Iron Man 3 (2013)  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

They basically wanted to Dark Knight Rises RDJ with that end sequence. Give him an exit strategy so they can put another actor in the suit. It seemed a bit rushed. The surgery part was the worst since as many have mentioned... Why now? Are we to believe that medical technology has finally advanced enough? If so they should say that!

It's not that the technology was finally there for surgery (as it was prob there during 2 and maybe even 1) it's that Tony didn't want to give up the arc reactor as he thought that was the only way he could stay Iron Man...now with extremis, and him figuring out and finishing the correct formula, he seemingly injected it into himself and can still be Iron Man without the chest reactor.
  • Like 2

Being a fan of the armor I was hoping for more memorable Iron-Man scenes in IM3. IMO the major action sequences with Iron-Man (suited...Action Jackson Tony Stark doesn't count) from all the films are (ranked from best to worst with my notes):Iron-man defends New York (Avengers) Goes without saying...

Iron-man vs Thor (Avengers) Pretty much establishes the class he's in when he hangs with Thor for a bit.

Iron-man vs. Iron Monger (IM1) Stane is arguably the best villain from all the independent IM films.

Suitcase Iron-man vs Whiplash (IM2) Establishes alternate suits well...fun moment when he wraps up whip to close for the haymaker

Iron-man and War Machine vs the Hammerroids (IM2) I love the sequence in the 'kill-zone'.

Iron-Man rescues the villagers from the terrorists/fights the F-16s (or were they Raptors?) (IM1)

Cast-Iron-Man in the caves of Afghanistan (IM1)

Iron-man and Helicarrier (Avengers)

Drunken Iron-man vs War Machine (IM2)

Iron-man and War Machine vs  armored Whiplash (IM2)

Iron-man vs the helicopters (IM3) Guy that can hang with Thor is caught with his pants down :(

Remote Control-man vs Air force 1 (IM3) I agree that his Google Glasses lessen the heroism here.

Multiple Iron-men vs Extremis (IM3) All the suits being a bit of a blur here lessens the impact of seeing them IMO.Keep in mind that I'm not strictly rating based on quality of special effects etc (although I will say some of the lower budget scenes in the first film haven't aged well and the house destruction sequence in IM3 stands out as the most obvious/cartoony CGI out of all the films).  It's more on their 'Iron-manishness'. Is he kicking ass and taking names? Or floundering around in a busted ass prototype suit? :)

It's not that the technology was finally there for surgery (as it was prob there during 2 and maybe even 1) it's that Tony didn't want to give up the arc reactor as he thought that was the only way he could stay Iron Man...now with extremis, and him figuring out and finishing the correct formula, he seemingly injected it into himself and can still be Iron Man without the chest reactor.

Do we know for sure he injects himself with Extremis? I didn't get the impression that he did.  He does in the comics but I don't get the impression he does in the movie. The whole arc reactor thing was always a bit of a 'organic webshooters' for me....but it worked well enough in the first two films...odd that they just toss it in the third and suddenly require his suits to have an additional power source to service the plot.

I suppose they could make the argument that Extemis allowed him to survive the surgery due to it's enhanced healing abilities. Except that they DON'T bother to suggest that which is just lazy. 

• Like 2

And with all the remote control going on (as well as the automated suit that scares Pepper after Tony's nightmare) it's established that the suits can operate WITHOUT the chest piece, but that's not the same as explaining why the chest piece can't augment the suit when worn. :(

Ultimately it's laziness....they felt like they needed a weakened suit to add drama so they made it so. Kind of like Star Trek spends half it's time 'breaking' the transporter so our heroes can sense some danger.

And I should add that I'm fine with a little 'fact' manipulation to service the plot as long as they at least TRY to gloss it over. Look at Joss with Avengers...he's more familiar with the genre so he covers his tracks better. Thor trapped in Asgard after Thor 1? One seemingly throwaway line about 'dark energy' allows him to get past it and get on with it.

Edited by Adm56

Why would he need Extremis to be Iron Man without the reactor in his chest? Stane was able to get into and operate a much bigger iron suit without having the reactor in his chest. You just need a reactor in the suit itself. Done deal.

This works too, basically how Rhodey uses war machine, etc. Just figured with the extremis usage in the comics and that being a big part of the movie, they kind of imply Tony injected himself with the figured out correct formula.

And with all the remote control going on (as well as the automated suit that scares Pepper after Tony's nightmare) it's established that the suits can operate WITHOUT the chest piece, but that's not the same as explaining why the chest piece can't augment the suit when worn. :(

Ultimately it's laziness....they felt like they needed a weakened suit to add drama so they made it so. Kind of like Star Trek spends half it's time 'breaking' the transporter so our heroes can sense some danger.

And I should add that I'm fine with a little 'fact' manipulation to service the plot as long as they at least TRY to gloss it over. Look at Joss with Avengers...he's more familiar with the genre so he covers his tracks better. Thor trapped in Asgard after Thor 1? One seemingly throwaway line about 'dark energy' allows him to get past it and get on with it.

In IM1, only the reactor in Stark's chest was powering the suit. In IM2, Stark redesigned all the suits up to that point to have their own arc reactors, as evidenced by Rhodes taking the arc reactor out of the Mark II.

