Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

I will never forget the week before New Moon released and I made a huge joke post that it was going to have an $83m OD...one week later, and Nikki estimates that it's heading to an $80m OD.

Man, that was scary for me. 

That reminds me of when Lancer posted the fake $27m Monday number for TDK and it almost came true, ha.

• Like 1

I don't care what anyone says...but nothing can come close to topping DH2 for me. That was the best experience for me. No movie has came even close (with the exception of THG and TDKR). But still pretty below DH2. 

The icing on the cake was stuffing all the people who supported Transformers with shit. 

Yea, that opening day and opening weekend blew me away.  You were always very confident in your prediction that it would blow up.

I don't care what anyone says...but nothing can come close to topping DH2 for me. That was the best experience for me. No movie has came even close (with the exception of THG and TDKR). But still pretty below DH2. The icing on the cake was stuffing all the people who supported Transformers with shit.

Topping it how? In terms of BO or quality of movie? Because after OD BO wise it was rather weak and the quality of the film itself was alright.

I think my most memorable time at Mojo post 2004 was the NM stuff.  I wasn't even a Twilight fan before NM came out.  Then I read the books that summer and started following the absolute lunacy that Twilight had.  Predicting the 100 mill OW for NM was one of the best calls I ever made probably ever in my life and the ribbing I took in that thread in the months leading up to NM and then the crow I got to serve after was one of my fondest memories of posting on movie forums.  So much fun.

Definitely one of your best calls. Most of us were predicting 80-90m or so, and then it nearly topped that on OD!  :rofl:

Edited by Heretic

Yea, that opening day and opening weekend blew me away.  You were always very confident in your prediction that it would blow up.

I was pretty confident that it would blow up, but not to the extent that it did. Its overseas gross just shocked the fuck out of me.

• Like 1

I felt absolutely zero percent of the Twi-hype, like I totally wasn't aware of it at all, so the numbers for the first and second movie really slapped me in the face.

New Moon came out when I was just starting to follow box office, and I barely knew anything about it other than that it was the sequel to Twilight. It breaking out came out of nowhere. I remember reading that it had broken the opening day record and saying to one of my friends something along the lines of, "It beat The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 3! I mean, say what you will about Spider-Man 3..."

Topping it how? In terms of BO or quality of movie? Because after OD BO wise it was rather weak and the quality of the film itself was alright.

It wasn't weak. It was just insanely frontloaded. It's the eighth film in a franchise. 

There is NOTHING weak about DH2's box office run. That's ridiculous.

• Like 1

It wasn't weak. It was just insanely frontloaded. It's the eighth film in a franchise. There is NOTHING weak about DH2's box office run. That's ridiculous.

It grossed $125m the weekend AFTER midnights, not exactly impressive when that first # is $43.5m (which yes is very impressive 3D or not)

Definitely one of your best calls. Most of us were predicting 80-90m or so, and then it nearly topped that on OD!  :rofl:

Yea, I remember many people were still doubting it even as the midnight sellouts came pouring in.  It's like no one could understand this avalanche of attention the film was getting.  I saw it in Montreal on the first Saturday and the clerk working that day was mad because it was so busy the night before.   :rofl:

On the flippity flip, Twilight is fucking gone.

No shit. it feels like it was never there. The Robsten hype, MTV MA, relentless EW covers are all gone. I don`t see book readers, I don`t overhear conversation. Just gone with the wind.

New Moon came out when I was just starting to follow box office, and I barely knew anything about it other than that it was the sequel to Twilight. It breaking out came out of nowhere. I remember reading that it had broken the opening day record and saying to one of my friends something along the lines of, "It beat The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 3! I mean, say what you will about Spider-Man 3..."

I totally thought the hype for that film was just a US thing, nobody I knew knew anything about it, but when I went to see New Moon on the sunday of that weekend, just to see what the fuss was about, the cinema was absolutely packed pretty much all day. Me and four friends shared an aisle with a very large woman who spent a good amount of the film crying...

• Like 1

It wasn't weak. It was just insanely frontloaded. It's the eighth film in a franchise. 

One cna argue about dom perforemnce but OS gross was and still is mindblowing.

New Moon OW was a crazy time at BOM. I couldn't follow the conversation in the foruns. Pages were being added in the main Friday Numbers thread by the second.

• Like 1

Agreed.  380 million dollars for an 8th film is just ridiculous.  And that's not even taking into consideration the 960 mill it made internationally.