Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

Most of the superhero movies I really really like get an 8/10. I think that's a fair grade to express that I enjoyed myself and the film works in every way it ought to but that I still recognize how stupid most of this stuff actually is

Edited by Chewy
  • Like 1

Do most folks agree that Iron Man had the single best eneding of any superhero movie ever?

EDIT: Actually, let me change that to the 2 best endings of any superhero movie?

Dark Knight had a powerful ending with Batman being hunted, but the simplicity of the 4-word falcon punch "I am Iron Man" just left everyone floored, both the reporters on screen and the moviegoers watching in theaters. Such a short simple sentence that just blew everyone away.

And of course, I just remembered Iron Man had that second ending too, a scene that promised to take movies to a place they had never gone before. To think Avengers is just the beginning, just the tip of the iceberg of that payoff for the Nick Fury post-credits scene.

Iron Man has a great ending (weakened a bit by the Sabbath song being used in the credits right after), but I would put Batman '89, Batman Returns, Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight's endings a little bit higher.

• Like 1

Pepper's death is like Gordon's death in TDK. You didn't believe either one of them was real because the characters are historically too important to kill them off. And sure enough neither of them really died. Who didn't see it coming?

I must be dumb cause Gordon death and comeback shocked me.

I just have a big problem going to IMDB and voting a 10 to something with that kind of big flaw in the plot when I'm also giving out 10's to true classics like Sunset Boulevard or Casablanca.

TA and TDK are the only 10s I've given. Those are just so engrossing that I can gloss over any minor issues.

• Like 1

Most of the superhero movies I really really like get an 8/10. I think that's a fair grade to express that I enjoyed myself and the film works in every way it aught to but that I still recognize how stupid most of this stuff actually is

Exactly. Haven't given any superhero film above an 8.5 because I have yet to see one that truly has a flawless plot.

TA and TDK are the only 10s I've given. Those are just so engrossing that I can gloss over any minor issues.

Both of them have like 15 minutes that bother the shit out of me and keep me from giving them above an 8. Other than that, they are really great movies.

9/10 for me but yeah those two are at the top of the pack

It's because it's inherent that I don't bother penalizing them for it. 

A lot of superhero movies are built around some crazy scheme or crazy machine with technical jargon right out of Geordi's engine room in STTNG. Even though Avengers had the Tesseract, I think a lot of folks found it easy to relate to the threat from "alien invasion". That's a very understandable threat.

Personally, I loved Thor, because despite all the magic and rainbow bridges and whatnot, it boiled down to a story of brother vs brother.

• Like 3

It's a movie that keeps getting better. First 20 minutes = troublingly bad. Next hour = really good stuff. Hour after that = I-feel-like-a-kid-in-a-comic-book-store goodness. 

• Like 2

It's a movie that keeps getting better. First 20 minutes = troublingly bad. Next hour = really good stuff. Hour after that = I-feel-like-a-kid-in-a-comic-book-store goodness. 

Which is crazy because usually the third act is where these movies completely fall apart

• Like 2