Dementeleus

The Place Beyond the Pines (2013)

The Place Beyond the Pines (2013  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it.

What is so incredible about the movie is that not only does it switch Leeds halfway through there is really three distinctive stories in the film. And all three stories are allowed to be told. Cooper and Gosling are incredible and i liked it immensely.9.5/10

I would almost argue that there are three leads.

• Like 1

I enjoyed this alot. The last 15 or 20 minutes or so get a bit over-the-top and draggy and I had to suspend my disbelief for the whole robbery/jaunt in the woods scene, and there is a few times where it is a bit OVERdirected.  But otherwise, I thought it was brilliant. Exceptionally shot and scripted, and I've been thinking about it for a while now. Acting was awesome- Cooper and Cooper's son impressed me the most, and Gosling, Mendelsohn, and especially Liotta impressed the hell out of me. 

A-

Well that sure was one depressing fucking movie! Damn! I guess I didn't really know what to expect, but it was way more of a downer than I anticipated.  I had no idea it was basically going to be two different movies, two halves really, which was interesting and disappointing at the same time.  I def liked the first half with Gosling better (as he's becoming one of my favorite current actors after Drive and Crazy, Stupid, Love and the upcoming Only God Forgives), but it was a good movie, just not the great movie I was hoping for (based on the excellent trailer and good review scores).

It was obvious Gosling wasn't going to last a bank robber but him getting killed was a surprise and the total shift to Cooper's story then the 15 year jump to the kids was another interesting surprise. You knew the two sons were going to be friends and shit was going to go down, at least it had a somewhat happy ending with Cooper's son looking like he may finally clean up his act and Jason finding some piece with a bike and being on the road like his dad.

May see it again sometime down the road, but wasn't expecting such a downer I guess.

B/B- 

Holy shit. This movie is just...I loved the first act, I loved the second act, I loved the third act. Every second of this movie I adored. The final scene keeps replaying in my head. I can't decide between A/A+ A+ ratings are typically reserved for like the top 25 movies I've ever seen, that's how good this movie was.

• Like 1

Late seeing this, but yeah - really good. I knew Gosling bit the dust halfway through which is proabably why the transition felt so natural for me, but I thought that all worked really well. Even the third part lasted just about long enough to not outstay its welcome. After this and Blue Valentine, the director is clearly a major talent.

I guess if I had to nitpick, I thought it was a slight shame that Eva Mendes' character only existed in the film to cry.

I didn't know Gosling bit it but I knew about the pacing being like another movie once Cooper came in so I think that helped me with it too. I knew that last chase was ending badly for him but when he told the family to leave I figured he was surrendering (which he might have been) and not for Cooper to run in there and shoot. So it surprised me but I wasn't shocked by the jarring change of pace afterward.

I wouldn't say it's going to be one of my favorite films, and I didn't really love it, but this is just a really well-made movie in all aspects.  It is a bit unfortunate that the third act, while good, doesn't quite measure up to the previous two acts.  

However, in the end, it's a testament to how strong the script, editing, acting, and direction are that the drama here feels natural and unforced.  Easily one of the best of the year.

A-

Edited by mattmav45

Loved the first two stories, was terribly disappointed by the third. I really didn't have any sympathy whatsoever for either kid. Still, 2/3rds of a terrific film.

B

Side note: I always thought it was pronounced she-nectady. Learn something new every day.

Edited by tribefan695