Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

I could never relate to Maguire to be honest and when TASM casting possibilities were revealed, Andrew Garfield was my first choice from the list and Logan Lerman my 2nd. So was thrilled to have Garfield picked!!

The biggest "turn" I have seen were Batfans turning on Jack Nicholson post-TDK. Up until Ledger's tragic death, diehards were swearing up and down that this "gay cowboy" would not be able to hold a light to the brilliant Jack's interpretation of the Joker. And once TDK came out, the chants from the exact same people were all "Jack was so incredibly laaaaaammmme!!"  :rofl:  :rofl:

That's not quite the timeline I remember. I remember people doing a complete 180 when the December trailer came out. That was a month BEFORE Ledger's death. When people got a bunch of footage of his performance in that trailer, that is when the mood changed from mocking the gay cowboy to realizing he had knocked it out of the park.

The genius of Marvel Studios Avengers strategy is they can make endless mediocre Iron Man movies because the Avengers effect will erase memories of the last IM movie.

Just wait until IM4 after Avengers 2.

The genius of Marvel Studios Avengers strategy is they can make endless mediocre Iron Man movies because the Avengers effect will erase memories of the last IM movie.

Just wait until IM4 after Avengers 2.

I don't think that's a good thing  :lol:

Proud to say I found Nicholson's Joker overrated long before we saw any footage of TDK, and I'm a big fan of that movie. De Vito and especially Pfeiffer >>>>>

I didn't care for Nicholson at all as the Joker. I would constantly argue with people about that for years. All I heard was that no one can do that part better. He was the best there ever could be as the Joker. Blah blah blah.

When Ledger hit it out of the ballpark, I remembered those arguments. Unfortunately, I don't talk to those losers who I was arguing with anymore. But, I feel satisfied knowing that they're probably a bunch of hypocrites who are now praising Ledger like everyone else. Ledger was just right for the Joker.

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 1

That's not quite the timeline I remember. I remember people doing a complete 180 when the December trailer came out. That was a month BEFORE Ledger's death. When people got a bunch of footage of his performance in that trailer, that is when the mood changed from mocking the gay cowboy to realizing he had knocked it out of the park.

Trailer in December hushed the naysayers a bit but Heath's death just a month later shut most of them up for good. There were still a few impudent ones who swore that Nicholson would never be replaceable right till TDK release.

Proud to say I found Nicholson's Joker overrated long before we saw any footage of TDK, and I'm a big fan of that movie. De Vito and especially Pfeiffer >>>>>

I'm proud to say I found Nicholson overrated as an actor from the first movie I saw him in. :ph34r:

Sunday drops are tricky for huge openers their first weekend. Average drop is usually around 30% which makes the 28% projection seem reasonable. But, just last year The Avengers dropped a mere 18% from its record breaking Saturday. Expecting that would be a little too much but IM3 did have a better Sat. increase so I guess anything is possible. Right now I'm thinking a drop around 22-23% like SM3 will happen. Assuming the Friday and Saturday estimates are accurate that would be an OW around 178-179m. 180m appears to be a real long shot but not completely out of the cards.

• Like 1

I loved Jack's performance, but he certainly didn't inhabit the role to the point that you didn't recognize him. You could still tell it was Jack Nicholson. Same voice and the makeup didn't really hide his face. With Ledger it was a complete transformation. He had the bizarre Tom Waits/James Cagney voice and the smeared makeup made him look like a completely different person. The funny thing is the smeared makeup was a huge point of contention at SHH for about 6 months. But at the end of the day, it actually helped create a suspension of disbelief between the actor and character he was portraying.