baumer

Oblivion (2013)

81 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I voted B but I actually think it was a B+ Positives:-the visuals were fantastic. Wish I could have seen it on IMAX- I thought the action scenes were quite good, especially the "Trench run" :) scene. Also, the music during those scenes was very good and made them even better. - All the actors did a very good job but most especially Cruise who easily carried the movie on his shoulders. Negatives:- the movie didn't truly get interesting until the Odyssy crashed back down. From that point on I was pretty engaged into what was going on.

• Like 1

The movie is really quite flawless except for one major thing.....the story didn't really capture my interest all that much. The Earth is a desert, there are no inhabitants. They all live on Saturn now. Jack is there for clean up purposes. Not much to be interested in to be honest.The last 30 minutes is excellent and the ending is terrific, that makes it a 6.5 or a 7 for me. I'll never see it again, but I'm glad I saw it once.

Well I enjoyed the suspense of trying to figure out things, including who eas wtching him. And it had some good fights on earth also. Ps. I got alittle of a jaws feel, where you couldn't figure oit or see the villains.

Do you hate all Tom Cruise Movies? And if Yes then why see his movies?

Nope. Some of his movies I love (Minority report), some I hate (War of the Worlds), some I find are decent (Oblivion), and some I find average (Jack Reacher). Tom Cruise himself though I find to be a pretty big douche and therefore I was excited to see him bash himself up ;)

Well, finally got around to seeing this. Oblivion is pretty much a giant love letter to the science fiction genre.  There are elements of Star Wars, I Am Legend, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Planet of the Apes, Blade Runner, Alien, The Matrix, Independence Day, Total Recall etc...  the list goes on and on. I could sit here all day pointing out Oblivion's visual quotes and borrowed plot devices.  But despite all of all that, Oblivion ultimately coalesces all these homages into its own story worthy of existence(I think the critics went way overboard on this with the "thinly" scripted bullshit, its not a straight up copy/paste film).  Maybe I just have a soft spot for the science fiction genre, but like I said, this familiar amount of references ultimately generates original ideas, thanks in part to the film's eye for believable humanity.  The film had good performances, especially by Tom Cruise and Andrea Riseborough. 

The drones are basically characters in of themselves realized through an interesting aesthetic.  They are mechanical balls of death with weird faces on them with a red eye that echoes the famous HAL 9000.  They're also a marvel of sound design.  The noises they make leave you never knowing whether you should be afraid or assured by their presence. 

Visually, the film is flawless. The production design, VFX, and cinematography are all without a doubt the best you'll see in a science fiction film since Prometheus.

My favorite part of the movie was probably the score.

Bottom Line - There is nothing particularly special or awe-inspiring about it, but Oblivion is a strongly acted film and a treat for scifi fans and I'll definitely watch it again when it comes on HBO.  Its light years ahead of the notoriously silly Tron Legacy.  Also, this isn't really an action movie, Oblivion is the latest film with misleading trailers and ads that can send viewers in with the wrong expectations and get bored.

B-

Edited by Shpongle
  • Like 1

Tom Cruise, an interesting storyline and great art direction made this worthwhile. Both the art direction and the villain made me wish I had Kosinski direct my Portal movie in CAYOM. :P Pacing seemed a little off; I would've cut out some of the first 40 minutes, and added more to the last twenty. The ending didn't sit well with me either. Solid C+

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 1

I just saw this and while it was nice to look at and I mean they did a really good job with that, there really wasn't much else.

Not much happened in the movie, the story or characters didn't grab me so I didn't have any investment in the movie at all.  So while nothing special, it was still an ok movie.

B-/C+