A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

Just now, babz06 said:

The studio is expecting Martian/Gravity/interstellar type numbers. Anything less than that is gonna be seen as underwhleming. 

Problem is the major monster which is called Star Wars.  Martian, Gravity, and Interstellar didn't have to face that.  And I'm not going to mention Space Between Us.  At least it gets public awareness about space exploration and travel.  I feel like I was born too early.  Should have been born a thousand years later.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lab276 said:

Once a year isn't rare?

It's jumping on the yearly tentpole space movie trend. Dont forget wolf of wall street, revenant and others. I dont get acting like this if the first movie with a big budget to not be a franchise film when tentpole space movies with big stars are made every year to big success. 

• Like 1

Gravity had revolutionary technology & VFX and required 4 years to be made.

Interstellar was made by the most powerful auteur in Hollywood of our time.

The Martian was an adaptation of a beloved book Directed by one of the most powerful Hollywood veteran.

Passengers has none of these factors.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The Martian was an adaptation of a beloved book Directed by one of the most powerful Hollywood veteran.

It has two of the most popular Hollywood starts of the moment.

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Lmao what. You are really trying to make this more special than it is. Those were all original movies with big budgets sold on its big name stars. Gravity was sold as "sandra bullock stuck in space." The Martian was sold with " Matt damon stuck in space" this movie is being sold as "Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt stuck in space." Its following a space trend. I should give it props for not having revolutionary special effects lol? 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Tech Oscars are different. They go to blockbuster/non-baity films all the time.

MMFR was pretty much in a slightly weaker Gravity position last year, it was nominated for 10 Oscars, including BP and BD, its widely recognized as in the top tier (along with Spotlight, The Revenant and The big short), some argued that it could have placed in the top 3 or just behind Spotlight. So its Oscar success is really more than just tech Oscar recognition, the fact it won 6 tech awards against The Revenant, The Martian, and TFA is already pretty telling. 

1 minute ago, IndyRex said:

It has two of the most popular Hollywood starts of the moment.

That's the point, if it has no unusual bad factor, this will be seen as a test of star power by many.  That is what started that conversation.

@CJohn or someone, the trailer is on page 70 not 71, could you change the title, please?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trifle said:

OK.  I guess you are right.  If it doesn't make that -- and doesn't have some other obvious flaw we don't see in the trailers, I would agree.

But I'm also confident it will pass that.

Unless World War III breaks out or something, it'll absolutely pass that.

7 minutes ago, ban1o said:

Lmao what. You are really trying to make this more special than it is. Those were all original movies with big budgets sold on its big name stars. Gravity was sold as "sandra bullock stuck in space." The Martian was sold with " Matt damon stuck in space" this movie is being sold as "Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt stuck in space." Its following a space trend. I should give it props for not having revolutionary special effects lol? 

And Interstellar was 'Nolan makes a shitty movie.'

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

OMG, is the trailer really here?? Didn't think I would live to see it (the Shay has been feeling like an old and sick horse lately).

Why doesn't it say so IN A BIG FONT in the thread title?

Going to see it now... :)

Are you rooting for this for real, Shay ?

:):thinking:

45 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Well, we don't really know, do we? The Martian wasn't considered a surefire awards contender, outside Matt Damon, but it ended up being great and well-reviewed, so it was. Gravity ended up with rave reviews, and likewise became an awards contender. Passengers is directed by Morten Tyldum, who directed The Imitation Game a couple years ago (which was nominated for a slew of big Oscars), and stars Jennifer Lawrence, a critical darling. So, yeah, we don't really know - if it ends up with raves from critics, then there could be another space movie at the Oscars. 

Peace,

Mike

The thing about Martian is their big FYC campaign - all the showings at festivals, FYC ads, lunches for AMPAS members, obviously Ridley Scott....stuff which Passengers won't have. 

That film's awards success is a big example of the importance of campaigning.

4 minutes ago, antovolk said:

The thing about Martian is their big FYC campaign - all the showings at festivals, FYC ads, lunches for AMPAS members, obviously Ridley Scott....stuff which Passengers won't have. 

That film's awards success is a big example of the importance of campaigning.

True.  It is going to be at the Dubai Film Festival, but that is pretty late in 'making up your minds' for awards season.  I think it has hit the buttons that it could be considered for awards, but what I most want from this is for it to be a big box office hit. 

I'm used to Jen alternating between Oscar friendly indies and blockbusters, and if this is one of the latter, I won't shed tears.

1 minute ago, trifle said:

True.  It is going to be at the Dubai Film Festival, but that is pretty late in 'making up your minds' for awards season.  I think it has hit the buttons that it could be considered for awards, but what I most want from this is for it to be a big box office hit. 

I'm used to Jen alternating between Oscar friendly indies and blockbusters, and if this is one of the latter, I won't shed tears.

That seems like just a Dubai premiere - nothing to do with awards season. It's not part of 'the circuit' as it were.

It's obvious the approach is for a big blockbuster hit, not an awards contender like Arrival. Gravity and Interstellar tried both, Martian is just pure luck based on fantastic awards campaigning.

• Like 1

The last movie that combined scifi with romance didn't quite work . I'm talking about Oblivion. It had a good opening, but shit legs cos it was bad.  Passengers has the hot stars of the momentum so expect a good opening.

I read the script.Nothing really interesting happens. it's boring. I'm expecting bad reviews. 

Edited by Alli

3 minutes ago, antovolk said:

That seems like just a Dubai premiere - nothing to do with awards season. It's not part of 'the circuit' as it were.

How can you tell?  Do you have a list of entrees or something?

I truly don't mind if this is a blockbuster, but I'd be interested to know.

10 minutes ago, trifle said:

Let's just say it is a blockbuster. There is no Awards thing going on here. Maybe it gets a few technic nominations, but that is it. Sony won't even try.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, trifle said:

Like I said, Dubai isn't part of the typical awards season festival circuit (Venice, Telluride, TIFF, NY, London), besides they haven't announced their film programme yet and the only thing people are basing it being shown there on is that the official social media accounts for the fest are tweeting about the film bc Tyldum/Imitation Game was at the fest.

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 1