kings are dead and two clowns in the North still retain power? It reeks off unbelievability even on a show like this.

It's easy to assume that some of those troops were Lannister and Frey bannermen. It's much easier to assume that than think that after the Red Wedding, every pro-Lannister brigade returned to Casterly Rock or King's Landing.

As for Jon, if Kit Harrington cuts his hair, shaves his beard, and films other material this fall/winter, then I might be convinced he may not be coming back.

News just in.

Kit Harrington to shoot Pompeii 2 this fall/winter.

Oh, I know that for sure. I've made that same exact argument to Sun's Son and other pessimists like 20 times in the past two weeks. But Jon's death is significant because to casual viewers he was THE protagonist of this series and it symbolizes something so bleak that if something good doesn't come soon people will turn away. Maybe I'm overreacting a bit, but the Unsullied on my Twitter and Facebook feed have gone cuckoo for motherfuckin Cocoa Puffs. They're swearing the show off unless he comes back.

Also a possibility that I'm up past my bedtime and my mind is failing me. The night is dark and full of terrors etc.

If only they do the show has become a parody of itself

That episode had to set a record for most characters left in separate cliffhanger situations. Cersi, Sam and Tyrion were basically the only major characters who weren't in a life threatening situation at the end of the season.

I was talking to Dan Weiss and he said Jon is really dead. But George R.R. Martin left open the possibility the character might not be dead in the books. And then that cast salary contract story came out last year and it had your name among those receiving raises for season six and an option on a seventh. So let me ask you: Is Jonreally dead?

This is my understanding of it. I had a sit-down with Dan and David, we did the Tony Soprano walk [letting an actor know they’re being whacked]. And they said, “Look, you’re gone, it’s done.” And as far as the salary thing goes, that angered me when that story came out. I don’t know where it came from, but it was inaccurate in many ways. It’s going to put questions into your head and into fans’ heads that things are not what they are. Quite honestly, I have never been told the future of things in this show, but this is the one time I have. They sat me down and said, “This is how it is.” If anything in the future isnot like that, then I don’t know about it – it’s only in David and Dan and George’s heads. But I’ve been told I’m dead. I’m dead. I’m not coming back next season. So that’s all I can tell you, really.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/14/game-thrones-jon-dies-interview

Edited by #ED

Such a mixed episode. pretty much like the whole season. 

THE GOOD

- Cersei's walk of shame was excellent. One of the few scenes where the pace slowed down just enough to let the story breathe. And Lena was INCREDIBLE. Loved Qyburn & ZombMountain too. Jonathan Pryce killed it (again).

- Arya v Trant. Jeez that was intense. I thought I was watching 'Audition' or something. A suitably nasty way to go for such a horrible piece of work. 

- Stannis v Brienne - I HATED the death of Shireen (for reasons of plausibility and because it felt completely unearnt). But I liked just how quickly it all went south for Stannis-not-the-mannis. And I really liked that the big battle was seen only very briefly and from a distance... that long shot was one of the most beautiful the show has ever done. Not sure why they didn't show Stannis actually dying though... 

- Winterfell - the promise that Sansa (and even more so, Theon) might actually leave Ramsay behind suddenly makes their story interesting again. As sadistic and evil as the Boltons are, they're so very terribly dull and one note... the sooner they are annihilated the better. And Myranda's death was a bit of a fist-pump moment.

THE BAD

- Meereen - meh.

- Dany meets the Dothraki - meh. Also the location looked far too 'Westerosi' for me... didn't look anything like the Dothraki sea we saw in S1... little details but they mean a lot to a loser like me.

- Dorne - just terrible. They've really screwed the pooch with this one. Ellaria and the Sand Snakes are awful awful characters. Indira Varma does a great job with terrible material... the rest of them, not so much. And seriously, why are these women even there to say goodbye to Myrcella and Jamie? I know Dorne is super liberal but you'd have thought they might have been politely asked to stay at home for this one.

THE UGLY

- No LSH (not that it was likely to happen, but they really prickteased by calling the episode Mother's Mercy)

- Do you know what this show needs? More sexual violence. Do you know what would make it even better? If it was sexual violence directed towards children.....

9067a01aac0b4762281e9471c596774a.jpg

NOT SURE

- For the Watch - I mean, this has been so crappily foreshadowed all season that no one can really be shocked, can they? And OF COURSE Olly was involved. The final shot was properly haunting though, lingering on Jon's death stare for an uncomfortable amount of time. I kept expecting SOMETHING to happen, but no - they're really leaving us with this. If Jon really is dead, then we're past the point of no return for many fans... but something tells me that despite all of the 'NO HE'S REALLY DEAD' D&D and Harington are laying on, we'll be seeing more of Jon Snow next year.

So.... yeah... Season 5. I still love the show, I really do. There's absolutely nothing like it on TV. But I sincerely hope that D&D stop aggressively streamlining and simplifying every single storyline. Adaptation is fine, but stripping away everything (including logic & motivation) has cheapened the show for me. The whole season feels like a deliberate attempt to up-the-ante from a shock point of view, most of the time sacrificing  any sense of logic. But hey, we got 'Hardhome', so I really can't complain.