A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

18 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Let's just say it is a blockbuster. There is no Awards thing going on here. Maybe it gets a few technic nominations, but that is it. Sony won't even try.

18 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Like I said, Dubai isn't part of the typical awards season festival circuit (Venice, Telluride, TIFF, NY, London), besides they haven't announced their film programme yet and the only thing people are basing it being shown there on is that the official social media accounts for the fest are tweeting about the film bc Tyldum/Imitation Game was at the fest.

OK, I truly don't mind.  I just wondered if we knew the slate for Dubai.  I want information!

And I wish there were some way I could isolate the top comments to this article (the article itself is generic) for Tele http://io9.gizmodo.com/chris-pratt-and-jennifer-lawrences-interstellar-journey-1786842115?rev=1474377830726&utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow  It's a complete colony of people questioning -- and answering -- and questioning the ship design.  I'm fine with it, but I enjoyed the mental excercise.

2 minutes ago, antovolk said:

For what it's worth - the trailer is designated "Trailer D" by Sony so....that says quite a bit about their marketing plans, or lack of thereof

I have nothing to say but :lol: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trifle said:

I have something to say... I think they owe us three trailers!

But at some point there is too much given away.  So maybe it is all for the best.

Oh, you can bet they do lol. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, trifle said:

OK, I truly don't mind.  I just wondered if we knew the slate for Dubai.  I want information!

And I wish there were some way I could isolate the top comments to this article (the article itself is generic) for Tele http://io9.gizmodo.com/chris-pratt-and-jennifer-lawrences-interstellar-journey-1786842115?rev=1474377830726&utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow  It's a complete colony of people questioning -- and answering -- and questioning the ship design.  I'm fine with it, but I enjoyed the mental excercise.

They're not answering, they're just trying to shoe-horn in remotely-plausible concepts to explain away the silliness. :) I agree that it doesn't look worse than any random sci-fi crazy/action thingy, where looks are all that matter. The dichotomy of the various concepts is what seems strange to me.... like if you built a 21st-century luxury speedboat and then made it use sails and wonder why it was taking so long to get from A to B.

4 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

They're not answering, they're just trying to shoe-horn in remotely-plausible concepts to explain away the silliness. :) I agree that it doesn't look worse than any random sci-fi crazy/action thingy, where looks are all that matter. The dichotomy of the various concepts is what seems strange to me.... like if you built a 21st-century luxury speedboat and then made it use sails and wonder why it was taking so long to get from A to B.

Some people have read the script. Maybe they know why? Maybe they lived a few years in the ship before going to sleep?

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

2. Ah, the derivative/generic argument is so fucking rich I can't even, in a sea of franchises & sequels, the movie that comes a bit out of nowhere is accused of being generic and derivative while people flock to movies that are nothing but derivative & more of the same and number 8 of decades old franchises.

Not sure I can spell Irony anymore.

"Originality" is such a loose concept that is truly in the eye of the beholder.

Agreed but you did literally this exact same thing in the Doctor Strange thread like two weeks ago because of folding buildings

• Like 2

People want studios to successfully sell movies without ever giving anything away, y'all want a bunch of JJ Abrams marketing campaigns

Spoiler culture has gone nuts over the past few years, basic summaries are deemed spoilery now

• Like 3

Mark my words: this will be huge! I seriously doubt it matches RO, but OS, with this, Assassin's Creed and Sing releasing so close to each other, RO will lose a huge chunk of it's audidience. SW7 had basically no major competition. Those 3 titles will easily combine for at least 1B OS.