A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

14 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

"I have to tell you something...there's a reason we woke up early."

Last line of the trailer. Of course they were pitching that "edge" to audiences. 

They were always selling the "mystery of why they woke up" angle ("there's something they didn't tell us"). I doubt most people heard that line and thought "I bet there's something really edgy about this romance". If they really wanted to use the premise to draw people in, I think they would have gone further than that.

Either way, I think there's more to this movie than pretty people on a pretty spaceship, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Edited by amelin
  • Like 1

The mystery as to why they woke up early was definitely one of the elements of the trailer that got me really excited for the movie. Having said that I didn't feel like I was duped or I didn't feel disappointed because of what actually happened. I really enjoyed the story and I really liked the characters and I like the script and I love the design of the ship and special effects in the visual effects and when you add all that up it becomes a fantastic movie and a terrific movie-going experience

• Like 5

Passengers will likely get to 100m with the largest day being < 8m. December eh?

Wolf of Wall Street's largest day was the OD with 9m. Apart from that it had no day above 7m! So Passengers has more 7m+ days than Wolf of Wall Street.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=wolfofwallstreet.htm

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

When I read about that twist for the first time I knew it would generate a lot of controversial, but I expected that an Oscar nominee director like Tyldum would be smart enough to build the movie in the right way to give credibility to that twist, it seems that he did the opposite.

Well, at least it is generating a lot of discussion, which could translate to good legs thanks to the curiosity. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, La La Panda said:

Sharknado only has 17 reviews, it's also so shamelessly bad that it's pretty entertaining.

yeah, some 30+% of the audience rated it as entertaining.

7 hours ago, UTJeff said:

False equivalence.

Disagree.  The point, on my part at least, is that RT score =/= attractiveness to audiences.  The point is not just the RT score, but the RT score relative to the audience score.

I don't consider it a 'deep analysis' of the issue, but it is a data point.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I still can't understand why they got someone like Andy Garcia and not a random actor for such a nothing part in which he had no lines. Did all of his screentime get cut for running time reasons?

Stuff was in fact cut.  I don't know that that was part of it.  But there are bits and pieces in promo and released material that aren't in the film. I think he was added nearer the end, actually, from what I read along the way of casting. Maybe they wanted a known face to substitute for character development, and maybe he was paid well for a short obligation.  They did change the end. Maybe one of the options they were considering would have given him a bigger role, but the original screenplay wouldn't have done so.

4 hours ago, a2knet said:

Passengers will likely get to 100m with the largest day being < 8m. December eh?

Wolf of Wall Street's largest day was the OD with 9m. Apart from that it had no day above 7m! So Passengers has more 7m+ days than Wolf of Wall Street.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=wolfofwallstreet.htm

Wolf of Wall Street though despite the OD cinemascore (which was bullshit) had really great legs. It never expanded beyond 2500 theatres and had its first 40% drop in the 11th weekend when it droped to less than 500 theatres.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joel M said:

Wolf of Wall Street though despite the OD cinemascore (which was bullshit) had really great legs. It never expanded beyond 2500 theatres and had its first 40% drop in the 11th weekend when it droped to less than 500 theatres.

To be fair, it also had Oscar nominations to propel it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, it also had Oscar nominations to propel it.

Yeah and it also had the controversy buzz which I think helped more than its oscar nominations. All I'm saying is that it will be difficult for Passengers to follow WOWS legs even with good WOM.

i couldn't see this last night so I have been looking around at the theaters near me and I better find a way soon to see it as a couple theaters have already dropped a few showings.  One of the theaters only has one 2D showing all day for this week.  That's partially why I haven't been able to view this since I only have one shot a day.  Hopefully tonight though

Just now, trifle said:

Stuff was in fact cut.  I don't know that that was part of it.  But there are bits and pieces in promo and released material that aren't in the film. I think he was added nearer the end, actually, from what I read along the way of casting. Maybe they wanted a known face to substitute for character development, and maybe he was paid well for a short obligation.  They did change the end. Maybe one of the options they were considering would have given him a bigger role, but the original screenplay wouldn't have done so.

In my view what they should have done is...

Spoiler

Perhaps show them in that theater like room with the big window at very old age, don't know what the life expectancy would be at the time, but advance medical technology should make them live little bit longer, of course their reaction of 90 years on the ship is too damn long and believe they will die so probably 100 years or slightly more.  But I would like to see them in old age and together.  Or have their children and grandchildren greeting those who are awaken with surprise besides just the change of the scenery of the ship.  I mean come on they had lots of sex, got to have children at least.  That is something I would have included if I was writing the script.  That would have added maybe 2 minutes or so in the movie and better closure.  But thats just me.

Edited by Klingo
  • Like 2

@trifle It looks like they shot

Spoiler

the photo booth scene from the original script :ph34r:

Edited by amelin
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Klingo said:

In my view what they should have done is...

Hide contents

Perhaps show them in that theater like room with the big window at very old age, don't know what the life expectancy would be at the time, but advance medical technology should make them live little bit longer, of course their reaction of 90 years on the ship is too damn long and believe they will die so probably 100 years or slightly more.  But I would like to see them in old age and together.  Or have their children and grandchildren greeting those who are awaken with surprise besides just the change of the scenery of the ship.  I mean come on they had lots of sex, got to have children at least.  That is something I would have included if I was writing the script.  That would have added maybe 2 minutes or so in the movie and better closure.  But thats just me.

In the original script

Spoiler

all the pods were ejected into space in a malfunction so everyone but Aurora (because she wasn't in her pod) and Jim died.  But there were genetic banks of farmed eggs and sperms from all passengers.  The epilogue shows a picture of them, Aurora's book, the tall tree, etc, and their descendants reaching Homestead II.  Also, this picture was in at one point but wasn't in the movie.  Clearly they are older:

7 minutes ago, amelin said:

@trifle It looks like they shot

Spoiler

the photo booth scene

Spoiler

from the original script

:ph34r:

yeah, I'd put that in spoilers, though. I'm working under the idea of what is in or out being a spoiler, anyhow.

14 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Final predicts:

DOM: 68M

WW: 174M

box office mojo has it at $40.6 M through yesterday (7 day plus preview total) and predictions are for $22Mish this four day weekend. And then there is what it will make today (it made $4.6M yesterday). That will still not quite be the end of its second week.

Edited by trifle