A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

"The effects are jaw-dropping, but Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt's chemistry could make Passengers the sci-fi blockbuster to beat in 2016"

I didn't realise they was even much competition in that genre (X-Men and SW don't count).

If this gets a 90% or higher on RT, 250M DOM confirmed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

"The effects are jaw-dropping, but Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt's chemistry could make Passengers the sci-fi blockbuster to beat in 2016"

I didn't realise they was even much competition in that genre (X-Men and SW don't count).

I messed up posting that link.  I just went back and fixed it.  The same article says:

Based on the extremely early first look provided at CinemaCon Tuesday night, Passengers should join Rogue One: A Star Wars Story as two of the must see films of the holiday season.

and

Pratt then attempts to punctuate the bit by dropping his microphone. Unfortunately it misses the floor and lands somewhere else.

“Ow, you dropped it on my foot!” laughs Lawrence.

And at that point, after the laughter died down slightly, it was evident to everyone in the auditorium that after Passengers everyone is going to want Lawrence and Pratt to star in another movie together. Sony’s competitors are no doubt standing by ready to write the cheque.

10 minutes ago, Belakor said:

So this is basically Titanic in space?.

Um, there is romance and a crises, and they are traveling. Other than that, I don't see the similarity. However, you aren't the first one to say that.  I just don't get it.

Edited by trifle

2 minutes ago, trifle said:

Um, there is romance and a crises, and they are traveling. Other than that, I don't see the similarity. However, you aren't the first one to say that.  I just don't get it.

Because we rarely get big budget romance that openly admits to being romance

So people will draw the comparison

(Most big blockbusters have romance subplots but they're hidden from the marketing)

• Like 1

True, it is being sold as a romance, even an 'epic space romance' but not the Nicholas Sparks kind of 'aww sweet'.  The marketing accentuates the 'hot', as I understand it. And it is a thriller where they have to try to

Spoiler

save the ship and other passengers. Jack and Rose weren't trying to keep the Titanic from going down. 

I guess I just think there are a ton of stories that are romances and the Titanic doesn't seem more like this one than a lot of others.  Other people say it is like other movies with suspended animation during transit (which are nothing like the Titanic), but that is also a plot device used in a lot of stories.  I think it combines too many elements to be really like any one of those, from what I know of it.  We'll see, I guess.

I think the titanic reference is actually right. People think that's a bad thing, but in my opinion it's a good comparison.

Space flick+2 A-list leads+romance+great vfx+good marketing+event feel+great reviews = $$$

Titanic had all of that except space part and was record breaking. I can see this movie doing 400+ million domestically. 

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I think the titanic reference is actually right. People think that's a bad thing, but in my opinion it's a good comparison.

Space flick+2 A-list leads+romance+great vfx+good marketing+event feel+great reviews = $$$

Titanic had all of that except space part and was record breaking. I can see this movie doing 400+ million domestically. 

In what universe were Kate Winslet and Leonardo Dicaprio A-listers in 1997?

Also.

1) What do you mean by "event feel"? It's not even the second-biggest movie out that week.

2) How do you know what the reviews will be like?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Leo and Kate were near the top of most promising young actors list when they were cast in Titanic (they were both Oscar nominees when they were cast, after all) but not A-listers by any means.

Yup, Titanic was the movie that made Leo an A-lister.

I basically just hope this is good and well reviewed.

It has so much I'm looking for - I love both leads, I love that it's original sci-fi, I think the synopsis sounds very intriguing... But it's all gonna come down to whether it's a good movie or not. Definitely rooting for it though.

This is the movie I'm most excited about this year, and I keep thinking it could be the surprise hit not a lot of people see coming early in the year, but I don't want to get my expectations too high.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Treetrunk Special said:

In what universe were Kate Winslet and Leonardo Dicaprio A-listers in 1997?

Also.

1) What do you mean by "event feel"? It's not even the second-biggest movie out that week.

2) How do you know what the reviews will be like?

I don't know what the reviews will be like.  All we have right now is the reactions to 3-4 minutes of footage from those who saw it at CinemaCon.  Not every good trailer has a good movie behind it.  However, Sony is apparently treating this as their top movie even though Ghostbusters had a bigger budget and has name recognition.  Those who saw it used words like "Kubrickian" and compared it to Gravity, Interstellar and the Martian.  Obviously, the return on those movies didn't rival Titanic, but from the clip I think it is supposed to have an "event feel".

It’s worth noting that while the sets are massive they’re also decidedly less stylish than you might assume. From what was shown cinematographer Rodrigo Prietro (The Wolf of Wall Street) also appears to have shot the picture in the most conservative style of his storied career. In fact, Passengers looks exactly like Sony was hoping for, a big studio event picture that could easily stand alongside The Martian as unique story powered by charismatic superstar leads.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/passengers/jennifer-lawrence-chris-pratt-cinemacon-footage/

I am trying to not get my hopes up too much because the reviews are SO good, they will be hard to live up to.

Edited by trifle

2 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

jeez, i don't want to know who the hell sees 3 minutes promo footage of a Chris Pratt romcom and compares it to Stanley Kubrick

To be fair, I think the Kubrick thing came from certain settings in the spaceship bearing some resemblance to scenes from The Shining.

Even just reading the description of Michael Sheen's lone android presence behind the bar brought to my mind scenes from that movie, so I'm not surprised it was evoked TBH.

7 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

jeez, i don't want to know who the hell sees 3 minutes promo footage of a Chris Pratt romcom and compares it to Stanley Kubrick

If you think this'll be anything like a romcom, you're gravely mistaken.

Just now, 4815162342 said:

If you think this'll be anything like a romcom, you're gravely mistaken.

in the version that I read, it was straddling the line between romance and romantic comedy.