Iron Man 3 (2013)  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Umm Mandarin was changed precisely because of China ... they are strict with the portrayal of Chinese and if he was this OTT offensive chinese villain they would ban the film 

At World's End had to cut Chow Yun Fat's character cause of film's primitive portrayal of Chinese 

btw its the least problem with the film 

uneven pacing, plot holes and numerous other things are much more important 

how about changing his clothes, video backgrounds and hell also the name? Because the name just doesnt make sense.

I agree its not the main problem, but its there and the more i think about it the more absurd it looks

Edited by Omario
  • Like 1

The first viewing I gave it a 7 but on the second I give it a 6.8....not that big a differemce.  I still enjoyed much of it but I just really can't get past the Extremis stuff.  I know Hulk is as much of a suspension of disbelief also, but invincible firestarters with dragon like qualities just doesn't do it for me.....and the twist really deflates multiple viewings.

• Like 1

If I had to work on a scale of 10- 

Avengers: 9/10 

IM3: 8/10 

IM1: 8/10 

Cap: 7/10 

Thor: 6/10

IM2: 5/10 

But IM3 > IM1 if only because the third act wasn't dull as rocks. Both have some hiccups along the way... IM1 has the stronger opening. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 2

If I had to work on a scale of 10- 

Avengers: 9/10 

IM3: 8/10 

IM1: 8/10 

Cap: 7/10 

Thor: 6/10

IM2: 5/10 

But IM3 > IM1 if only because the third act wasn't dull as rocks. Both have some hiccups along the way... IM1 has the stronger opening. 

I'm shockingly very close to that:

Avengers:  9.5/10

IM1:  9/10

IM3:  7/10

Thor: 7/10

Cap: 6.5/10

IM2: 6/10

how about changing his clothes, video backgrounds and hell also the name? Because the name just doesnt make sense.

I agree its not the main problem, but its there and the more i think about it the more absurd it looks

You can chalk it up to the fact that he's a made up persona ... therefore there's no need for it to make sense 

That's the running theme of the movie ( nonsense ) just look at Guy Pearce aka The Dragon  

• Like 1

The first viewing I gave it a 7 but on the second I give it a 6.8....not that big a differemce.  I still enjoyed much of it but I just really can't get past the Extremis stuff.  I know Hulk is as much of a suspension of disbelief also, but invincible firestarters with dragon like qualities just doesn't do it for me.....and the twist really deflates multiple viewings.

In the original comic the Extremis guy (yes there was only one) could breathe fire, but most of his combat ability was due to strength and speed...there wasn't as much 'melting' going on. Tony took Extremis himself to decrease his reaction time so he could compete with the guy. So I'm actually okay with how the movie handles them, but there are way too many other things thrown in to service the plot that make no (even comic book) sense:The Mark 42 was constantly out of power, but previous models were entirely powered by the arc reactor in his chest.How exactly did the one Extremis woman subdue Iron Patriot? Its like they allocated 10 seconds of screen time to get it done and couldn't come up with anything that made sense that would be quick enough.And as others have mentioned no real sense of what actually killed the Extremis dudes. In the original comic he pretty much had to completely destroy them past the ability of their enhanced healing properties to repair. Here they are seen hanging from utility wires etc.I was still entertained for the most part but a bit disappointed in the lack of internal consistently. IMO Marvel Studios has handled that area well for the most part in their previous films.
  • Like 2

After sleeping on it, my grade would go down to an A-, but I still need to rewatch for full assessment. Some observations though:

- Tony having the shrapnel removed surgically with no issue seriously cheapens Iron Man 2, which was already a disappointing film.

- I understand they wanted it to be a standalone movie, but Tony's house is destroyed, Guaman's Chinese Theater blows up, and worst of all, the President is almost killed on live TV but SHIELD is nowhere in sight? Just felt a tad awkward.

- My MCU Ranking: Avengers>Captain America>Iron Man>>Thor=Iron Man 3>>>Iron Man 2>The Incredible Hulk

Frankly, I'm glad about the twist. Kingsley would have joined the long assembly line of Joker-influenced villains like Skyfall's Bardem and ST's Cumberbatch to name a few if they had played straight with The Mandarin, but the twist made him unique and awesome.

Bardem was awesome in Skyfall. Not sure why you're bashing it.

• Like 3

^ CA second??? Wow, that's a new one. CA was easily the worst/weakest for me, interesting ranking on that one.

I have a definite soft-spot for CA; in my mind, it's the Indy 4 I always wanted. Love the pulp adventure vibe.

After sleeping on it, my grade would go down to an A-, but I still need to rewatch for full assessment. Some observations though: - Tony having the shrapnel removed surgically with no issue seriously cheapens Iron Man 2, which was already a disappointing film.- I understand they wanted it to be a standalone movie, but Tony's house is destroyed, Guaman's Chinese Theater blows up, and worst of all, the President is almost killed on live TV but SHIELD is nowhere in sight? Just felt a tad awkward.- My MCU Ranking: Avengers>Captain America>Iron Man>>Thor=Iron Man 3>>>Iron Man 2>The Incredible Hulk

They basically wanted to Dark Knight Rises RDJ with that end sequence. Give him an exit strategy so they can put another actor in the suit. It seemed a bit rushed. The surgery part was the worst since as many have mentioned... Why now? Are we to believe that medical technology has finally advanced enough? If so they should say that!
  • Like 1

They basically wanted to Dark Knight Rises RDJ with that end sequence. Give him an exit strategy so they can put another actor in the suit. It seemed a bit rushed. The surgery part was the worst since as many have mentioned... Why now? Are we to believe that medical technology has finally advanced enough? If so they should say that!

I do think it's hilarious that they basically retconned a major plot point of IM2. It's kind of funny that they seem to be disowning that film. Black made some comments about IM2 before IM3 came out that weren't very flattering for IM2. Feige obviously signed off on it, so I bet he isn't a big fan of IM2 either. The more that film gets dumped on by Marvel, the better IMHO. Needs to fall into the dustbin of history.

• Like 2

I do think it's hilarious that they basically retconned a major plot point of IM2. It's kind of funny that they seem to be disowning that film. Black made some comments about IM2 before IM3 came out that weren't very flattering for IM2. Feige obviously signed off on it, so I bet he isn't a big fan of IM2 either. The more that film gets dumped on by Marvel, the better IMHO. Needs to fall into the dustbin of history.

Must be awkward for Jon Favreau.

• Like 1

LOL, maybe but maybe not. There was a shitload of studio interference on that film. Maybe he hates it too.

He probably does, but I still feel bad for him. Looks like he gained a fair amount of weight in this film too.

Cowboys and Aliens probably haunting him.

• Like 1

LOL, maybe but maybe not. There was a shitload of studio interference on that film. Maybe he hates it too.

I don't find the Avengers tie in stuff in IM2 all that distracting anymore....but of course the film still has others problems.

And Favreau will always have Paris (IM1) at least...

• Like 2

I don't find the Avengers tie in stuff in IM2 all that distracting anymore....but of course the film still has others problems.

And Favreau will always have Paris (IM1) at least...

haha, yep. IM1 is still the best MCU film for me. There is just a magic quality about that film. Perfect blend of humor and heart.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 3