A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I remember that name. She said that HFPA hated The H8ful Eight so much they didn't even warm up to the movie when Harvey Weinstein brought free cookies. :rofl:

Is she legit or a troll? At this point, I won't be surprised if she's right. They clearly don't know how to market this movie so something's up. 

3 hours ago, JennaJ said:

We'll know soon enough, and well before the movie opens.

As I said previously, as long as it's entertaining and fun, I'm sure I'll enjoy it for the leads' charisma if nothing else. I don't expect it to be a well reviewed movie, I just expect it to be solid entertainment.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

She's legit. She's the journalist who broke the news WB was firing Ben Affleck from Batman v Superman and looking for a replacement in the middle of production. But she's not a troll, it happens some times. She's a movie journalist as any other, and her opinion on Passengers doesn't mean the majority of the other critics will give it a negative review.

I honestly don't know what they could have done to this movie to mess it up.  The only thing from the actual movie that I have seen that I didn't like was that one 'If you die, I die' line, which I am still hoping refers to the fact that he is a mechanical engineer, and she is a writer, and on a malfunctioning spaceship, literally, if he dies, she will.

However, there are obviously elements some don't like.   It may be what I've read in a few comment sections, that some people don't like romance in their science fiction.  Or it could be something else, but if so I sure haven't seen any sign of it.  We'll find out, I guess, and I am certainly leery about what RT score it might get.  But if she saw it thinking it was going for awards beyond technical/score/photography, and was surprised by a popcorn movie, that wouldn't help.  I guess we'll get some feel when the embargo lifts if this is 'flawed' or 'controversial', but I expect to enjoy it anyhow.  It is visually gorgeous, the sets, the effects, the photography and the actors, and people have mostly liked the script. So, I don't know where the negative is coming from, at this point.

Edited by trifle

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

She's legit. She's the journalist who broke the news WB was firing Ben Affleck from Batman v Superman and looking for a replacement in the middle of production. But she's not a troll, it happens some times. She's a movie journalist as any other, and her opinion on Passengers doesn't mean the majority of the other critics will give it a negative review.

Someone who knows about her says that she bashes everything Jlaw is in since she won the Oscar and has been down on Passengers since it was announced. So take it with a grain of salt. We will know soon enough. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, straggler said:

Someone who knows about her says that she bashes everything Jlaw is in since she won the Oscar and has been down on Passengers since it was announced. So take it with a grain of salt. We will know soon enough. 

Ewww, agenda pushing journalism is the worst. Unfortunately, that's reality. There are directors that will never get a pass, and there are directors who are getting way too much pass. There are actors that are overpraised and there are actors that are underpraised no matter what. There are critics who you just know will always hate a movie made by (studio,director) or starring (actor,actress). :(

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Yeah, as much as I want to make fun of this movie and hope it fails, "if you die, I die" refers to the fact that she literally can't survive on that ship on her own. 

1fle1y.jpg

Edited by trifle
  • Like 6

Thanks trifle for finding and sharing these things - I don't even have twitter, so sometimes I feel very much out of tune with the "twitterverse".

This has me more hopeful that the film is at least good, on some basic level. I'm looking forward to seeing it either way.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

It would be ironic if this ends up fresh (not even "well reviewed", just fresh) after the way people have been assuming the worst based on the lackluster marketing. 

Then again if this movie is actually good, that would make Sony's bad marketing even more annoying. How do you fuck up such an easy pitch?

• Like 1