A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

I just want to say that no actor is a universal draw. Some people are bigger draws than others but it's quite subjective. You don't know how many people went to see a movie because of an actor in it unless you make a survey about it. And of course there are more factors, trailers, marketing, director, reviews, etc. Very few people go to watch a movie only because of an actor.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Joel M said:

^

Yeah she is. Before that she had 4 non-franchise big hits with her name front and centre. That movie got essentially dumped but it doesn't absolute Bullock. It's her flop. No one disputes that. What I don't get is how Joy not making back its budget or the possibility Passengers not making back its budget doesn't count as a flop because without JLaw they would gross even less. 

It was just an example. You don't stop being a draw because of some flops under your name if you were successful before it. If you have a dozen flops like Johhny Depp that's another thing.

Edited by misafeco

29 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Our Brand Is Crisis (2015)

Domestic Total Gross: $7,002,261
Distributor: Warner Bros. Release Date: October 30, 2015
Genre: Comedy / Drama Runtime: 1 hrs. 48 min.
MPAA Rating: R Production Budget: $28 million

Yeah, Sandra Bullock is a big draw.

That doesn't mean shit. 

Just because Dying Young flopped doesn't mean Julia Roberts wasnt a huge draw in the early '90s. 

Just because Legend and Far & Away flopped doesn't mean Tom Cruise wasn't a huge draw in the '80s and '90s. 

Just because That Thing You Do flopped doesn't mean Tom Hanks wasn't the biggest draw of the '90s. 

Just because The Mosquito Coast, Frantic and Regarding Henry flopped doesn't mean Harrison Ford wasn't a huge draw in the '80s and '90s. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, La Binoche said:

That doesn't mean shit. 

Just because Dying Young flopped doesn't mean Julia Roberts wasnt a huge draw in the early '90s. 

Just because Legend and Far & Away flopped doesn't mean Tom Cruise wasn't a huge draw in the '80s and '90s. 

Just because That Thing You Do flopped doesn't mean Tom Hanks wasn't the biggest draw of the '90s. 

Just because The Mosquito Coast, Frantic and Regarding Henry flopped doesn't mean Harrison Ford wasn't a huge draw in the '80s and '90s. 

That's my point too.

• Like 1

A lot of big stars who are typically draws have been in flops.  It happens.

You can't tell me Robert Downey Jr. didn't become a big draw after Iron Man.  He had Sherlock Holmes, Tropic Thunder, Due Date, Sherlock Holmes 2, all of which were big hits and did considerably well.  Eventually he did The Judge which flopped.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, UTJeff said:

A lot of big stars who are typically draws have been in flops.  It happens.

You can't tell me Robert Downey Jr. didn't become a big draw after Iron Man.  He had Sherlock Holmes, Tropic Thunder, Due Date, Sherlock Holmes 2, all of which were big hits and did considerably well.  Eventually he did The Judge which flopped.

To be fair, RDJ had the ultimate comeback after his hot mess period in the 90s.

Wait, so the premise that...

Pratt's character purposely awakens Jlaw's and hides that fact from her, in order to seduce her and thus not be alone

...Is still on? Because they are totally hiding that in the trailers (at least the ones we're getting in Spain). I can see angry reactions from people expecting a lovey-dovey space rom-com, because that's pretty creepy (and potentially far more interesting than a lovey-dovey space rom-com, if done right).

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Cochofles said:

I'd argue that Melissa McCarthy is a bigger draw than Jlaw. She has not had a YA mega-franchise or a superhero universe to make people believe that she is a draw, and even her critically hated turds open to decent numbers.

And sorry, Emma Stone? Nope. She has zero box office clout.

I wouldn't disagree actually. Didn't think of her.

Jlaw hasn't really chosen films to fully milk her star power though, has she? I mean Joy, American Hustle, Silver Linings... theyre all oscar bait with limited appeal compared to ghostbusters, the heat, lucy...

And those films are marketed differently at certain audiences. I can guarantee if melissa mccarthy fronted a serious biopic it'd flounder as much as any other.

