ddddeeee

Film scores 2013

2013 has already given us two fantastic fantasy scores with Jack the Giant Slayer and Oz and a lovely choral score to Mama. What are you looking forward to this year?

After Earth - James Newton Howard

Effie - Patrick Doyle

Ender's Game - James Horner

Epic - Danny Elfman

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug - Howard Shore

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - James Newton Howard

Jack Ryan - Patrick Doyle

Romeo & Juliet - James Horner

Thor: The Dark World - ?

The Wolverine - Marco Beltrami

Cautiously curious about Zimmer's two summer blockbusters.

2013 has already given us two fantastic fantasy scores with Jack the Giant Slayer and Oz and a lovely choral score to Mama. What are you looking forward to this year?

After Earth - James Newton Howard

Effie - Patrick Doyle

Ender's Game - James Horner

Epic - Danny Elfman

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug - Howard Shore

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - James Newton Howard

Jack Ryan - Patrick Doyle

Romeo & Juliet - James Horner

Thor: The Dark World - ?

The Wolverine - Marco Beltrami

Cautiously curious about Zimmer's two summer blockbusters.

I am really looking forward to James Horner's scores.  He's my 2nd favorite behind Williams.  Also, note that 

Michael Giacchino  is scoring Star Trek: Into Darkness and he might be the composer for the upcoming Star Wars trilogy.

Whatever Hans Zimmer's doing. I love his work on every single one of his movies. Man Of Steel should be interesting. Also liked The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey's score so, naturally I'm looking forward to Desolation of Smaugh, too.

I also liked Oz's score a lot. Especially this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3L9Q7mtZI4

Simply amazing. Elfman did an amazing job.

• Like 4

So far I've enjoyed the hell out of Oblivion and Cloud Atlas (which is a 2013 release for us UKers) and I've heard good things about Jack the Giant Slayer, which is good news since I've always had a soft spot for Ottman (he currently has claim to the best Superman score not composed by John Willliams).

The Maniac soundtrack by Rob got a lot of playtime out of me over the last few weeks. Although not always an easy listen it's a real love letter to 80's electro and synth horror.

Iron Man 3 was an enjoyable listen but I don't think it's going to get much more spin time. Brian Tyler is a sugar rush composer. His scores are a blast when you listen to them but they leave little impact. He's perfectly okay though. I also felt very similarly towards Danny Elfman's Oz. There's little outside of his comfort zone but it undeniably works well. 

I'm currently looking forward to:

Man of Steel

Star Trek

The HobbitThe Hunger Games

After Earth (James Newton Howard remains the only consistantly solid thing about an M Night Shyamalan film :D. Also one of my favourite composers )

• Like 1