ddddeeee

Film scores 2013

I found the score a bit over the top in ST2...

Its like Its big bad Villian super crazy music played... 

I'll agree there's a few moments where it is a bit much, but overall it didn't bother me. The only place I remember the score being too over the top was the end of the scene with the family in the hospital, when it zooms up on Harrison's face. Reminded me too much of Kill Bill... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOy6hqzfsAs

Otherwise there were lots of grand moments in the score, particularly when they swim to the Enterprise underwater, when the USS Vengeance comes out of warp right in front of the Enterprise, the Warp Core sequence, Spock's mind-meld with Pike... love this score =)

• Like 1

Just had my first full listen to the 2-disc MoS score and it nearly killed me. Boring. Not a fan.

I know simplicity is what Zimmer strives for, but seriously a child could write this stuff if he had the right people around him.

• Like 2

So... I got the Man of Steel deluxe edition when i got home. Put on my headphones, went to bed while listening to the soundtrack. (Yes, I tend to do that sometimes... It relaxes me). It started up so well, but then I got to the action sequences when the score started becoming bombastic. No more sleep. Anyways, re-listening to it right now in order to get a 'conscious' opinion on it.

Edited by ChD

The last cues of Man of Steel are very solid. Glad they used them in the trailers

After Earth didn't catch me...

Iron Man 3 theme is pretty solid. The rest of the score is too generic.

Star Trek 2 is bombastic and effective. I didn't like though the retake of Enterprising Young Men in the last cue. Giacchino should develope that theme in every film, IMO

Waiting to listen to the scores of Monsters University and Lone Ranger, but the scores for the rest of the summer films seem very weak. 

• Like 1

It's a sad story, and one I've read far too many times.

Unless you're John Williams, Danny Elfman, Michael Giacchino or James Horner nowadays, you're given the option of conforming to the Zimmer-dominated soundscape of today, or not getting work. Patrick Doyle conformed to a certain extent and his career has boomed, David Arnold and John Debney have refused to conform and struggle to get substantial work.

James Horner won't score Ender's Game... replaced by Jablonsky. You see, even Horner has lost work in favour of one of the Mediaventure's clones.

The last cues of Man of Steel are very solid. Glad they used them in the trailers

After Earth didn't catch me...

Iron Man 3 theme is pretty solid. The rest of the score is too generic.

Star Trek 2 is bombastic and effective. I didn't like though the retake of Enterprising Young Men in the last cue. Giacchino should develope that theme in every film, IMO

Waiting to listen to the scores of Monsters University and Lone Ranger, but the scores for the rest of the summer films seem very weak. 

It actually is fairly developed compared to Enterprising Young Men. At least, it is considerably "bigger" and more fleshed out. I agree though, I was definitely hoping for some more development of the theme.

Listened to the Man of Steel score today... where's the music? =/ The last two tracks are good, but I seriously can't recall anything from the first 15 besides having to turn the volume down occasionally because of blaring dissonance. I was hoping for so much more here... I seriously wish Zimmer would tone down the "sound" and ramp up the actual music.

• Like 1

Listened to the Man of Steel score today... where's the music? =/ The last two tracks are good, but I seriously can't recall anything from the first 15 besides having to turn the volume down occasionally because of blaring dissonance. I was hoping for so much more here... I seriously wish Zimmer would tone down the "sound" and ramp up the actual music.

Are there woodwinds to be found?

Are there woodwinds to be found?

Not that I noticed. If they're there, they are likely covered up by walls of blaring brass/synth. Granted I was studying as I listened to this, so I can't give too much analysis, but the fact I was able to actually focus on studying while this was on speaks for itself. Generally I can't study while listening to anything!

I really wanted to like this score, but it was just downright boring. I had the same issue with his Dark Knight scores, but this one actually seemed worse. I hope it at least works within the context of the film.

+1 for using piano in some of the final tracks though!

• Like 1

I just listened to some of MoS's score. Very boring indeed, and this is from someone who actually quite likes a lot of Zimmer's stuff. I can see it working well with the film, but there's no subtlety at all.

Edited by Heretic

The wonderful MoS theme in the trailer was virtually nonexistent in the movie .  There were teasing hints throughout but nothing as soaring and epic as the trailer treatment (especially the 1:17-1:33 and 1:58-2:33 mark).  I haven't heard the actual soundtrack but that defeats the purpose.  It should have been in the movie.  Ah well.