This was great. So much fun. RDJ and KINGsley were sensational. King Ben must be seen to be believed and trust me hype is earned. Trevor is such a unique, terrific character and twist, so much so that once he is out of the picture the movie suffers more than DU did after Schultz/Candie demise. The reason is that Extremis is a stupid plot hard to get invested in. It was there as a plot device and felt that way. I`d say that and really boring Killian and useless Maya were the only things that didn`t work. I`m not fan of Cheadle either but he wasn`t the problem. However, the rest is pure adrenaline rush through comedy so if you want to have fun look no further.

Funny trivia: Jessica Chastain turned down Maya for ZDT Maya. Epic choice since IM3 Maya won`t do shit for Rebecca Hall`s career while ZDT Maya made Jessica a bone fide star.

• Like 5

Funny trivia: Jessica Chastain turned down Maya for ZDT Maya. Epic choice since IM3 Maya won`t do shit for Rebecca Hall`s career while ZDT Maya made Jessica a bone fide star.

Yep. Not surprised she turned it down after seeing the movie. Useless character

• Like 1

I think (think, I'm not speaking for you) that unless there's stuff that outright doesn't work, dissecting the logistics of an Iron Man movie's plot are borderline pointless. Avengers and IM1 are riddled with the same stuff. When I find the themes and characters and action and humor to be this fresh and engaging, I don't pay too much attention to the little things. 

• Like 2

That`s true. It`s just that some illogical stuff is so well done so you don`t care while other is like a sour thumb. I`d say that in illogial awesomeness of IM3 Extremis is the sour thumb. But one thumb among 8 great fingers and 1 great thumb isn`t much.

What I`m really pissed off is all the awards attention Bardem got for his Poor Man`s Joker. They should have waited for KINGsley because Trevor is such a unique character, the performence and script were so brilliantly blanded it`s just incredible. Please bring him back for Trevor Effect!

Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

This was great. So much fun. RDJ and KINGsley were sensational. King Ben must be seen to be believed and trust me hype is earned. Trevor is such a unique, terrific character and twist, so much so that once he is out of the picture the movie suffers more than DU did after Schultz/Candie demise. The reason is that Extremis is a stupid plot hard to get invested in. It was there as a plot device and felt that way. I`d say that and really boring Killian and useless Maya were the only things that didn`t work. I`m not fan of Cheadle either but he wasn`t the problem. However, the rest is pure adrenaline rush through comedy so if you want to have fun look no further.

she didn't turn it down. She was actually cast and had to drop out

The Maderin is to Iron man/Tony Stark what the Joker is to Batman/Bruce Wayne.  This is why the Plot Twist didn't work to me.  You also advertised it as one Big Showdown with Tony and his arch nemesis and we didn't get that.  Killien is a new character that introduce to Iron Man back in 2005.  The Maderin has more history.  Most fans let the changing of the race thing go but you could of atleast kept the rings and had Ben Kingsley and Tony in one badass final showdown.  The Twist threw the whole movie off.  Also if you are going to have the whole Extremis stuff with fire breathing and powers then adding Supernatural elements with the Maderin rings shouldn't of been an issue.  I'm not even an comic book or Iron man fanboy but that twist was disrespectful to how much a villain THe Maderin is to Iron Man.  If the Joker was changed drastically in Batman fans would riot so there shouldn't be a surprise there are fans upset with making Iron Man's biggest villain into a cheap plotline for laughs. 

• Like 1

I don't get this argument. Mandarin is not to IM what Joker is to Batman or what Loki is to Thor because those guys are actually good characters. Mandarin is crap and racist. He may be Iron Man's main villain but that doesn't mean he's better than any C-list Batman villain because he's not. I love the twist, comics Mandarin sucks.

• Like 3

Iron-man 4 will have a reverse reveal. Trevor will escape from white collar prison when abducted by aliens who...drawn to earth by his broadcasts having reached them Galaxy Quest/'Contact'/SETI style...give him ten 'magic' rings of cosmic power.  The rings damage his already drug addled brain resulting in his mind clinging to his Mandarin persona...acting it out with horrific effect!

There...I fixed it for the fanyboys. :)

• Like 1

I don't get this argument. Mandarin is not to IM what Joker is to Batman or what Loki is to Thor because those guys are actually good characters. Mandarin is crap and racist. He may be Iron Man's main villain but that doesn't mean he's better than any C-list Batman villain because he's not. I love the twist, comics Mandarin sucks.

Actually IM3 maderin sucks, the comic maderin is cannon and apart of the whole history of Iron Man. It's not a matter of being better than The Joker or Loki as characters  Wither or not the character is good has nothing to do with the history of the character.  In the Iron Man world The Manderin is HIS Villian.  The entire movie was advertised on this battle with Tony and the Maderin and that didn't happen.  As for the character being racist they aren't going to write it that way in this era. They still could of had Kingsley with the rings being faithful to the character instead they did a lazy twist.  

Actually IM3 maderin sucks, the comic maderin is cannon and apart of the whole history of Iron Man. It's not a matter of being better than The Joker or Loki as characters Wither or not the character is good has nothing to do with the history of the character. In the Iron Man world The Manderin is HIS Villian. The entire movie was advertised on this battle with Tony and the Maderin and that didn't happen. As for the character being racist they aren't going to write it that way in this era. They still could of had Kingsley with the rings being faithful to the character instead they did a lazy twist.

Agreed. They could have still done the proper Mandarin without being racist
  • Like 1