CAYOM Year 7 Discussion

I have a bad feeling that Nebula's release pattern will be detrimental. Sub-$10M expansion.An R-rated sci-fi movie in the same month as other tentpoles is destined to die.It'd be safer in a month with not as much market demand, like February or October.

The limited first week would be only in the biggest theatres in major cities, and it's meant to create buzz and positive word of mouth, but with only 85 theatres anything above 2m would be incredible, it's not exactly going to remove millions from the opening weekend.  I really, really doubt it would get less than a 3k PTA the next weekend, it's not a low budget arthouse film.

Besides as Numbers said it's not really meant as a huge blockbuster, but in presentation at least it will probably be somewhat blockbustery, but it's not really a traditional Hollywood film.

PS. The only reason I mention it's not a low budget arthouse film despite it being Lars Von Trier is because the scope and visuals would only be achievable with support of a major studio, but this is not just me tacking on his name to a regular blockbuster to create buzz or whatever.

Edited by Hunch

The limited first week would be only in the biggest theatres in major cities, and it's meant to create buzz and positive word of mouth, but with only 85 theatres anything above 2m would be incredible, it's not exactly going to remove millions from the opening weekend. I really, really doubt it would get less than a 3k PTA the next weekend, it's not a low budget arthouse film.

Unfortunately it would fall below any of those forecasts.I'm gonna wait until the film is posted to make my predictions, but for now, the bar's really low.This is what I came up with.Limited OW: $1MWide OW: $8M

Did it about a half hour ago, but yes, I did post yet another major animated film. :P

You could change the title to something else, since it sounds too much like a Les Miz parody (which it actually is, but it'd be more accessible).

Um...I haven't even posted the cast, or the budget, or the plot.  A bit premature to be making predictions, especially when an R rated sci-fi film opened to 50 million last summer.  But I don't really care about box office.

Um...I haven't even posted the cast, or the budget, or the plot. A bit premature to be making predictions, especially when an R rated sci-fi film opened to 50 million last summer. But I don't really care about box office.

Well just keep a low budget so it won't be viewed as a huge bomb.

Um...I haven't even posted the cast, or the budget, or the plot.  A bit premature to be making predictions, especially when an R rated sci-fi film opened to 50 million last summer.  But I don't really care about box office.

I'm not referring to that stuff yet; I'm referring to three sci-fi's already being released in that month...

I don't really care if it bombs, the budget will be whatever the plot I write requires (probably not as much as most Hollywood films, he's the kind of director who can get amazing visuals out of a modest budget, like Danny Boyle or Guillermo del Toro).

Unfortunately it would fall below any of those forecasts.I'm gonna wait until the film is posted to make my predictions, but for now, the bar's really low.This is what I came up with.Limited OW: $1MWide OW: $8M

Lars von Trier + a big-concept sci-fi movie is worth at least a $15,000 PTA in its limited opening. The "film elite" crowd will be too intrigued to pass it up.

• Like 2

Remember, Skyline (a sci-fi movie) was made with only $10 million.So Nebula could be made with only $15-20 million. It'd still be a success even if it only debuted to $8 million, with overseas numbers it'd break even.

Lars von Trier + a big-concept sci-fi movie is worth at least a $15,000 PTA in its limited opening. The "film elite" crowd will be too intrigued to pass it up.

Could be popular among cinephiles, but nobody else really. $2M would be the high, $1M the low.