A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

1 minute ago, angeldelmito said:

What? So they had screenings before the score was even in? Ew. Imagine watching a movie without the score, especially a sci-fi movie.

Happens for almost every movie. They'll have screened it with the temp score (music from other movies).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

So this is opening on the same day as Assassins's Creed & Sing ?

Crowded Wednesday.

:wacko::unsure:

Yeah, it's a weird day to pick,  for all three of them.  I have to assume it has to do with Saturday being Christmas eve and Sunday being Christmas, but how are they going to count the 'weekend'? On Thanksgiving they start Wednesday, are they going to have a 5 day weekend?  With three movies opening at the same time, I guess that must be what they are planning.

19 minutes ago, trifle said:

Yeah, it's a weird day to pick,  for all three of them.  I have to assume it has to do with Saturday being Christmas eve and Sunday being Christmas, but how are they going to count the 'weekend'? On Thanksgiving they start Wednesday, are they going to have a 5 day weekend?  With three movies opening at the same time, I guess that must be what they are planning.

The same thing basically happened in 2011, the last year where Christmas was on a Sunday. All the high-profile stuff got released on Wednesday, I'm guessing to get a leg up on before Christmas.

They also counted the weekend in 2011 as a four-day (December 23-26), which I guess has to do with the fact that the day after Christmas is pretty big for box office as well.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Alpha said:

The same thing basically happened in 2011, the last year where Christmas was on a Sunday. All the high-profile stuff got released on Wednesday, I'm guessing to get a leg up on before Christmas.

They also counted the weekend in 2011 as a four-day (December 23-26), which I guess has to do with the fact that the day after Christmas is pretty big for box office as well.

That's the main reason. Christmas falling on Sunday has been a low movie going day. So they release it on Wednesday to get some more weekday business. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, trifle said:

Well, the trailer views seem good, to my limited experience.  the official youtube trailer, the official facebook trailer and the trailer on Jen's face book add up to over 43.4 million views, thus far.

keep in mind that Facebook views are inflated because of the way Facebook works, so not all those views are people actually watching the trailer.

Just now, trifle said:

How does that work? 

If I did a like to Jennifer Lawrence's page at any point than when she put the video up it will show up in my timeline so that when I go into my timeline this video will show up automatically and start playing and thus count as a view, even if I never actually paid any attention and just scrolled by as it was playing. In fact, you don't have to actually like Jennifer's page yourself if a friend of your's shared the video, or even because Facebook sees that other friends of yours liked Jennifer's page so it will suggest it to you as well by showing you the last thing she posted (the trailer). Having said that, not all the people in the above categories will be shown the video, as Facebook has complicated algorithms to decide what to show you, and if you scroll through fast enough then it won't count as a view. But it's still very different to YouTube where you have to actively press play on the trailer video in order to count as a view.

24 minutes ago, Tower said:

If I did a like to Jennifer Lawrence's page at any point than when she put the video up it will show up in my timeline so that when I go into my timeline this video will show up automatically and start playing and thus count as a view, even if I never actually paid any attention and just scrolled by as it was playing. In fact, you don't have to actually like Jennifer's page yourself if a friend of your's shared the video, or even because Facebook sees that other friends of yours liked Jennifer's page so it will suggest it to you as well by showing you the last thing she posted (the trailer). Having said that, not all the people in the above categories will be shown the video, as Facebook has complicated algorithms to decide what to show you, and if you scroll through fast enough then it won't count as a view. But it's still very different to YouTube where you have to actively press play on the trailer video in order to count as a view.

Well, actually I know that isn't precisely true because I liked Jen's page some time ago and her putting the trailer on her facebook didn't make it show up on my timeline.  Maybe when people share things it works that way, I don't know.  But I do actually know that liking her facebook didn't put it on my timeline, or even give me a 'notification'. 

Besides the views on her facebook as opposed to the others grew faster initially but by the time all the media was passing it around, the views on her page essentially stopped.  And her total views were 6.4 M while she has over 16M likes on her facebook. 

There may be an artificial multiplier in facebook, I don't know how it works, but I don't think your explanation is precisely accurate, from my experience.

Edited by trifle

Regardless of whether Facebook viewes are accurate or not, they are comparable with other movies that post their trailer on Facebook.

Since it's done by everyone and is used in tallying every trailer view count, I don't think it makes much difference either way.

I think one of the best way to use trailer views is to compare the level of interest between trailers. Sometimes the first trailer of a movie has a truly big number of views but the second trailer has a much smaller amount of views if they were to be compared in the same time frame and that might mean people aren't interested in the film anymore after watching the first trailer. That's a problem here though cause I'm not sure Passengers even gets a second trailer outside some tv spots nearer the release date.

3 hours ago, Alli said:

Trailer views are kinda irrelevant, especially for fanboy movies.  Look at Edge of Tomorrow. It posted huge numbers, but the movie flopped with 28M OW.  https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=CAM%3D&q=edge+of+tomorrow+trailer

Edge of Tomorrow wasn't a fanboy movie. A fanboy movie has a built-in audience. I doubt many people read the source material for that.

9 hours ago, trifle said:

Well, actually I know that isn't precisely true because I liked Jen's page some time ago and her putting the trailer on her facebook didn't make it show up on my timeline.  Maybe when people share things it works that way, I don't know.  But I do actually know that liking her facebook didn't put it on my timeline, or even give me a 'notification'. 

Besides the views on her facebook as opposed to the others grew faster initially but by the time all the media was passing it around, the views on her page essentially stopped.  And her total views were 6.4 M while she has over 16M likes on her facebook. 

There may be an artificial multiplier in facebook, I don't know how it works, but I don't think your explanation is precisely accurate, from my experience.

I know that, which is why I wrote " Having said that, not all the people in the above categories will be shown the video, as Facebook has complicated algorithms to decide what to show you".