Shawn Robbins

Weekend Numbers (OZ: 80 mill)

Sadly, I don't think it stands a chance. If The Croods magically fails, he does, but if not, 220M is maximum.Inception is a franchise?

What's the buzz on The Croods? I haven't been following it too much. Looks interesting though and if its as good as HTTYD I'll catch it.

I don't see how this means the box office in 2013 sucks- yes, it disappointed overseas, but domestically it's very impressive. Third largest March opening, 80+ million. I think an impressive domestic total is important, and it has one. The box office doesn't suck at all, calm down.

• Like 1

How often does that happen?The only example I can think of is GI Joe and that's because Paramount and Hasbro were desperate.

With Disney and these iconic brands, the movies are essentially are long trailers for all the miscellaneous stuff we don't care about (but studios sure do).Edit: I think Paramount probably lost a decent chunk of money with ST09 theatrically (not nearly a hundred million, of course). Edited by Telemachos

It cost $200m and god knows how much Disney spent on marketing. So looks like it won't be making an outright profit from worldwide box office, but will eventually afterwards.Legs could surprise though.

100M marketing. Until it has very good DVD/Bluray Sales, they won't cross into the profit territory.

It's gonna lose between 50-100M. You say if this is enough for a sequel^^

You can be assured that this doesn't lose Disney a cent  ... this is the perfect film for home video and TV, it will wash hundreds of millions US$ into their wallets after its theatrical run. If movies had to make their money back from the theatrical run, a lot of studios would be in a lot more trouble than they are (and budgets would be smaller  B)  )

Edited by IndustriousAngel
  • Like 3

I take it as, at least their taking good risks. Maybe they didn't match your or my expectations but to those that matter, not so much. A disappointment maybe it could be a wise "investment" in the end.

Simple cost benefit analysis says it makes more sense to invest in multi-billion dollar money makers like Star Wars, PTOC, Pixar, and Marvel than risky and marginally profitable Oz movies.How many James Franco Oz mugs do you think they can sell anyway? Edited by grey ghost

It cost $200m and god knows how much Disney spent on marketing. So looks like it won't be making an outright profit from worldwide box office, but will eventually afterwards.Legs could surprise though.

??? With 215M+125M(marketing?) = 340M so 680M means they are good. When looking at profitability we don't count marketing, right?

Simple cost benefit analysis says it makes more sense in multi-billion dollar money makers like Star Wars, PTOC, Pixar, and Marvel than rasky and marginally profitable Oz movies.How many James Franco Oz mugs do you think they can sell anyway?

I would buy one, I tell you that. And probably one with Finley and China Girl.

And one with Mila Kunis only so I can smash it to the ground.

Edited by ChFloppit
  • Like 2

With Disney and these iconic brands, the movies are essentially are long trailers for all the miscellaneous stuff we don't care about (but studios sure do).Edit: I think Paramount probably lost a decent chunk of money with ST09 theatrically (not nearly a hundred million, of course).

I heard that the budgets for Disney movies usually include these movie-based theme park or even video games/toys investments. Is it that case ? Since that could explain why Disney trend to have bigger budgets for their movies compared with other studios.

Sadly, I don't think it stands a chance. If The Croods magically fails, he does, but if not, 220M is maximum.Inception is a franchise?

I was looking for a term for different movie series.Is there a more fitting one to include movies like Inception and ET? Edited by grey ghost