Jlaw could carry an action, rom com

or thriller if she wanted. I think people are doing her a disservice. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vogue said:

I wouldn't disagree actually. Didn't think of her.

Jlaw hasn't really chosen films to fully milk her star power though, has she? I mean Joy, American Hustle, Silver Linings... theyre all oscar bait with limited appeal compared to ghostbusters, the heat, lucy...

And those films are marketed differently at certain audiences. I can guarantee if melissa mccarthy fronted a serious biopic it'd flounder as much as any other.

Jlaw could carry an action, rom com

or thriller if she wanted. I think people are doing her a disservice. 

Those movies still made $150M and $132M respectively, even though you could only give her any major credit for the latter (American Hustle was sold as a true ensemble).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Joy really flopped because of the budget(60m) and no Oscar buzz. American Hustle(40m) and Silver Linings playbook(21m) were Oscar favorites. 

All things considered I don't know which actress could have starred in it and made more than the 56m domestic total that it brought in against TFA. Maybe Sandra Bullock, but certainly not any of young actresses within Lawrence age group. Scarjo seems to be a draw only in action movies and Stone in comedies. So to say that Lawrence has no drawing power is simply untrue. Usually it's the star+ concept that sells movies these days, not just stars alone. 

Edited by babz06

Star power is misunderstood around here. It is not magical pixie dust.

Have to say these reviews are the best. It is just amazing that they did not anticipate the issue. Either you dump that part of the script altogether or you go in a much darker direction. Instead they treated it like the set up for a rom com. There has to be some analogy in movies. Maybe the standard teen films of the cool guy making a bet to go out with the school nerd, only to fall in love. But even that one has a redeemable message. It is harder to create a love story out of an act of delayed murder.

Should be very interesting. But what would Kubrick have done with this? Or even the Twilight Zone?    

1 minute ago, straggler said:

Have to say these reviews are the best. It is just amazing that they did not anticipate the issue. Either you dump that part of the script altogether or you go in a much darker direction. Instead they treated it like the set up for a rom com. There has to be some analogy in movies. Maybe the standard teen films of the cool guy making a bet to go out with the school nerd, only to fall in love. But even that one has a redeemable message. It is harder to create a love story out of an act of delayed murder.

Should be very interesting. But what would Kubrick have done with this? Or even the Twilight Zone?    

When I read the script years ago I didn't anticipate the issue either. I thought it made for a more interesting, morally ambiguous (and as much as we'd like to deny it, relatable) protagonist. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Celedhring said:

Wait, so the premise that...

Hide contents

Pratt's character purposely awakens Jlaw's and hides that fact from her, in order to seduce her and thus not be alone

...Is still on? Because they are totally hiding that in the trailers (at least the ones we're getting in Spain). I can see angry reactions from people expecting a lovey-dovey space rom-com, because that's pretty creepy (and potentially far more interesting than a lovey-dovey space rom-com, if done right).

Yep.

It's on, and, understandably, they are hiding this from the marketing.

Even more than the first weekend, I am anticipating weekend 2, on which the sure-to-be-toxic wom (particularly among women) will spread and manifest.

Even with the holiday buffer, I expect a substantial drop.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, straggler said:

Have to say these reviews are the best. It is just amazing that they did not anticipate the issue. Either you dump that part of the script altogether or you go in a much darker direction. Instead they treated it like the set up for a rom com. There has to be some analogy in movies. Maybe the standard teen films of the cool guy making a bet to go out with the school nerd, only to fall in love. But even that one has a redeemable message.

Spoiler

It is harder to create a love story out of an act of delayed murder.

Watch out for spoilerish lines. 

TOMATOMETER 

31%

WANT TO SEE 

8 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Yep.

It's on, and, understandably, they are hiding this from the marketing.

Even more than the first weekend, I am anticipating weekend 2, on which the sure-to-be-toxic wom (particularly among women) will spread and manifest.

Even with the holiday buffer, I expect a substantial drop.

It seems monumentally stupid to spend 100 million bucks producing a script, when you feel you have to hide the basic premise of it. Oh Sony, you never stop amazing me.

• Like 1