Trance (2013)  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it.

Started great, It really lost me somewhere in the second act where it seemed to be determined to be as twisty and confusing as possible instead of trying to actually focus on anything. But I really, really liked the ending for the way it tied everything together though I get why people hate it. I genuinely didn't see the ending coming but I've talked to others who say it was obvious, so I dunno. The fact that Boyle directed the shit out of the whole thing didn't hurt.

Also cast is pretty good. McAvoy kinda over does it at the end, I don't think he plays "bad guy" very well.

I'd give it a B+. Overall it's a fun, trippy ride.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

Loved it! Especially the music. 

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImageThe crowd leaving. Took five minutes.

I literally brushed shoulders with him while we were walking out. My friend got one of those "hey, we're in the same frame as him!" pictures of us.

I didn't think it was as obvious as some have said it is, so for a while I was engaged by its mind games and impressive music/visuals. But I think the lack of a clear character goal (I spent too much time thinking about where Rosario's allegiance was with) makes the constant trickery kind of boring at some point, and with no emotional hook I found it to be a hard movie to love. A decent film, but definitely a minor effort in Boyle's filmography.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 2

Agreed, it was a very enjoyable audiovisual experience, but when it's nearly impossible to connect to the story and/or characters in any way, well, that's pretty much it right then and there. I'm almost inclined to think Boyle clearly understood that early on and made the movie as an experiment to see how far his direction could take such mediocre material. Well, he did direct the absolute shit out of the flick - the combination of visuals and music is frequently hypnotising by itself - but it's still only good while it lasts.

Not really my thing. I really didn't get the whole film. I understood it but it was nothing like I expected it to be. I think I would have liked it more if it was the film I thought it was from the trailers. This is a pretty straight forward heist film with a bit of amnesia thrown into the mix. And Rosario Dawson showing that she has one of the best bodies on any woman, but other than that I found it very slow and far from interesting. Maybe just not my thing, but I just couldn't get interested in it.5/10

I thought this was a fun pulpy ride.Sure, it's not very deep or character-oriented but that didn't really bother me. The color, visuals, and score were enough to entertain me. The story was more than adequate for movie of this type.Damn good trashy B-movie from a pretty solid director, IMO.B