A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

48 minutes ago, straggler said:

The reviews are very frustrating. They are fixing on the moral set up, which I don't think they are appreciating properly (think a lifeboat scenario) and throwing the baby out with the bathwater. 

There are just as many reviews saying that this film has no idea what it wants to be. If it was just a "moral" issue, critics would look past it somewhat like they have in the past because hey it's a film. Sure they would talk about it but they wouldn't be like "moral issue...automatically give it a 2/5 stars." But it's getting downright awful reviews because it's more than that. From what im getting outside of this moral issue is that the movie has no direction. That's all I need to know to understand WHY this film is getting crapped on by critics. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nova said:

There are just as many reviews saying that this film has no idea what it wants to be. If it was just a "moral" issue, critics would look past it somewhat like they have in the past because hey it's a film. Sure they would talk about it but they wouldn't be like "moral issue...automatically give it a 2/5 stars." But it's getting downright awful reviews because it's more than that. From what im getting outside of this moral issue is that the movie has no direction. That's all I need to know to understand WHY this film is getting crapped on by critics. 

Well I will watch it in a couple of days and see for myself. But some of the review videos I have watched just cannot get past it, and even the claim that it has no direction comes back to wanting the moral issue resolved more heavyhandedly. But we will see. 

• Like 1

Many of the reviews I have read speak of underdeveloped characters, soggy romantic sparks, and uninspired, halfhearted direction.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

I don't think Pratt's getting paid much more for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 because he's making the movie as part of a multi-movie deal he signed with Marvel years ago most likely for a relatively cheap price. JLaw didn't get paid much more for the latter two X-Men movies she was in because they were part of a three-movie deal she signed when she agreed to make First Class and those came after The Hunger Games/Silver Linings Playbook/her Oscar glory.

They usually renegotiate the salary after the 1st film in the franchise. If the film is successful the actor gets more for the next.

Example: JLaw in the Hunger Games

500k -> 10M -> 15M+15M

Just now, misafeco said:

They usually renegotiate the salary after the 1st film in the franchise. If the film is successful the actor gets more for the next.

Example: JLaw in the Hunger Games

500k -> 10M -> 15M+15M

:worthy: that was right after Jen's Oscar win too, right? with that and the $400M score card from the first movie, she was on fiyah

1 minute ago, yjs said:

:worthy: that was right after Jen's Oscar win too, right? with that and the $400M score card from the first movie, she was on fiyah

No. The 10M paycheck for Catching Fire was a direct result of the first HG's success. Oscar win was after the filming.

• Like 1

http://theweek.com/articles/646142/what-movie-biggest-flop-2016

"[Passengers] is the kind of film everyone is always clamoring for the industry to make, so if it fails, we only have ourselves, or director Morten Tyldum (The Imitation Game) and writer Jon Spaihts (Prometheus), to blame. While Joy may have established a new floor for JLaw, expect Passengers to come in well above it, particularly if it can play in awards season.**"

**LOL!

Passengers is exactly the kind of film failure that the Golden Raspberries live for: big, fat, expensive turd starring big movie stars. Based on the Razzies' history, I fully expect Passengers to get Razzie nods for Worst Movie, Worst Actor, Worst Actress, Worst Director, Worst Screen Combo, and Worst Screenplay. I would not be surprised if they even threw a Worst Supporting Actor nod at Sheen just for shits and giggles.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

That's shocking coming from movie critics in the online attention seeking age. WOW. 

You know that Futurist only says that because he is a fan of Jlaw's... ;) 

...just like I will say that it's a critics' conspiracy against the DCEU if Wonder Woman gets bad reviews. :huh:

• Like 1