A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

16 hours ago, straggler said:
Spoiler

You may be right. But there is no indication her mother is dead. Or that she does not have other family. And we literally see her friends saying goodbye and her best friend begging her to stay. There is a theme of aloneness in the movie. But there is also a theme of selfishness. 

People can respond. I think that would have been a very interesting idea that could have tied things up better in the third act. As it stands people are complaining about the third act because it seemed rushed. But really how you tie things up in a romantic direction was going to be a struggle. I just think it would have worked better if the film recognized that there was a certain selfishness to Aurora, and that her final choice rejected this aspect of her life. You could have even had flashbacks or dream visions about abandonment. Would have been pretty dark, admittedly. 

I guess 1) I think things not in promotion should be in spoiler tags and 2

Spoiler

that leaving to live her life is her own decision.  That she doesn't feel enough loss of relationships to keep her there shows those relationships clearly aren't reason enough for her to stay, which is sad, but I don't see 'selfishness' in that that needs to be atoned for.  What about all the people Jim and the other 5000 people left? They have no friends and/or family?

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, trifle said:

I guess 1) I think things not in promotion should be in spoiler tags and 2

Hide contents

that leaving to live her life is her own decision.  That she doesn't feel enough loss of relationships to keep her there shows those relationships clearly aren't reason enough for her to stay, which is sad, but I don't see 'selfishness' in that that needs to be atoned for.  What about all the people Jim and the other 5000 people left? They have no friends and/or family?

They may. But we never meet them. 

Just a way of fleshing out the character to make her final choice part of a larger theme. Although the theme of no loneliness was another way to go. The oddity of the movie is that it seemed to intentionally underwrite this, so that the audience has to piece it together itself. I appreciated that and liked the movie, but that is unusal for a popcorn movie.  

Edited by straggler

4 hours ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

This was the worst movie I've seen this year (admittedly there's probably plenty of worse ones I didn't bother to see). Just a terrible misfire on every level. 

EDIT: Forgot about her other scenes. lol ignore this

Edited by Noctis

5 hours ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

This was the worst movie I've seen this year (admittedly there's probably plenty of worse ones I didn't bother to see). Just a terrible misfire on every level. 

Going for that killshot.

8 hours ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I'd argue that the first two acts were pretty good...you can tear at the final act though, I wouldn't give a shit :ph34r:.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JB33 said:

You guys are all doing a helluva job marketing this movie. I haven't actually read any of the spoiler tags but the clear debate going on is making me want to go see this and join the discussion.

Do it! It's a lot of fun mulling it over.

I'll admit I've been hoping the controversy would help give it some pretty nice legs ^_^

• Like 1

Whew.... finally saw it today and can open all those pesky spoiler tags.

I.... really enjoyed it? I mean I get the rushed ending complaints, but damn if I wasn't engaged and into the characters and story by that point. I see the problems with the ending, but it was hardly enough to ruin the movie for me. As for the twist (if that's what you call it), I thought it was the most interesting thing about this movie and a great moral dilemma to raise to the audience. I don't really get a lot of the complaints about how it was handled, except for the one about

Spoiler

how her choice to stay with him when she could have chosen to go back into hibernation was not well-earned and thus felt abrupt and not convincing.

Still, their chemistry totally won my over so I was easy to please by that point. I really did think they were incrediblly charming and engaging together and apart. They sold me on the plot even when the script short-changed them. I guess I just went into this movie willing to give it a chance, and I wasn't disappointed.

I totally think reviews will dissuade many peopole who would have enjoyed it from going, and that's a shame. I'm very happy I went anyway.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 5

Probably the best review I have read andf one of the better film reviews I've seen in a while, although a lot of spoilers. But it does reinforce the idea that there were some very profound ideas involved in this movie, and also the way these ideas are somewhat latent in the story which the film left to the audience to unpack:

https://fogonpleasanthill.wordpress.com/2016/12/31/passengers-and-hope/ 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, straggler said:

Probably the best review I have read andf one of the better film reviews I've seen in a while, although a lot of spoilers. But it does reinforce the idea that there were some very profound ideas involved in this movie, and also the way these ideas are somewhat latent in the story which the film left to the audience to unpack:

I just posted this review in the review thread and I was this close to tagging you in it cause I thought you'd like it :lol:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Just read the plot on wikipedia. I know that's not a good way to get a sense of a movie, but man, the first half sounds so much better than the second. I can see why people are facepalming over the ending.

This movie deserved a better director

11 hours ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

5 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Going for that killshot.

5 hours ago, straggler said:

It is actually an endorsement. The movie elicited a strong response. 

4 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

:WHATanabe:

In the review thread Tele said he'd found this year's Jurassic World.  Some wouldn't take that as an insult.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, straggler said:

there were actually a number of good reviews.  It seems to be doing ok overseas too, although that is hard to get a handle on because a lot of places won't report until later this week, and a number of big markets either are just opening or won't open until Thursday or later.  For China, it is later.