ddddeeee

Film scores 2013

For all the gushing about M83's score, I thought it was pretty lackluster. Sounded like B-level Zimmer.

Yeah, that score barely registered. 

Oh, I forgot The Croods. That was surprisingly great score from Alan Silvestri

For all the gushing about M83's score, I thought it was pretty lackluster. Sounded like B-level Zimmer.

Yeah, I have to agree. So disappointed with it. Only ones I really remember are the Canyon cue and "I'm Sending You Away". You shouldn't hire M83 if you just want generic action music.

Edited by tribefan695

I really didn't had time to listen this scores properly, only listened some tracks separately. Oz is the best by far, Oblivions is good but a bit lacking, IM3 is efficient but generic. I had high hopes for JTGS, but I was disappointed by its blandess.

Article's old, but gives some insight into why the M83 score doesn't sound like M83

http://pitchfork.com/features/update/9110-anthony-gonzalez/

Really frustrating to see studios with such a bipolar attitude towards artists like him. So they liked him because of the success of his album but they didn't want to use his style in the actual movie? It doesn't make any freaking sense.

It's a sad story, and one I've read far too many times.

Unless you're John Williams, Danny Elfman, Michael Giacchino or James Horner nowadays, you're given the option of conforming to the Zimmer-dominated soundscape of today, or not getting work. Patrick Doyle conformed to a certain extent and his career has boomed, David Arnold and John Debney have refused to conform and struggle to get substantial work.

• Like 1

It's a sad story, and one I've read far too many times.Unless you're John Williams, Danny Elfman, Michael Giacchino or James Horner nowadays, you're given the option of conforming to the Zimmer-dominated soundscape of today, or not getting work. Patrick Doyle conformed to a certain extent and his career has boomed, David Arnold and John Debney have refused to conform and struggle to get substantial work.

the only score that I heard from David Arnaldo was Narnia and It was awful compared to the first two. And oh god, John Debney is horrible. Edited by Goffe

I heard 8 tracks from STiD and sounds awesome, AWESOME. I thought Giacchino would repeat itself too much (would be still good, but disappointing), but man I was wrong

Agreed! I'm not sure how some think it underwhelms; it is the best I've heard yet this year, and one of my favorites overall! And while "Ode to Harrison" is a great track, I think there's two or three better ones on the soundtrack.

For the rest of the year, my #1 is Shore's next Hobbit score, followed by Zimmer's Man of Steel (which I really hope does NOT sound like his Batman scores). Also hoping JNH's score for Catching Fire is way better than the Hunger Games score, which was very underwhelming. Other than that, not much jumps out at me as a must-have, but I'll be sure to check out more of them as the year progresses to see which are must-have scores.

the only score that I heard from David Arnaldo was Narnia and It was awful compared to the first two. And oh god, John Debney is horrible.

Arnold's Narnia score is fantastic and shits on the average first two. Stargate and Independence day are both masterpieces.

Debney's Passion of the Christ and Lair are some of the best scores of all time.

Edited by Floppit Floppeeeddd

Arnold's Narnia score is fantastic and shits on the average first two. Stargate and Independence day are both masterpieces.Debney's Passion of the Christ and Lair are some of the best scores of all time.

Narnia 3 score was dogshit, face it :P

John Debney's score for The Passion was incredible. Everything else he's done is average to say the least. His Iron Man 2 score had absolutely no identity to it, with a theme so infrequent and undeveloped you can't even call it a theme. Brian Tyler's score for Iron Man 3 was an improvement in every way.

Speaking of whom, I listened to some of Now You See Me and while it's obviously not as epic, I find it rather catchy.