baumer

The Great Gatsby (2013)

51 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

At the beginning of Inception Dom Cobb emerges out of the ocean having survived Titanic, but at the end of the movie he is shown to be dreaming, which means in real life he must be Jay Gatsby! All of these Leonardo Dicaprio movies are connected

• Like 1

An absolutely horrible film. Pointless and boring and really awful.3/10

Wha??! I'd give it a B+. The beginning is so electric and nonstop. It does drag about in some parts, which lowers it from A-/A territory. Music and cinematography are great.
  • Like 1

The first 5 minutes of the film, I knew something was wrong.  The females talked like they were caricatures of New Yorkers in the 20's.  They talked fast and they spoke like they were in a cartoon, which took me out of the film right away.  Now I have never read Gatsby, I don't know anything about Gatsby so none of this made any sense to me.  Where did he get the money to throw all the parties, the gazillion dollar house, the fancy cars, the money and everything?  And he did this all for the love of a shallow, horrible woman.  She was seduced by wealth and fame and power and money.  If she wasn't, she would have just went with Jay.  

The film is all over the place.  I did like Leo in it and I thought Maguire and Mulligan were good as well.  The production design was ridiculously well done and the choreographer for this film should win some kind of an award.  But the film fell flat to me in every way.  I didn't really care about anyone and every person in here with the exception of Nick Carraway, was pretty much an idiot or an asshole.

I just couldn't get into the story or the characters and to me it was one big bore.

And do not see this in 3D, what a colossal rip off. 

• Like 2

The book delves quite extensively into Gatsby's backstory, though it wouldn't surprise me to hear that Luhrmann couldn't be bothered with all that stuff.

He definitely touches on it but really not as much as I would have liked.  And it really doesn't explain where he gets his wealth from.  To have what he has in the film, to do what he does in the film, he would need Donald Trump money, not just a wealthy bootlegger kind of money.  It's all very strange.

Does the book ever explicitly say where he gets his wealth from? I can't remember but I don't believe so. 

It says that he gets it from Prohibition stuff in the film.  But that's not realistic.  The parties he throws alone would be about a million bucks in todays money.

It totally baffles me why a film like this needs a massive CGI budget.

Yep, but they had to make 1920's NY, kind of tough to do when you are showing the bird's eye view of it every other shot.

I think that's just one of the problems with the books. His parties are known to be the most lavish in the book.

I think you're being a bit literal there - while the book is (deliberately) hazy on the details of Gatsby's wealth, there wouldn't be much drama is he only threw 'quite lavish' parties. :lol:

• Like 1