A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

22 hours ago, antovolk said:

That wasn't too bad at all, surprised how much I enjoyed it. It's exactly what I expected from the trailers - big glossy blockbuster date movie. Overall it's a very well crafted film, solid stuff from Tyldum, Lawrence and Pratt. For the most part (memory is sort of hazy but from my memory of it) it's that script brought to life. The highlights really were Fishburne and Sheen (who nearly stole the whole show), the production design and Thomas Newman. The fact that everything is just surface level with a lot of sci-fi tropes used is to be honest just fine with me, that's what the film strives for and it's executed well, in the end it's just fun and enjoyable. Now - and I'll put this under a SPOILER ALERT because it's not in the marketing

Hide contents

That twist or whatever you want to call it. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the reaction to it. I take it the problem with is is that 1. it's the most compelling un cliche/glossy thing the film has to offer and 2. it's only 2/3 of the way developed and could've been fully followed through with one simple change which the film actually hints at, but where the film leaves it makes this point a problem. I admit my memory of the script is hazy but if the ending is the same, why didn't people take vocal issue with it back when people were gushing all over the script?

Anyway, does not deserve that 33% RT.

7/10

The ending is slightly different but not in a way that really impacts that.

Spoiler

In the screenplay everyone in pods died, were sucked out as Aurora and Jim tried to wake them up, because at that point it is the only way to try to save them.  There was no autodoc choice that I recall, but maybe I forgot that.  But their descendants with those who were born of the farmed eggs and sperm from passengers and crew members that had been collected before the trip and frozen make it to Homestead II in a sort of epilogue.

6 hours ago, Claudio said:

Just came back from my 7 PM showing here ( about 75% full ) and guess what?!! I totally love it !!! The chemistry between Pratt and Lawrence works for me especially at the end of the movie . the humor even if it's not too funny but enough make me laugh a little bit. The audience at my screening seems to enjoy it too.

I don't know why I love it... Maybe because I had a low expectations before I saw it given that low RT score and bad reviews out there! But I think critics is wrong with this one! I don't think it deserves that 30% RT! But the most important thing from a movie is the audiences and if they enjoy it then no matter how bad the reviews out there , they won't have any affect.

Keep it going Pratt and J-Law!!! emoji86.pngemoji86.pngemoji86.pngemoji8.pngemoji8.pngemoji8.png

I loved it too, and expected the usual popcorn flick level tropes, as many other good movies this year also had. But the critics have definitely hurt it at least domestically. It was tracking much better before the embargo lifted.  I am hoping it will have a second wind after Christmas when people are looking for 'another' movie to see, but the RT gang up definitely prevented it from taking off out of the box -- to the extent there was oxygen left from Rogue One, that is.

I am interested to find out its numbers overseas, though.

On a brighter note!

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Interesting article...

(Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled...)

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/passengerss-plot-twist-consent

Passengers' Plot Twist Has a Major Issue with

Reveal hidden contents

: A sci-fi movie has real-world implications.

Oh my goodness, it is just a movie. This is the problem with my generation. What does this line even have to do with anything: "a romantic blockbuster starring two straight cisgender white actors is probably low on the totem pole of films to expect anything out of."

So the movie should have low expectations because one character isn't black and gay and the other tri-racial and with one hand? And what's the point of even putting cisgender in that sentence?

I went ahead and read Passengers plot online (before I read this article) and 

Spoiler

that's definitely an interesting twist. I honestly would've preferred if they decided to go that angle for the whole film and Jen be the one trying to escape the ship while Pratt tries to make her stay like a quasi psycho. That would've been a thriller. That article is making an issue just to make one.

Let me guess, Passengers is now enabling guys to forgo consent as long as they can hide the truth. Well yes, according to this line: "We can't tolerate this kind of narrative anymore, one that is so heavily indicative of seriously abusive relationship dynamics."

Good grief. Okay man, whatever. We have to turn everything political now. I'm a straight black male and I think it's ridiculous that this movie is seen as a problem for having two white actors of the opposite sex. Gravity was the same thing and we had no complaints. Why is it different now with JLaw and Pratt?

Articles like this is part of the reason Trump won. Many people have grown sick of this faux justice narrative. Just watch the movie and enjoy yourself. Quit trying to pick apart all its political follies.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 4

I think the premise would have been better if it was a group of people prematurely woken up. The group dynamic would allow for various character arcs showing different reactions to the early wakeup (depression, isolation, acceptance, stir-crazy, etc) as well as having group conflicts put the ship in jeopardy and also be an obstacle to overcome to work to saving the ship.

Of course chances are such a direction would probably have led to the inevitable Hollywood trope of "one guy goes totally insane and decides to murder everyone else because movie logic"

• Like 2

I saw it. Pretty solid movie. It was interesting. Maybe a tad underwritten. It tended to show as opposed to tell. Sort of had an arthouse sensibility. But it had some really good high points. Lawrence was excellent, but the film could have used more backstory to flesh out the characters. The ending was fine. It just needed a little more exposition; it left this to the audience. I see why the critics were triggered, but it is overblown. Either the script or the editing did not quite fill in the blanks regarding the course of their relationship. But all in all definitely worth seeing. It effected me more intellectually than emotionally, but that is how I watch movies. Should have had a 60s-70s RT score. Certainly not in the low 30s. 

• Like 5

I think part of the issue here is some people go in expecting an arthouse movie and it is more a popcorn film with an interesting idea to float.

Those who go just looking for entertainment seem to come out having been entertained.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Absolutely nobody goes into a 160-million-dollar sci-fi film starring Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence (released in the lucrative holiday season to boot) expecting an arthouse film.

$110M, and some people talk as if they were.  Merry Christmas Eve, Cochofles!

29 minutes ago, trifle said:

Some people talk as if they were.

Not really.

People have expressed their dislike for a particularly unsavory aspect of the plot, the pedestrian direction, and a toothless script.

How Jlaw fans interpret that as "I was expecting an arthouse film" is beyond me.

Edited by Cochofles

7 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

I think the premise would have been better if it was a group of people prematurely woken up. The group dynamic would allow for various character arcs showing different reactions to the early wakeup (depression, isolation, acceptance, stir-crazy, etc) as well as having group conflicts put the ship in jeopardy and also be an obstacle to overcome to work to saving the ship.

Of course chances are such a direction would probably have led to the inevitable Hollywood trope of "one guy goes totally insane and decides to murder everyone else because movie logic"

You just described Event Horizon and Sunshine. Everything turns into a "serial killer in space movie" like Jason X.

• Like 1

The script is utter garbage, and that's ignoring the plot point that's led to so many pans, which is being inflated and has a very minor part to do with how bad this movie is.  Just on a basic level of dialogue and character and narrative development, the script is an utter fail.  The ending is beyond laughable.  That anyone thinks this was an okay, much less a great script, is mind-boggling.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jeriosnal said:

The script is utter garbage, and that's ignoring the plot point that's led to so many pans, which is being inflated and has a very minor part to do with how bad this movie is.  Just on a basic level of dialogue and character and narrative development, the script is an utter fail.  The ending is beyond laughable.  That anyone thinks this was an okay, much less a great script, is mind-boggling.  

You might want to check out that blood pressure soon.

• Like 2